2020 LED Upgrades - Links Added | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 10 has been selected as best answered.

I swapped out the bulbs the day we took delivery of our ST. They were in for about a month and I started getting hyperf from the left signal. The company sent replacements, but they were a different set; looked to be an upgraded version.

Either way, the problem was moisture getting into the socket where the bulb plugs into the factory connector. This caused the leads to rust. When I put the new ones in this morning, I made sure to wrapped the connectors in electrical tape to prevent it from happening again. Just a word of caution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removed that white plastic piece (screw or whatever you call it) from behind the cover and pulled the taillight out sideways. It popped right out.
I tried that and mine wouldn’t pop out.

I tried that and mine wouldn’t pop out.
There’s a locator pin on the front wraparound part of the housing that fits into a grommet on the body side. It may resist popping out but it will with a little pulling and massaging around the edges of the housing. No matter how much you may be tempted, do not use any tools to pry.

Hey guys,

New to this forum so I appreciate any help I get.

I ordered a 21 explorer st and find it silly they went with incandescent bulbs for rear signal.

So I asked the dealer if they can set the computer in the truck to "allow rear led" and they advised they won't do it through forscan as it may void a part of the warranty. They said they may be able to make it work through their own software but they seemed pretty skeptical They are willing to replace the bulbs at the back with anything I provide them tho.

Reading the forum I can see that the rear signal bulb, although marked as a 3757NAK, PY27/7W in the owner manual, this can be changed with a 3157 bulb. I don't like the idea of the additional large resistor pack in the light housing and was looking for bulbs that have a small built in resistor.

Can anyone with a good bulb knowledge let me know if these should work. They are 3156's and not 3157's but I read that 56's are just single filament cursus 57s which are dual. Not sure if I need a dual filament for the signal function.

If someone can let me know how these look it would be greatly appreciated

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0828YQMXW/

Thanks in advance,

My personal feeling is that if you go LED, just get Forscan/OBDII adapter and go with LED without the load resistor. Load resistors can get really hot. Nothing wrong with just keeping the stock bulbs.

Hey guys,

I ordered a 21 explorer st and find it silly they went with incandescent bulbs for rear signal.

So I asked the dealer if they can set the computer in the truck to "allow rear led" and they advised they won't do it through forscan as it may void a part of the warranty. They said they may be able to make it work through their own software but they seemed pretty skeptical They are willing to replace the bulbs at the back with anything I provide them tho.

Reading the forum I can see that the rear signal bulb, although marked as a 3757NAK, PY27/7W in the owner manual, this can be changed with a 3157 bulb. I don't like the idea of the additional large resistor pack in the light housing and was looking for bulbs that have a small built in resistor.

Can anyone with a good bulb knowledge let me know if these should work. They are 3156's and not 3157's but I read that 56's are just single filament cursus 57s which are dual. Not sure if I need a dual filament for the signal function.

Thanks in advance,

FWIW, I took delivery of my 2020 Platinum on September 13, 2019 and replaced its rear incandescent lamps with LEDs two days later. I installed the turn-signal LEDs recommended in Post #10 of this thread and have been pleased with their performance for more than a year now. Here's a link to these LEDs at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5TJV5P/?tag=serious-20

BTW, it's easy to replace your Explorer's rear incandescent lamps -- about a twenty-minute, do-it-yourself project.

Welcome to the Forum Rockpile. :wave:
When they referred to their own software they were likely talking about using IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) which is somewhat similar to FORScan. Most dealers are not willing to change the factory software settings due to possible warranty implications.

Peter

FWIW, I took delivery of my 2020 Platinum on September 13, 2019 and replaced its rear incandescent lamps with LEDs two days later. I installed the turn-signal LEDs recommended in Post #10 of this thread and have been pleased with their performance for more than a year now. Here's a link to these LEDs at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5TJV5P/?tag=serious-20

BTW, it's easy to replace your Explorer's rear incandescent lamps -- about a twenty-minute, do-it-yourself project.

I have a set of the rear repeaters sitting on my work bench, I wasn't too sure that the rubber grommet/seal they provide would work. Any issues with moisture in the housing?

I have a set of the rear repeaters sitting on my work bench, I wasn't too sure that the rubber grommet/seal they provide would work. Any issues with moisture in the housing?

I've never noticed moisture inside the taillight housings. To be certain, I just examined each taillight carefully using a flashlight, and I didn't see any moisture whatsoever. Apparently, the seal on the aftermarket LEDs works well.

I replaced my turn and reverse bulbs with this matching pair:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W7HVS57
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V67DZLV

I'm waiting on the Philips bulbs to arrive to replace my license plate incandescent.

I did the Forscan fix for LED turn bulbs instead of using the resistors and it worked out perfectly. The bulbs are super bright and look great and no additional equipment needed to mashed into the housing to prevent hyperflash inside. Thanks!!

Edit: Received and installed the philips bulbs yesterday. That took all of 90 seconds or so. They look so much better than stock. Thanks again!

Tail lights are held in by 1 screw removed with a socket. That's all there is to it. Took me less then 60 seconds to remove the tail light.
Depends on beer and pizza consumed.............. Installation time increases exponentially ............... ;)

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance,
They also took a lot of things off of the 2021 that the 2020 have like the rack on top.

Itop.I had that take it to the Dealership and they will take pictures of it and replace it free of charge

EDIT: See Post #10 below for links to the bulbs I used and additional comments

According to the owners manual, the 2020 Explorer has all-LED lighting in the front, sides and interior. In fact, there are only 3 incandescents listed: license plate, rear turn signals and backup lamps.

I did LED upgrades on my two previous vehicles and I'm a big fan of LEDs. The challenge can be finding quality bulbs of. Also, Superbrightleds.com and Bulbamerica.com don't list any 2020 models in their bulb finder dropdown filters. So I turned to Amazon with owners manual in hand. I found likely candidates for all 3 locations. I was all but certain about the license plate lamps as the housings and bulbs are identical to my 2014 Fusion.

Here are the results (in all pics below, the LEDs are on the left[driver's side], stock incandescents on the right):
License plate lamps:
View attachment 172051
Turn signals:
View attachment 172053
Backup lamps:
View attachment 172054
The improvement in light from all three is much more dramatic when seen with the naked eye, I'm very pleased.
Hey, I’m new in the forum, today I changed my reverse bulbs but I tied too much the screw of the tail light assembly and I broke it, do you know what is the part number?

Hello, did anyone change the interior lights?

I can not find a secure way to open the overhead console and the side/rear lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, did anyone change the interior lights?

I can not find a secure way to open the overhead console and the side/rear lights.
Aren’t all the interior lights LEDs from the factory? What would you change?

Back