• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer - Harsh Shifting

JB Dial

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer Limited
Update: The Ford representative called me back. They are speaking with the service director at my local dealership to determine the next part or group of parts above what is needed in the bulletin since they are unable to get all of the parts in because of a national back order. She communicated they are discussing whether or not to replace the entire transmission as the next logical step to take. I am not sure how I feel about this I believe I would rather replace parts than an entire transmission at this point but I am no mechanic.

We have a 2020 Limited Explorer. It is harsh shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. Not sure which and it generally seems to be when we leave the house initially for the day. Initially the TSB for transmission cooler replacement showed up on my wife's Ford Pass app so we took in to have replaced. Still experiencing issues. I dont know the exact mileage but it was at the last oil change so probably around 10K miles. Car currently has 14K miles on the odometer and is approx. 1 year old next month.

I took the car back into the dealership and I was informed there was a new bulletin dated November 19, 2020 - titled 10R60/10R80-Harsh Engagement/Harsh Shift/Delayed Shift with or without DTCs.

I was told the parts are on back order Nationwide but include Main Valve Body and approx 8 more parts if need replacement after inspection.

I was also told by the technician and the Service Desk staff that it was ok for me to drive the vehicle - more about this in a minute.

Somewhat frustrated I called Ford and initiated a customer service ticket with them. I explained I had 3 concerns:
1. Longevity of the car
2. Should I really be driving the car
3. Timely repair

1. The agent called me back that day and said that they could offer an extended warranty at no charge (5 additional years and 75K additional miles). So since the car is 1 year old and 14K miles, I would have Premium warranty (whatever it is called - highest version) with $100 deductible for 6 years or 89K miles, which ever comes first. This is not how warranties are normally done so I have questioned if this is correct multiple times and waiting on a supervisor to call back. We will likely keep the car for at least 5 years and will put at least 100K miles so was hoping they would take the warranty out to 100K but she said that is the very best offer they can provide.

2. In reagards to driving the car in the meantime - The agent told me that it was up to the dealership. No disrespect to my dealership but I would think Ford should provide some guidance from Corporate engineers if the vehicles should be parked under these circumstances and make the decision over the local tech at the dealership. The TSB does not mention that I have found yet. The agent told me that she has no way to get guidance from Corporate on this issues and I find that hard to believe. I am worried about long term damage if I continue to drive the vehicle. Pending further discussion with the supervisor but I doubt it will get me much further. Also see next topic about maybe why I was sent home with car and I want some advice or clarification...

3. In regards to timely repair - I question if they sent me home because parts were on back order and it would mean the car would sit at the dealership for 30+ days....does this not have some play in the buy back process? The agent did tell me that they have all the parts except one that is on National backorder and I am not sure which one.

If anyone has feedback on how the warranty offer works, please chime in. If you have experience with this Bulletin, please chime in. If you have experience regarding driving the vehicle with main valve body issues, please chime in. Lastly if you have experience regarding potential 30 plus days if the car was sitting at the dealership and if that plays into why they may have sent me home, please chime in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the bulletin info. My tranny has been driving me nuts for a year and reprogramming has done little to correct the hard shifts. I just send your info to the dealer. We'll see.

We have a 2020 Limited Explorer. It is harsh shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. Not sure which and it generally seems to be when we leave the house initially for the day. Initially the TSB for transmission cooler replacement showed up on my wife's Ford Pass app so we took in to have replaced. Still experiencing issues. I dont know the exact mileage but it was at the last oil change so probably around 10K miles. Car currently has 14K miles on the odometer and is approx. 1 year old next month.

I took the car back into the dealership and I was informed there was a new bulletin dated November 19, 2020 - titled 10R60/10R80-Harsh Engagement/Harsh Shift/Delayed Shift with or without DTCs.

I was told the parts are on back order Nationwide but include Main Valve Body and approx 8 more parts if need replacement after inspection.

I was also told by the technician and the Service Desk staff that it was ok for me to drive the vehicle - more about this in a minute.

Somewhat frustrated I called Ford and initiated a customer service ticket with them. I explained I had 3 concerns:
1. Longevity of the car
3. Timely repair

1. The agent called me back that day and said that they could offer an extended warranty at no charge (5 additional years and 75K additional miles). So since the car is 1 year old and 14K miles, I would have Premium warranty (whatever it is called - highest version) with $100 deductible for 6 years or 89K miles, which ever comes first. This is not how warranties are normally done so I have questioned if this is correct multiple times and waiting on a supervisor to call back. We will likely keep the car for at least 5 years and will put at least 100K miles so was hoping they would take the warranty out to 100K but she said that is the very best offer they can provide.

2. In reagards to driving the car in the meantime - The agent told me that it was up to the dealership. No disrespect to my dealership but I would think Ford should provide some guidance from Corporate engineers if the vehicles should be parked under these circumstances and make the decision over the local tech at the dealership. The TSB does not mention that I have found yet. The agent told me that she has no way to get guidance from Corporate on this issues and I find that hard to believe. I am worried about long term damage if I continue to drive the vehicle. Pending further discussion with the supervisor but I doubt it will get me much further. Also see next topic about maybe why I was sent home with car and I want some advice or clarification...

3. In regards to timely repair - I question if they sent me home because parts were on back order and it would mean the car would sit at the dealership for 30+ days....does this not have some play in the buy back process? The agent did tell me that they have all the parts except one that is on National backorder and I am not sure which one.

If anyone has feedback on how the warranty offer works, please chime in. If you have experience with this Bulletin, please chime in. If you have experience regarding driving the vehicle with main valve body issues, please chime in. Lastly if you have experience regarding potential 30 plus days if the car was sitting at the dealership and if that plays into why they may have sent me home, please chime in.

How many times does it occur when your engine is cold (right after you leave the house)? Is it just the first shift from 1-2? and then goes away when you stop and try to replicate it? or does it happen multiple times until the vehicle reaches the operating temperature? And what is your build date?

How many times does it occur when your engine is cold (right after you leave the house)? Is it just the first shift from 1-2? and then goes away when you stop and try to replicate it? or does it happen multiple times until the vehicle reaches the operating temperature? And what is your build date?
How do I find the build date - honestly not 100 percent sure on how often. It always does it when we leave the house but I do notice harsh shift at other times as well.

How do I find the build date - honestly not 100 percent sure on how often. It always does it when we leave the house but I do notice harsh shift at other times as well.
If you have the Window Sticker, the date is on there. Also I believe the year and month may be on the door jamb, driver's side.
Any Ford ESP (extended warranty) begins on the date that your vehicle was put in service (bought by you).

Peter

Do you have an actual TSB or SSM number you can reference for this?

Mine is the same, but the software updates have improved it over time. In my opinion, there is no danger to drive it. I have 20k miles on mine like this. I need to contact Ford for a goodwill warranty extension.

Just drive it as is until they can address it. If you happen to havea failure, well it's covered under power train warranty anyways.

Mine is the same, but the software updates have improved it over time. In my opinion, there is no danger to drive it. I have 20k miles on mine like this. I need to contact Ford for a goodwill warranty extension.

Just drive it as is until they can address it. If you happen to havea failure, well it's covered under power train warranty anyways.
I referenced the bulletin in bold black letters of my original post.

I also am not convinced it is software driven when they are replacing the main valve body.

I referenced the bulletin in bold black letters of my original post.
Each bulletin has a specific number assigned to it. Searching online, I found TSB 20-2403 which is what you are referencing. I have attached a copy.

This is extremely similar language to bulletins Ford has put out for other models, like the F-150's and the Mustangs. Similar fix too.

Basically, re-program PCM is the first step. If not resolved, replace valve body assembly. Mine has had the PCM re-programmed multiple times in the past year and half. It is much better than when I first took ownrship. If it continues to be an issue, I will show my dealership this bulletin. At least yours is aware of it. Give them a chance to fix it.

Attachments

• MC-10183420-0001.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 433

Update: The Ford representative called me back. They are speaking with the service director at my local dealership to determine the next part or group of parts above what is needed in the bulletin since they are unable to get all of the parts in because of a national back order. She communicated they are discussing whether or not to replace the entire transmission as the next logical step to take. I am not sure how I feel about this I believe I would rather replace parts than an entire transmission at this point but I am no mechanic.

You would likely be better off with a complete new transmission. These are complicated internally, and built with precision at a dedicated transmission factory. When you have a mechanic at a dealership opening up the transmission and working on it, there is technically more things that could go wrong. That being said, if the dealership has a very experienced transmission tech that works inside these transmissions all the time, results could be good.

It is cheaper for Ford to replace a few internal parts than the whole transmission, which is why they try to repair as the first step.

Is it really the transmission or could it be fluid?

I spoke with someone who has had an F150 with the 10 speed and it was an early build so perhaps it was grouped in whatever batch we got for the explorers.

The reprogram didn't do anything he said. If anything, it made it worse while it was trying to "relearn" your driving habits. But eventually learned to the same exact function as pre-reprogram.

He switched fluids and he said shifts are MUCH smoother. It's not as good as some of the other autos he said but it's improved almost 100%. He didn't remember what fluid he used!!!!! That was the key factor.

Initiate a buy back now, there’s no easy fix for the transmission - a new one will yield the same results and next thing you know they will be telling you that the vehicle is working as expected

Initiate a buy back now, there’s no easy fix for the transmission - a new one will yield the same results and next thing you know they will be telling you that the vehicle is working as expected
Not sure that is even an option since this is 2nd time trying to fix?

Our 2020 has the delayed / harsh 1-2 shift when cold. It’s odd some days it will do it and others it will not. Good to know there is a TSB, but a shame parts are back ordered. My wife never notices it, but I’ll make a stink about it to the dealer at some point down the road I’m sure.

Keep us posted on the fix and how it works out with you.

I wouldn’t wait too long to report this issue. I’ve been complaining since I bought my XLT, May 2020. The harsh shift got progressively worse and now I have a major transmission issue. It happens regardless of vehicle temp. My car had been at the dealer almost a month waiting for transmission parts. The service tech initiated a buyback because of all the issues. You really should get this on the record for your car even if it doesn’t bother your wife.

Hello to all, I have read many posts on this forum over the years however prior to today I had nothing to include or post that would positively impact the members of this group, until now.
I had recently purchased a 2020 Explorer with 19k miles and have driven to about 22k miles and noticed the transmission hard shifts from 1-2 and 3-4 when stopping it hard shifts the reverse way. Those hard shift jolts you forward (not violently). I have noticed a few posts on this but not sure if there was ever a resolution, however I took my vehicle to the place of purchase to have it checked out. The tech determined that TSB 21-2046 which was released 03-30-2021 would resolve the issues, he completed it within the day and I am no longer experiencing the hard shifts as I did previously, shifts are now smooth as butter!
I will attach a MOD TSB bulletin for your reading which was performed.
Hopes this helps someone else experiencing the problem I was.
212046.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Longevity of the car
3. Timely repair

I’m sorry we had the same issue and I just traded my 2020 Explorer limited in for a 2021 Explorer . They rebuilt my whole transmission on my 2020 Explorer . Exact same issue . I dealt with Ford as well. My car had 20 k Miles and stayed in the shop the whole year . I also had Ford prem care fir 120,000 miles . They didn’t offer since I had it. Once they fixed mine I traded two weeks ago. The car Cost to much to stay in it. Trade it. That time period were lemons. You might be able to do a Ford buy back ask about it . If not trade ASAP .

Back