Display and Voice control of Climate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Display and Voice control of Climate

kenmklein

Reaction score
City, State
Wheaton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
2020 Explorer Platinum does not allow voice control of temperature and thermometer icon in bottom tray of the display is missing. What can be done to fix this situation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it only the climate that you can't control with voice commands?
Might have to take it to the dealer if that is currently an option given the virus situation.

Peter

Is it only the climate that you can't control with voice commands?
Might have to take it to the dealer if that is currently an option given the virus situation.

Peter
Yes, it's only the CLIMATE functions that don't display or respond to voice commands. My local selling dealer says this option is not available on my Platinum Explorer; I'm heading to Florida for the winter, so I may check with a dealer down there.

2020 Explorer Platinum does not allow voice control of temperature and thermometer icon in bottom tray of the display is missing. What can be done to fix this situation?
I went through the Symbols listed in the Manual and the only thermometer icon was for engine temperature. To get into the Climate settings you first have to press MENU. I don't have a thermometer icon displayed for Climate on my Aviator either. It would seem that if it were available, it would surely be on the Platinum. As for voice control, that should be available. I had it on my previous 2017 Platinum.

Peter

I went through the Symbols listed in the Manual and the only thermometer icon was for engine temperature. To get into the Climate settings you first have to press MENU. I don't have a thermometer icon displayed for Climate on my Aviator either. It would seem that if it were available, it would surely be on the Platinum. As for voice control, that should be available. I had it on my previous 2017 Platinum.

Peter
I've looked at several YouTube 2020 Explorer videos and none have the thermometer icon displaying on the bottom of the touch screen. Now I'm pretty well convinced the option is not there and never was. I still think the voice control option should be there, but . . . I can live a fulfilled life without this option!

I tried using voice command to change the climate temperature today and the reply was to use the buttons to control that.

I tried using voice command to change the climate temperature today and the reply was to use the buttons to control that.
That's a step backwards. According to the Manual, you can use voice commands to adjust the temperature. Page 442 of the 3rd printing.
Climate (If Equipped)
You can control the temperature of the
vehicle using voice commands.

Peter

To adjust the temperature, say:

Voice command
Description​
Set Temperature ___Adjust the temperature between 60–85°F (15.5–29.5°C).

Voice command
Description​
That voice command doesn't work on my 2020 Explorer Platinum.

Voice command
Description​
Hey Ricky, does that command work for you? I'm just wondering if it has to do with a setting. It works for me in the Aviator as I only use voice commands for temperature.

Peter

Explorer doesn’t support it. Simple as that. That’s the “if equipped” piece of the equation. Partly why we now attempt to catch those and tell you to use the controls as it can be a bit confusing seeing temperature pop-ups and such.

Explorer doesn’t support it. Simple as that. That’s the “if equipped” piece of the equation. Partly why we now attempt to catch those and tell you to use the controls as it can be a bit confusing seeing temperature pop-ups and such.
I'm a little disappointed in the explanation, but I accept the reality.

My 2017 Platinum allowed me to use voice commands for temperature. Seems like a step backwards that the 2020 doesn't.

Peter

Yep. Some programs have it, others don't. This is one item others might enable themselves via config changes and see if it actually works or not.

Yes, it's only the CLIMATE functions that don't display or respond to voice commands. My local selling dealer says this option is not available on my Platinum Explorer; I'm heading to Florida for the winter, so I may check with a dealer down there.

I believe I searched about voice commands for climate when we picked up our Explorer and I found out that those are no longer available. They were not carried over during the evolution/change in software/platform from SYNC 2 (MyFord Touch) to SYNC 3.

I believe I searched about voice commands for climate when we picked up our Explorer and I found out that those are no longer available. They were not carried over during the evolution/change in software/platform from SYNC 2 (MyFord Touch) to SYNC 3.
My previous 2017 Platinum had Sync 3 and voice commands for Climate, as does my Aviator.

Peter

That's a step backwards. According to the Manual, you can use voice commands to adjust the temperature. Page 442 of the 3rd printing.
Climate (If Equipped)
You can control the temperature of the
vehicle using voice commands.

Peter
I'm told there is TSB to address this missing information. TSB 21-2411

My previous 2017 Platinum had Sync 3 and voice commands for Climate, as does my Aviator.

Peter
Update. I don't know if it was due to recent updates installed but my Aviator no longer has the ability to control climate temperature settings using Voice Commands.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm told there is TSB to address this missing information. TSB 21-2411
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have any info on the TSB?

Peter

Back