• Register Today It's free!

Change spark plugs

messir

Reaction score
City, State
Kiev
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all

Bought Eplorer 1993 and wanna change spark plugs and power wires.
Would anybody give advice which spark plugs is better?
And same for wires.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Years 91-94 use the same, and Motorcraft AWSF42P plugs are recommended. Are those available in Ukraine?

Years 91-94 use the same, and Motorcraft AWSF42P plugs are recommended. Are those available in Ukraine?
No, we not have the brand. But I have friend in Minnsota and he can buy and ship to me.

Are this spurk plugs is best or just reccomended?

And any about wires?

Sorry, I didn't notice you were from Ukraine. I like the Bosch plug wires. I have had them for a few years and they seem to work well. I will usually get Motorcraft or Autolite platinum or Iridium plugs. Rockauto.com has the plugs at the best prices, but they don't have plug wires from Bosch right now. Last time I got plugs, Rockauto had a close out on what I wanted and the entire set was less than $5.

Hey messir, on a side note, are you a fan of DakhaBrakha?

Sorry, I didn't notice you were from Ukraine. I like the Bosch plug wires. I have had them for a few years and they seem to work well. I will usually get Motorcraft or Autolite platinum or Iridium plugs. Rockauto.com has the plugs at the best prices, but they don't have plug wires from Bosch right now. Last time I got plugs, Rockauto had a close out on what I wanted and the entire set was less than $5.
So wires can buy from Rockauto or eBay?

Sorry guys, I was litle lost ...
I check rockauto anв fund many spark plugs in platinum and iridium version.
So what to choose?
What much better than NGK, Bosh, Autolite etc?

I changed out all mine on the 95 Sport to E3 spark plugs. Cross reference for your original plugs can be found here Cross Reference Guide When Switching to E3 Spark Plugs

See to work fine after years of driving. I'm sure there are some independent tests on the web that will show the benefits over stock.

A good quality set of 8mm spark plug wires may also be a good bet.

Wait, what is your mpg (kmpl) now compared to new? If fuel efficiency is the same as when new, what is gained by unnecessary maintenance? (Spend money, do work, but get no return.)

Wait, what is your mpg (kmpl) now compared to new? If fuel efficiency is the same as when new, what is gained by unnecessary maintenance? (Spend money, do work, but get no return.)
Better longevity. Even without a gain in anything he’s potentially prolonged the life of the vehicle by replacing wear items

Better longevity. Even without a gain in anything he’s potentially prolonged the life of the vehicle by replacing wear items
For some wear items...well, you qualified it with the keyword "potentially" so I have to agree. To clarify, though, plugs and wires would not typically fall into such a category unless warning signs were present but ignored. Incomplete, uneven and intermittent ("missing") combustion will always manifest in diminished mileage. Detect this and immediately put plugs+wires on the list of potential culprits. But the proof is in the performance. If same as when new, leave 'em be! (Spend that $ on something that makes a difference.)

I have good luck with Belden plug wires

New Bosch Spark Plug Wire Set for Aerostar Ranger Explorer Navajo | eBay

motorcraft spark plugs 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L | eBay

Are you having any specific issues, or does it just need a tune up? If its a tune up, don't forget the fuel filter.
Yeah it have many issues as last owner won't maintance the car.

So I step by step restore it.

1st I changed oil with filter.
2nd I clean radiator, with alot of water and finally add good coolant.

Now I wanna change spark plugs, coz not sure mileage.... and wires coz my is daamged and looks like to old....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back