Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front

You mean people would do that just to ruin the waffle from the catalytic? Explorer’s catalytic are near the engine bay and it would not be easy to ruin it.
I’ll check the local muffler shop for the labor cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean people would do that just to ruin the waffle from the catalytic? Explorer’s catalytic are near the engine bay and it would not be easy to ruin it.
You’re not following, lol. Im sure that hasn’t happened to your car. I’m saying if “someone” physically damaged it, It’d have to be fixed.

You’re not following, lol. Im sure that hasn’t happened to your car. I’m saying if “someone” physically damaged it, It’d have to be fixed.
Ahhhhhh sorry so slow today.... lol.... Right.... hhhmmmmm....disappointed mode after waiting for 2 weeks with no positive results.

hi all. 2015 3.7 with 140,000 miles and 8,000 idle hours.
I get the burnt smell under moderate to hard acceleration, but only when windows are down. I read all 7 pages of this thread, but I don't see specific mention of window down problems. Again, windows up I notice no smell at all. I initially wondered about plugged cats, and then saw manifolds can crack or become porous. I appreciate any insights y'all can share. If manifolds needs to be replaced - cost? can rear be done with engine in vehicle?

hi all. 2015 3.7 with 140,000 miles and 8,000 idle hours.
I get the burnt smell under moderate to hard acceleration, but only when windows are down. I read all 7 pages of this thread, but I don't see specific mention of window down problems. Again, windows up I notice no smell at all. I initially wondered about plugged cats, and then saw manifolds can crack or become porous. I appreciate any insights y'all can share. If manifolds needs to be replaced - cost? can rear be done with engine in vehicle?

Did you say you saw crack on the manifold? With my explorer 2018 v6 when i shut the rear ac and accelerate hard, exhaust fume does not go inside. I am planning to remove the bumper to check the a/c vent or the gill’s behind the bumper.

Did you say you saw crack on the manifold? With my explorer 2018 v6 when i shut the rear ac and accelerate hard, exhaust fume does not go inside. I am planning to remove the bumper to check the a/c vent or the gill’s behind the bumper.
Did you say they do or don't go inside?

Did you say they do or don't go inside?
Yes when the rear a/c is off the exhaust fume does not go inside the cabin. The exhaust fume goes inside when the rear a/c is ON and accelerate hard.

Sorry for my added confusion - have not inspected manifolds. I "saw" that manifolds have potential to crack.
I have no rear a/c and the smell never comes through that system to my knowledge. It's only when I have the windows down on medium or greater throttle application. (never noticeable on light throttle normal driving - i can have windows down for 40 miles and all good - only when get to hills) Usually a/c system is off. I will try and seal up the fresh air inlet to the hvac system and see if that helps when windows are down. I suppose windows down could be creating vacuum in cabin and directing it in via the air inlet. I have NEVER had the smell under any throttle application scenario with the windows up - I think it's important to be clear about that. I always have suspected it is a pre catalytic converter type of smell, but dunno.

Hello.

Yes, It's true and confirmed at least on two Explorers has this issue including mine.

After My dealer did TSB in 2016, i didn't notice the smell then it's back again. i tried to seal everything in the back of my Ex and no improvement.

So i had this idea and I posted this before

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

and since then this idea never left my mind so what i did is i sealed the hood rubber with silicon filler underneath the rubber " all of it"

and BOOM. i was shocked i would say 92% of the smell has gone ! but i had to confirm it

so i posted this.

And Mr

Manuel Garcia

Was ready to confirm my theory, he never done any TSB with the dealer and he was facing this issue a lot and the smell was very vey bad. so he sealed the engine rubber and guess what ? Yes it worked for him too.

Almost the smell has gone. then we tried another thing, covering the fresh air intake with duct tape and it also worked even better than the silicon. but this is not a solution, we can't keep the duct tape covering the fresh air intake.

Now lets explain this issue, basically there are two issues.

1.Exhaust Leak from the engine side that will not appear unless there is a hard acceleration.
2. Fresh Air Intake leaks.

and what happen is while acceleration the engine bay gets filled by exhaust odors and the odors finds a way to leak inside cabin through Fresh Air intake.
So anyone want to confirm this go ahead and cover your fresh air intake with duct tape

then go for a ride and try

Careful: the duct tape is not a solution, only to confirm this leak, when you use the duct tape don't run the A\C on non circulation that might damage the A\C fan.

To solve this issue permanently, The whole Fresh Air intake plastic peace need to be take off then seal every whole in it from the engine side and seal the hood rubber with silicon . but for now the silicon is working fine.
I finally solved the issue of the exhaust smell odor inside the cabin on hard acceleration.
I have a 2018 explorer limited and noticed that the windshield moldings and rubber deteriorated.
Air started to whistle inside the cabin around 80mph.
A small rock hit my windshield few months ago and decided to replace the windshield and moldings.
After the windshield installer sealed the windshield and moldings with lots of sealant, the exhaust smell issue disappeared even with hard acceleration :)

2018 is not so old but the windshield moldings deteriorated and it was the main cause of the exhaust smell from the start. It took me 2.5 years to solve the issue and it by accident.

Hope this post will help other ford explorer owners with exhaust smell issues.

I wished Ford had a recall on their windshield moldings because they deteriorate prematurely and very expensive to replace. Windshield Rubber moldings 2-3 years life expectancy 👎.

I finally solved the issue of the exhaust smell odor inside the cabin on hard acceleration.
I have a 2018 explorer limited and noticed that the windshield moldings and rubber deteriorated.
A small rock hit my windshield few months ago and decided to replace the windshield and moldings.
After the windshield installer sealed the windshield and moldings with lots of sealant, the exhaust smell issue disappeared even with hard acceleration :)

2018 is not so old but the windshield moldings deteriorated and it was the main cause of the exhaust smell from the start. It took me 2.5 years to solve the issue and it by accident.

I wished Ford had a recall on their windshield moldings because they deteriorate prematurely and very expensive to replace. Windshield Rubber moldings 2-3 years life expectancy 👎.
How is exhaust from the rear coming to the windshield in front? How do you know was defective to start? Sorry just doesn't make sense to me.

No , had an accident with my Explorer that cost me about 6000$ also time for fixing it

Sorry it’s been a while but it’s not with my hand

Anyway I went to a exhaust work shop to check the manifolds and the guy there said there is no leaks , but that checking without dropping them.

But I’m still considering dropping them for checking.
So. Replace those manifolds yet?

While it may have stopped the exhaust smell coming into the cabin, it doesn't address the issue of why that was happening in the first place. There shouldn't be any exhaust in the engine compartment if all is well.

Peter

While it may have stopped the exhaust smell coming into the cabin, it doesn't address the issue of why that was happening in the first place. There shouldn't be any exhaust in the engine compartment if all is well.

Peter
Hard to prove this. Challenging this even if the supposed manifold has pin holes.

How is exhaust from the rear coming to the windshield in front? How do you know was defective to start? Sorry just doesn't make sense to me.
Sorry I took the explorer atleast 3x to the dealer and they could not find the solution. They updated the rear ac hvac, tested the fuel trim ut was ok and checked the rubber seals around the doors. Then i gave up and just changed my Im driving style like limiting my rpm to lower range to avoid exhaust fume from coming inside the cabin.
Then I heard wind coming inside the cabin when Im driving around 80mph. I checked the windshield moldings and saw cracked and some pieces came off already from sun exposure. Then few days after stone hit my windshield. I decided to replace the windshield and moldings around $500 🤦‍♂️. The installer applied good amount of sealant.

Then I just realized that the exhaust smell inside the cabin disappeared even with hard acceleration. It fixed the issue that gave me a headache for more than 2 years.

I guess the fume was coming from the engine bay.

One thing that doesn't quite make sense is that you sealed around the windshield, but doesn't the fresh air for the cabin come from the base of the windshield? Wouldn't those same fumes be pulled into the cabin?

Also, do you have any pictures of the molding that you replaced? I don't think the molding deteriorating is common. My 14 will be 7 years old in a couple weeks and I haven't noticed any trim/molding deteriorating.

Last, if you have exhaust coming in around the windshield, that means you have an exhaust leak somewhere around the engine. Probably should get that fixed.

One thing that doesn't quite make sense is that you sealed around the windshield, but doesn't the fresh air for the cabin come from the base of the windshield? Wouldn't those same fumes be pulled into the cabin?

Also, do you have any pictures of the molding that you replaced? I don't think the molding deteriorating is common. My 14 will be 7 years old in a couple weeks and I haven't noticed any trim/molding deteriorating.

Last, if you have exhaust coming in around the windshield, that means you have an exhaust leak somewhere around the engine. Probably should get that fixed.
Sorry I dont have the pictures on the side moldings and cowl grille. But they were dry and some rubber pieces flew away. Its so brittle u can break it like saltin crackers.
My windshield glass and moldings where replaced and then the exhaust smell totally disappeared.
I was not replacing the windshield to remove or solve the exhaust smell issue.
I accidentally solved my problem with exhaust fume inside the cabin. I guess with hard acceleration some fumes comes out from the engine bay.
It might not be the case with other explorers. Hope it helps other explorer owners with the same issues.
I was dealing with the issue for more than 2 years.
Do you have exhaust fume in the cabin issue like me?

Sorry I took the explorer atleast 3x to the dealer and they could not find the solution. They updated the rear ac hvac, tested the fuel trim ut was ok and checked the rubber seals around the doors. Then i gave up and just changed my Im driving style like limiting my rpm to lower range to avoid exhaust fume from coming inside the cabin.
Then I heard wind coming inside the cabin when Im driving around 80mph. I checked the windshield moldings and saw cracked and some pieces came off already from sun exposure. Then few days after stone hit my windshield. I decided to replace the windshield and moldings around $500 🤦‍♂️. The installer applied good amount of sealant.

Then I just realized that the exhaust smell inside the cabin disappeared even with hard acceleration. It fixed the issue that gave me a headache for more than 2 years.

I guess the fume was coming from the engine bay.
Sorry I dont have the pictures on the side moldings and cowl grille. But they were dry and some rubber pieces flew away. Its so brittle u can break it like saltin crackers.
My windshield glass and moldings where replaced and then the exhaust smell totally disappeared.
I was not replacing the windshield to remove or solve the exhaust smell issue.
I accidentally solved my problem with exhaust fume inside the cabin. I guess with hard acceleration some fumes comes out from the engine bay.
It might not be the case with other explorers. Hope it helps other explorer owners with the same issues.
I was dealing with the issue for more than 2 years.
Do you have exhaust fume in the cabin issue like me?
So no issue when ac or heat is on? Pulling air from top cowl near engine, near windshield.

No more issues so far
Then how is it the windshield? Ac etc comes from that area. It doesn't make sense. This is an intermittent issue from what I've heard. Its premature to say that whatever was fixed on your trim solved it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a leak somewhere you can end up with some bizarre happenings. A poorly sealed windshield might pull gas into the cabin from elsewhere, not at all related to the windshield area.

Back