Change spark plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Change spark plugs

For some wear items...well, you qualified it with the keyword "potentially" so I have to agree. To clarify, though, plugs and wires would not typically fall into such a category unless warning signs were present but ignored. Incomplete, uneven and intermittent ("missing") combustion will always manifest in diminished mileage. Detect this and immediately put plugs+wires on the list of potential culprits. But the proof is in the performance. If same as when new, leave 'em be! (Spend that $ on something that makes a difference.)
Typically the performance will degrade so slowly you won’t notice it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Typically the performance will degrade so slowly you won’t notice it.
Ah, my friend, but this is where anality comes in! Every so often, or whenever there's concern, one does a three-tank (fill-ups) mileage check under normal use. Engine performance status is revealed, whether good news or bad.

Then if test results are good -- mileage unchanged -- one must be careful to continue normal vigilance and maintenance, not get smug about how great a vehicle they have (ahem, guilty here).

Ah, my friend, but this is where anality comes in! Every so often, or whenever there's concern, one does a three-tank (fill-ups) mileage check under normal use. Engine performance status is revealed, whether good news or bad.

Then if test results are good -- mileage unchanged -- one must be careful to continue normal vigilance and maintenance, not get smug about how great a vehicle they have (ahem, guilty here).
The guy from Ukraine is asking for help finding parts for his Explorer. Can we please just stick to that and not throw in our opinions on the virtues of regular maintenance?

The guy from Ukraine is asking for help finding parts for his Explorer. Can we please just stick to that and not throw in our opinions on the virtues of regular maintenance?
It was a reply, sorry, now back to parts...

Hi all

Bought Eplorer 1993 and wanna change spark plugs and power wires.
Would anybody give advice which spark plugs is better?
And same for wires.

Thanks.
1993 Explorer at 94,000 miles put new plugs in. The stock plugs in cylinders 1 2 3 were Motorcraft AWSF 42PG. Cylinders 4 5 6 were Motorcraft AWFS 42P. Replaced with Autolite AP765. Next plug change out the grounds on 1 2 3 were eroded some. Passing on a post explaining why.

OEM Motorcraft Platinum Spark Plugs

1993 Explorer at 94,000 miles put new plugs in. The stock plugs in cylinders 1 2 3 were Motorcraft AWSF 42PG. Cylinders 4 5 6 were Motorcraft AWFS 42P. Replaced with Autolite AP765. Next plug change out the grounds on 1 2 3 were eroded some. Passing on a post explaining why.

OEM Motorcraft Platinum Spark Plugs

Thaks for info.

As my English not too good. Would you tell or I correct understand.
So I should use different plugs for different cilinder?

I believe they had a better plug on one side to resist the wasted spark using up those plugs twice as fast. You can use all 6 of the same plug.

And its important that each plugs have some additional words after digits?
Okay, let us just keep life simple. Use the same numbered double platinum on both sides and all issues are covered.

Okay, let us just keep life simple. Use the same numbered double platinum on both sides and all issues are covered.
Ok. So any Double platinum or only Motorcraft?

I like to stick with Motorcraft parts on Fords if they are available

Check Rockauto and not found double platinum Motorcraft.
Are it outstock or Motorcraft not have double platinum for 1st explorers?

Single platinum is fine.

Once again in case anyone missed this.

You can go to Taylor cable . com and get there Thunder core wires, good wires and low ohms, can help with some rough idle and mpg. I personally run e3s but if you can not get them shipped to you from e3.com just go with motor craft there the best out there. E3s are great imo but not needed in any way unless on a modified engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can go to Taylor cable . com and get there Thunder core wires, good wires and low ohms, can help with some rough idle and mpg. I personally run e3s but if you can not get them shipped to you from e3.com just go with motor craft there the best out there. E3s are great imo but not needed in any way unless on a modified engine.
Can you pls give direct link to the specified wires?

Back