Transmission slips

Walt75

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi Guys
I have a 06 explorer with the 5R55s transmission. I put a remanufactured transmission in it about 2 years ago. Not many miles on it. When I stop at a red light or stop sign it will slip out of gear. I give it some gas and it goes back in gear. It’s been doing this since right after I put the transmission in. It’s full with fluid. I read somewhere it might be caused by the shift cable out of adjustment. Can anyone help me with this issue?
Thank you

Hi Guys
I have a 06 explorer with the 5R55s transmission. I put a remanufactured transmission in it about 2 years ago. Not many miles on it. When I stop at a red light or stop sign it will slip out of gear. I give it some gas and it goes back in gear. It’s been doing this since right after I put the transmission in. It’s full with fluid. I read somewhere it might be caused by the shift cable out of adjustment. Can anyone help me with this issue?
Thank you
I would have said low fluid at first but since you state it's good then my next might be the cable, but I don't think that would cause the issue as you described. I had a harsh shift into reverse after I replaced my transmission and needed to adjust it. Perhaps it's just an adjustment to the servos? I recall something about the servos that could cause problems like this but don't have the details right now. or It can be solved without removing the trans from the vehicle so that's a good thing.
Here's what I have on the shift cable adjustment:

Verify the shifter linkage is lined up properly through each range. If not, place the shifter in the manual low position (1st). Pop the shifter cable off the manual arm on the transmission. With a pick, pull the lock tab toward the outside to release the lock and slide the tab up. Move the lock and center it onto the manual arm ball. Snap the lock onto the ball and slide the lock tab down. Move the shifter handle into the neutral position and verify alignment.

Good luck

Steve

Back