Enabling Remote Start on 2018 Intelligent Access (315 MHz)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Enabling Remote Start on 2018 Intelligent Access (315 MHz)?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2018 XLT with the 315 MHz intelligent access fob - no options other than towing package, so I don't have climate control or heated seats or a heated steering wheel.

I did a search here and found a thread that talked in-depth about remote start but said the 2016-2019 were 902 MHz remote start fobs and 315 MHz non-remote start fobs. However, the pre-16 fobs are 315 MHz (Cigar shaped like my 2014 SHO). Would these older fobs work on the 2018 that also use 315 MHz?

315MHz Fob.jpg

315 MHz Fob 2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No those will not work. Your only authorized OEM solution is to use the ford accessories remote start. It should also be possible to convert it to 902mhz and use those fobs but to do it properly you need to replace the fob receiver (antenna) in the vehicle and do some vehicle reprogramming and be able to perform fob programming (btw this method is not Ford approved).

No those will not work. Your only authorized OEM solution is to use the ford accessories remote start. It should also be possible to convert it to 902mhz and use those fobs but to do it properly you need to replace the fob receiver (antenna) in the vehicle and do some vehicle reprogramming and be able to perform fob programming (btw this method is not Ford approved).

OK thank you. At first I assumed because my 2018 is 315 MHz that the 2015 315 MHz fobs would work as well. I'd imagine converting to 902 MHz would be more than just changing the antenna, the modules are most likely different as well? In this case, I'll just man up and wear winter gear while driving. The interior is never that hot in the summer, even after parking in the sun for hours (black cloth, no sunroof).

OK thank you. At first I assumed because my 2018 is 315 MHz that the 2015 315 MHz fobs would work as well. I'd imagine converting to 902 MHz would be more than just changing the antenna, the modules are most likely different as well? In this case, I'll just man up and wear winter gear while driving. The interior is never that hot in the summer, even after parking in the sun for hours (black cloth, no sunroof).
The only module that is different is the antenna for the fob. As I sad change that, do some programming changes and program the new the fobs.

The only module that is different is the antenna for the fob. As I sad change that, do some programming changes and program the new the fobs.
Do you happen to know if there are threads that cover this or have part numbers? If not no worries I will try to find out.

No write ups for the Explorer that I know of. It would involve changing out the RTM (which may be mounted in the center console) to the 902 mhz version. It may need to be programmed.

part #6

Remote start would need to be enabled and there are some bits in the vehicle programming that should be changed to reflect the change to the 902 mhz system as well.

You need two working 315mhz fobs in order to program the additional 902mhz fobs you would use. The 315mhz would no longer control button functions from the fob.

....and...from an RF standpoint...the difference between a 315MHz and 902MHz antenna is going to be minimal. You could try it as is and see if it works. I would assume it's only going to be a range issue but not enough to notice.

Out of boredom I did some searches and eventually randomly stumbled upon the fact the Ford Vehicle Security System can just bolt-on and enable remote start using the existing factory fobs: JS7Z-19A361-A. Lock, Unlock, Lock and it starts it up. Doing a search on Explorer Forums didn't show up much but lots of F-150 owners seemed to have been using this. There are some aftermarket versions of the same system floating around as well.

Yes that is available and can be found on accessories.ford.com

Your dealer should have been familiar with that as well.

Going 902 mhz would get better range and two way confirmation.

Yes that is available and can be found on accessories.ford.com

Your dealer should have been familiar with that as well.

Going 902 mhz would get better range and two way confirmation.

The local dealers are terrible and not interested in the after-sale support. They are primarily interested in pushing out new vehicles. I was just surprised that no one here really suggested the VSS - although now that I read your first post it was kind of implied. I just ordered it via another site once I found the part # from the Ford site.

The 902 MHz fobs aren't anything to write home about. My 2017 Fusion Sport uses the 902 MHz remote start with feedback LED. It's range is just as bad or worse than the 316 MHz fob for my 2018 Explorer. I've tested both before and the range is effectively 200' clear line of sight from an elevated position without obstructions. When using it indoors through walls and stuff, the range could be 25'-50' and the feedback LED is worthless since I can just hear/see if my car is running at that range.

What's worse is the 902 MHz operates in a crowded band so it is subject to interference. We had a steam boiler running remote telemetry broadcasting at 902-904 MHz at 30,000 times the power level of the fob. Everyone at work with a 2016-up Ford with the 902 MHz fob couldn't use their fobs, and I had trouble opening the door of my 2017 Fusion because it wouldn't even read the intelligent access due to the interference. People said they brought their vehicles to the dealer and couldn't find anything wrong. What clicked in my head was that the fobs worked fine when I was at home or away from work or at a different part of the facility. I even did range testing at an empty parking lot. Doing a spectrum analyzer scan identified that steam boiler as the source of that interference which stretched for almost half a mile or more in a specific direction. They changed the frequency and everything works fine.

The Ford Connect telematics / Ford Pass app is very convenient but I'm not that interested in the 4G remote option for the Ford VSS. I just want to be able to remote start my 2018 Explorer for a few minutes in the winter time because the heat comes on quick. I don't have automatic climate control, heated seats, or a heated steering wheel but it looks like I can use FORScan to at least enable the rear defroster/mirror defrosters to come on.

The local dealers are terrible and not interested in the after-sale support. They are primarily interested in pushing out new vehicles. I was just surprised that no one here really suggested the VSS - although now that I read your first post it was kind of implied. I just ordered it via another site once I found the part # from the Ford site.

The 902 MHz fobs aren't anything to write home about. My 2017 Fusion Sport uses the 902 MHz remote start with feedback LED. It's range is just as bad or worse than the 316 MHz fob for my 2018 Explorer. I've tested both before and the range is effectively 200' clear line of sight from an elevated position without obstructions. When using it indoors through walls and stuff, the range could be 25'-50' and the feedback LED is worthless since I can just hear/see if my car is running at that range.

What's worse is the 902 MHz operates in a crowded band so it is subject to interference. We had a steam boiler running remote telemetry broadcasting at 902-904 MHz at 30,000 times the power level of the fob. Everyone at work with a 2016-up Ford with the 902 MHz fob couldn't use their fobs, and I had trouble opening the door of my 2017 Fusion because it wouldn't even read the intelligent access due to the interference. People said they brought their vehicles to the dealer and couldn't find anything wrong. What clicked in my head was that the fobs worked fine when I was at home or away from work or at a different part of the facility. I even did range testing at an empty parking lot. Doing a spectrum analyzer scan identified that steam boiler as the source of that interference which stretched for almost half a mile or more in a specific direction. They changed the frequency and everything works fine.

The Ford Connect telematics / Ford Pass app is very convenient but I'm not that interested in the 4G remote option for the Ford VSS. I just want to be able to remote start my 2018 Explorer for a few minutes in the winter time because the heat comes on quick. I don't have automatic climate control, heated seats, or a heated steering wheel but it looks like I can use FORScan to at least enable the rear defroster/mirror defrosters to come on.
You are correct, 900 MHz will be less range given the same power of transmitters. What it will do, in theory, is work better inside of a building due to the higher wavelength being able to "bounce" around the walls/ceiling of a structure more. That being said, the higher the freq. the more susceptible to foliage attenuation and multipath fading it becomes.

Just as an update - I posted this in the How To: 2016 Explorer Remote Start forum, but I wanted to close the loop on my own thread in case anyone else has a similar inquiry in the future.

The JS7Z-19A361-A module is a bit different from the ones shown on here for 11-16 Explorers. On this December 2020 module, all of the connector ports and the shock sensitivity knob are on one side, so the mounting will be a bit different. But I installed it and the remote start feature works fine with the stock 315 MHz fob (3-keys, no factory remote start). Lock - Unlock - Lock and bam it remote starts!

The rear defrost stays on when I get in the vehicle to turn it on. I don't remember if this was normal for the factory remote start setups. Does anyone know? I have the climate set to Auto. Even with the manual HVAC system, I noticed the A/C compressor kicks on during a cold winter remote start, possibly for the front defog. I guess it makes sense since all of that can be electronically actuated with the exception of the manual temperature knob.

FORScan (or dealer/IDS) is required to enable Remote Start, the climate features, rear defrost, parking lights on when remote starting, heated steering wheel/heated seats (if applicable) etc...

For my 2018 XLT, it was only a 200A with tow package, so I didn't have heated anything. I enabled the rear/front defrost and HVAC system and set it to Auto. I'm curious how this will work with the manual HVAC system during remote start. I can hear the A/C compressor running and can feel the rear defroster.

I got my VSS from Fairway Ford and the manufacture date of the module was only a few weeks ago (December 2020). The labeling on the module's sealed bag said it was a 900 MHz module, but after thinking about it, the module doesn't need or use the antenna. It'd only interface via OBD2. The existing vehicle fobs/antenna wouldn't matter if it was 902 MHz or 315 MHz.

I don't see many people in this same scenario as myself because just doing a quick Autotrader used vehicle search, almost every 2017-2019 Explorer (even XLT) has the touch screen Nav system with Ford Connect, so they'd most likely have the remote start fob already.

I think I figured it out though, it is 733-07-01 that is important and this isn't even in my As-Built file from Ford for some reason.
Basically XXxx xxYY are the important values.
YY was default set to 70, which is 22*C for MyTemp or about 72F.
XX was default set to 10 (I think).

In FORScan if you use the normal HVAC configuration (not the As Built) you see several options: Driver / Pass seat heater, Steering Wheel Heater, Rear Defroster, and then the Remote Start Front Defrost, Remote Start Heater A/C, and Remote Start Quiet HVAC.

The RS Front Defrost and Quiet HVAC should be ON. But the RS Heater A/C doesn't seem to mean what it means. If I turn this ON, it changes the IPC menu for RS Climate to "Last Setting". When I turn it to Auto, it changes the As-Built value to RS Heater A/C Off.

Keep in mind my XLT is a 200A, so no touch screen, no EATC/auto HVAC system, no heated wheel/seats, etc...

It looks like I have to keep the Rear Defrost FORScan setting to ON in order for it to run during remote start. But during my testing, I found that the manual HVAC still adjusts to match the "My Temp" setting regardless of my temperature control knob. I had it on full cold with max fan, and during remote start it was blowing at a lukewarm temperature close to what I'd say is 72F with the A/C compressor running.

Just as an update - I posted this in the How To: 2016 Explorer Remote Start forum, but I wanted to close the loop on my own thread in case anyone else has a similar inquiry in the future.

The JS7Z-19A361-A module is a bit different from the ones shown on here for 11-16 Explorers. On this December 2020 module, all of the connector ports and the shock sensitivity knob are on one side, so the mounting will be a bit different. But I installed it and the remote start feature works fine with the stock 315 MHz fob (3-keys, no factory remote start). Lock - Unlock - Lock and bam it remote starts!

The rear defrost stays on when I get in the vehicle to turn it on. I don't remember if this was normal for the factory remote start setups. Does anyone know? I have the climate set to Auto. Even with the manual HVAC system, I noticed the A/C compressor kicks on during a cold winter remote start, possibly for the front defog. I guess it makes sense since all of that can be electronically actuated with the exception of the manual temperature knob.

FORScan (or dealer/IDS) is required to enable Remote Start, the climate features, rear defrost, parking lights on when remote starting, heated steering wheel/heated seats (if applicable) etc...

For my 2018 XLT, it was only a 200A with tow package, so I didn't have heated anything. I enabled the rear/front defrost and HVAC system and set it to Auto. I'm curious how this will work with the manual HVAC system during remote start. I can hear the A/C compressor running and can feel the rear defroster.

I got my VSS from Fairway Ford and the manufacture date of the module was only a few weeks ago (December 2020). The labeling on the module's sealed bag said it was a 900 MHz module, but after thinking about it, the module doesn't need or use the antenna. It'd only interface via OBD2. The existing vehicle fobs/antenna wouldn't matter if it was 902 MHz or 315 MHz.

I don't see many people in this same scenario as myself because just doing a quick Autotrader used vehicle search, almost every 2017-2019 Explorer (even XLT) has the touch screen Nav system with Ford Connect, so they'd most likely have the remote start fob already.
Rear defrost comes on normally in cold weather for me.

Do you know if it stays on after a remote start and you turn the ignition on?

My Fusion Sport was stored for the winter so I didn't want it to run the A/C compressor during a remote start, so I tested my dad's Fusion Sport. Ambient temp was 45F, and the rear defroster automatically turns on (mirrors heat up, same with rear glass) as does the A/C compressor for the front defroster and floor. When I turn the ignition on, the rear defroster stays on requiring me to turn it off. I just never paid attention to my 2014 SHO or my own 2017 Fusion Sport but I could have sworn I had to turn their rear defrosters off after a remote start as well.

So this answers my question.

Back