• Register Today It's free!

2016 sync 3?

ddeg10

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Limited Explorer
I know this has been asked before but after searching through the forums I'm still trying to understand how to get sync 3 in a 2016 explorer. did certain models have sync 3 or the ability to easily upgrade to it? I'm currently in the market and I'm looking specifically at explorers with the Sony system. Would 2016 explorers with the Sony system be upgradable to sync 3? Or should I just skip the hassle and get a 2017?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is doable. It could cost anywhere from $500 to $1000+ depending on where you get the necessary parts and programming.

I put it in my 16 XLT a few years ago.

It is doable. It could cost anywhere from $500 to $1000+ depending on where you get the necessary parts and programming.

I put it in my 16 XLT a few years ago.
Does ford do this directly or would a local independent shop be aware of this process? Or is this a DIY thing? I'm looking for simple and easy. If it's a super hassle I'll get one with sync 3 already in it. But I'm noticing a lot of 2016s are priced really well which is why I'm considering a 16. Just wondered how simple the process might be.

I did it DIY. Ford wouldn't do it for you.

If you look around here and see what people did, it might be too much.

A 17 might be the way to go. Just my 2 cents.

I did it DIY. Ford wouldn't do it for you.

If you look around here and see what people did, it might be too much.

A 17 might be the way to go. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for letting me know. so there are zero 2016 explorers, even the platinum, that came with sync 3?

I believe it came with the 17’s. Not sure about late model year 16’s.

Thank you for letting me know. so there are zero 2016 explorers, even the platinum, that came with sync 3?
Sync 3 wasn't introduced to the Explorer until the 2017 models came out. Also, adding Sync 3 is not done via an upgrade. It requires new hardware etc.

Peter

Do yourself a favor and get a 17. There are other little added perks with getting that over the 16 as well. LED fog lamps come to over halogen plus I am sure there are other things depending on option packages.

Back