What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

This brings up a good question- I’m about to start running this newly rebuilt engine and want to get the oil in the right spots on this thing. I don’t want my pushrods peening themselves out by 60k. I was going to use the same synthetic blend I use in my newer Fords, the 5W-20 type. Is there any argument against the use of this stuff? For years we fed the Explorer 10W-30 but oil technology has come a long way since the 90’s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motor craft oil as far as i can tell is true blue good oil as far as i can tell, i have used others and seen seeps ect after using for long periods. For my personal liking i use the 5w30, almost the same as 10w30 just a little thinner at the start to get it all over then you have the same 30 weight you would have had before. I use the blend as well. Do i use syn or do i use conven well Ford said here have both easy peasy haha. As i said i like there oil, and use it in more than just Fords as well. The 20w to me is a bit thin. Even though it is not a huge change. It also depends if it will be mainly used in hot climates or cold thats a factor too. I can say this after having the valve covers off one motor with strictly Motorcraft and another with stricly super tech(walmart oil) neither had any deposits or sludge both high mileage both v6 both Ford(and when i say strictly i mean since we owned them and after having those oils at least 80k) but they had been changed religiously. So To conclude, My choice go motor craft syn blend 5w30 and more importanly change your oil dirty oil is dirty oil no matter how good or bad... (sorry if this was long and confusing)

I got rid of the stock XLT sub and used the border pocket from my XL minus the pocket. So everything is stored in the fender well like the other side where the jack goes. Had to paint the border black since my XL interior was grey. The net that came with the pocket keeps everything inside the fender. No more random things rolling around and taking up room.

20201205_135320.jpg

20201206_142126.jpg

whatcha doing with the stock sub???

The sub is destroyed. Well at least the surround is. It crumbles if you even blow on it. I live in northern cali where the temp gets up to 110 on a regular basis, and foam speaker surrounds don't like that much.

I'll message you. I like how you did that though.

Had first snow in 2 years. Had no snow last year, so my 94 has been sitting. It made me pay for ignoring it haha

First had to get it started to get it into shop to check it over.

Needed fuel pump. When pump was out, found the ground wire in the pump had deteriorated off the solder where it attaches to the top of the pump.

I got a full pump and hanger. Now for the first time I also have working fuel gauge haha.

Next I had to evict the critters! That meant new blower motor and resistor. I'd needed the resistor for a few years. The motor worked kind of if I gave it the old persuasion.

Then the plow winch told me to go take a hike. So got a harbor freight atv winch and good as new. My plow is a "home owners" plow and not hydraulic. The side to side is manual and the up down is just a winch.

I got about 60% of the driveway done, went off path, got stuck. Blew out one of the 14 year old tires.

Time for some nice mud tires!

Also during my time trying to get unstuck I lost 4x4 And wipers. Going to check fuses and see if it is my module.

For now I got a spare on it, got unstuck in rwd, finished plowing.

I think I have also developed an exhaust leak haha

Poor green 2000 about a week ago got nailed by a person causing a lot of front end damage guy said about 3500 dollars worth of damage and climbing she's t'd

Oh ****, I'm sorry! You ok?
Yeah luckily she was at fault trying to hear back from the insurance company and get her repaired

That's what I am always nervous about. Every vehicle I drive is 20+ years old and I have a ton of money in maintenance and parts to keep them as safe reliable daily drivers. But insurance sees them as totaled if there is more than ten bucks damage.
I went through the process with one of my trucks to have them up the value but they were such a pain in the butt about it. That was liberty mutual. I switched to geico (I switch every 3 years or so to save money) and I don't know if I have to do all that again!

Hope they cash you out good at least!

Well, we had to make a decision last week so I guess that counts as "What have I done to my Explorer" recently.
Due to changes in driving and vehicle needs/requirements, we have decided that it's time to let the Explorer go. It will be put up for sale soon and I'm really hoping it goes to someone that will take care of it and keep it running for a long, long time.

It's not perfect, and it's not the prettiest Ex out there, but it runs very well and has been there when we needed it. Currently showing 11,500 miles on the odometer, but that means true mileage is 111,500 miles. The odometer has only rolled once. Not very many miles put on in the last 7 years (just over 35k). IN THIS THREAD I have listed everything I have done during those years. I also have paperwork covering the maintenance items my FIL did on it between 2008 & 2013 (he put even less miles on during that time than I have - about 16k).

This is a California Explorer that has lived in San Diego, CA; Edinburg, TX; and San Antonio, TX - in that order. The interior is in really good shape considering it's going to be 28 yrs old. Not tears, rips, fading, stains, etc. on the seats or carpet. The dash has two places with small cracks: 1) on the storage shelf above the glove box, 2) upper left corner right behind the windshield (some state inspection goon did that removing the windshield inspection sticker years ago). The headliner just started coming loose at the sun visors a couple months ago. There are no tears, burn marks, stains, etc. otherwise in the headliner.

The paint is the worse part of the Explorer. The clear coat faded away years ago on the hood and the roof, so the metallic that is still there is damaged... but it's still there. There is an area on the rear lift gate that some clear coat has peeled off. The black surrounding the windows is turning gray, and the paint peeled off long ago on the wiper arms.

The windshield has a few small chips and one crack in the upper right corner on the passenger side. About 3 years ago I had a leak along the upper portion of the windshield glass and the only thing I was able to do to stop it (short of replacing the glass) was to seal up the top of the glass with "3M Window Weld". It hasn't leaked since, but it will be a little involved if the glass is ever replaced.

There is some evidence of hail damage on some of the side window trims. I never did find any damage on the metal of the body.

Anyway, there's a quick run-down of the Ex's life while in our care. If anyone is interested in buying, message me and let me know what questions you have. I was thinking of listing it for sale locally with an asking price of about $3k and start from there. Forum members will get a better deal for sure. Thanks for reading...

Ken

Well, we had to make a decision last week so I guess that counts as "What have I done to my Explorer" recently.
Due to changes in driving and vehicle needs/requirements, we have decided that it's time to let the Explorer go. It will be put up for sale soon and I'm really hoping it goes to someone that will take care of it and keep it running for a long, long time.

It's not perfect, and it's not the prettiest Ex out there, but it runs very well and has been there when we needed it. Currently showing 11,500 miles on the odometer, but that means true mileage is 111,500 miles. The odometer has only rolled once. Not very many miles put on in the last 7 years (just over 35k). IN THIS THREAD I have listed everything I have done during those years. I also have paperwork covering the maintenance items my FIL did on it between 2008 & 2013 (he put even less miles on during that time than I have - about 16k).

This is a California Explorer that has lived in San Diego, CA; Edinburg, TX; and San Antonio, TX - in that order. The interior is in really good shape considering it's going to be 28 yrs old. Not tears, rips, fading, stains, etc. on the seats or carpet. The dash has two places with small cracks: 1) on the storage shelf above the glove box, 2) upper left corner right behind the windshield (some state inspection goon did that removing the windshield inspection sticker years ago). The headliner just started coming loose at the sun visors a couple months ago. There are no tears, burn marks, stains, etc. otherwise in the headliner.

The paint is the worse part of the Explorer. The clear coat faded away years ago on the hood and the roof, so the metallic that is still there is damaged... but it's still there. There is an area on the rear lift gate that some clear coat has peeled off. The black surrounding the windows is turning gray, and the paint peeled off long ago on the wiper arms.

The windshield has a few small chips and one crack in the upper right corner on the passenger side. About 3 years ago I had a leak along the upper portion of the windshield glass and the only thing I was able to do to stop it (short of replacing the glass) was to seal up the top of the glass with "3M Window Weld". It hasn't leaked since, but it will be a little involved if the glass is ever replaced.

There is some evidence of hail damage on some of the side window trims. I never did find any damage on the metal of the body.

Anyway, there's a quick run-down of the Ex's life while in our care. If anyone is interested in buying, message me and let me know what questions you have. I was thinking of listing it for sale locally with an asking price of about $3k and start from there. Forum members will get a better deal for sure. Thanks for reading...

Ken
Good luck with your sale.
Hope your next purchase remains an Ex, and you stick around

OH! I was about to have some question but i guess its the older odo meters that doesnt count as high right?

Also hope you do stay around, me and the Fam take trips to san antonio every so often, Might have to have a Xploder meet up one of these days, So far you are the closest to me that i have seen here.

InShot_20210207_173320338.jpg

So much snow lately! Ordered new tires. Transmission definitely pissed off haha. Local yard has a low mileage one so that will be on the list soon.

My parents bought a house 10 miles away with a long driveway. It is gravel. Has anyone plowed gravel? Any pointers?

Just got myself one of these bad boys so I’m always searching for things to add or do to it within the realm of leasing. So far Ive:
-replaced rear turn signals with amber leds with anti hyper flash canbus
-replaced reverse lights with bright white led bulbs
-added oem front and rear mud guards
-added the explorer lettering to lip of hood
-added gloss black vinyl lettering spelling out explorer on tailgate chrome
-black license plate frame
-got a (crappy in hindsight) blacked out Ford oval trailer hitch cover
-purchased (but waiting til spring to attach) gloss black wheels covers

aside from that I would love to remove the roof racks, and add the flat trim but I really don’t want to mess with my headliner inside the cabin, and I’ve been looking at getting an engine cover which my xlt didn’t come with probably for cost cutting purposes, and I’ve been reading about a rear splash cover you can get for the rear underside-kinda on the fence about it though. I fell pretty badass upgrading from a fusion, so I’m still riding that high :)

OH! I was about to have some question but i guess its the older odo meters that doesnt count as high right?

Also hope you do stay around, me and the Fam take trips to san antonio every so often, Might have to have a Xploder meet up one of these days, So far you are the closest to me that i have seen here.
Yes, the Gen 1 Explorers only have the 5-digit odometers. '95 was the change over year. But I have the shipping paperwork from when the Explorer was delivered from CA to TX showing 60k+ miles on it. It's been a 1-family Ex all it's life. My wife's uncle bought it for when he traveled to TX so he could drive on the beach at South Padre to go surf fishing. Other than that, it wasn't driven much.

Polk County, TX isn't too far away (4+ hrs) from San Antonio. I believe there are a couple forum members in Austin and in Houston also. Not sure if we will have another Explorer or not, time will tell. I like the Gen 1's, always have. I'd rather keep it, but the Ex doesn't tow the boat as good as the Jeep does (Hemi). :dunno:

Yes about 4 hours, And i have the 91 Ranger it just slipped my mind for a bit.

I found a tear in my core support today. Now I need to patch it up. Low mileage Explorer too. Only 140,000. ;)

PXL_20210209_193103964.MP~2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back