• Register Today It's free!

Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings

NAiLs00

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Over the winter, I've noticed that my 2015 Sport has been behaving strange on snowy surfaces - never noticed on dry or wet surfaces. I noticed that the rear end will not exactly follow the direction that I am asking it to go, which is just a wee bit aggraving in the snow. Basically you end up making constant micro adjustments to combat the swaying rear-end, hoping you don't mess up and overcorrect and put it in the ditch. I turn the wheel slightly left, and the rear travels right a little bit yet. Correct that by turning the wheel slightly right, but now it's going left.

I mentioned it to the dealership this morning (oil change), because I still did not have the sway bar recall checked out (no parts), but they checked it today and said that was not the case after looking at it. They informed me that both rear upper control arm bushings had a lot of play and needed to be replaced. They want $660 to do this and I do not have that kind of cash at the moment, so I'm either looking to do it myself or find a different mechanic that can do it for a more reasonable rate.

Bushings are something that I have never replaced, but am not 100% certain that these are replaceable on their own? Do I need to buy a whole new control arm with it pre-installed, or can I pretty easily swap these out?

I'm assuming I'll need an alignment with that, but I am not positive that the $660 quote includes that.

Thanks!

-Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Brian. Have you read these threads? Snow mode rear end "sway" and 2013 PIU rear end sway
Are you running all-seasons or winter tires. That could also make a difference.

Peter
Hey Peter!

Thanks! I'll take a look. I do tend to use snow mode in the winter, so that should be an interesting read.

I do have all-season tires, which this is my 2nd winter on these tires and the 1st time I'm experiencing this issue... they've only got about 10k miles on them and are always properly inflated.

Hey Peter!

Thanks! I'll take a look. I do tend to use snow mode in the winter, so that should be an interesting read.

I do have all-season tires, which this is my 2nd winter on these tires and the 1st time I'm experiencing this issue... they've only got about 10k miles on them and are always properly inflated.
I can't recall if upper or lower bushing just check youtube for Explorer or Taurus rear bushing. There is a bushing that can be replaced vs whole arm. Dorman part I believe.

I can't recall if upper or lower bushing just check youtube for Explorer or Taurus rear bushing. There is a bushing that can be replaced vs whole arm. Dorman part I believe.

Couldn't find anything in a quick search. I'll keep looking, but if you happen to run into what you're thinking of, please let me know!

Couldn't find anything in a quick search. I'll keep looking, but if you happen to run into what you're thinking of, please let me know!
I searched 2011 explorer rear suspension. Try something like that. Its there but you need to look.

There are several threads here on bushings. Would this one be of any help?

Peter

There are several threads here on bushings. Would this one be of any help?

Peter
Looks like that's a different part.

I'm still reading through that snow mode thread. I think that may answer my rear end sway, but I can't test until it snows again.

I should probably consider replacing the bushings in the rear upper control arms, though. Just not sure if I can get away with buying a bushing or if I need a whole new arm. $660 is a rough one to swallow for $20 in parts, if only bushings are needed.

Only planning on keeping this for one more winter, so don't want to dump too much into this vehicle, but I also want a safe and comfortable vehicle.

Hey Peter!

Well @peterk9 , I took a look through that thread and I'd say it describes exactly what I have been experiencing. I guess my first plan of attack is this rear upper control arm bushing on both sides. I know that'll cause some grief, though I don't know how much. Such a strange issue after nearly 6 years of ownership, and this being the first winter that it happened. I'm on my 3rd set of tires (@54k miles) and last winter was great with my current tires. I remember driving in 8-10 inches of fresh powder (I was literally the first to drive on it) at 3:30 AM and having zero issues.

I will venture on trying to find out if I can replace this solo or if I need a whole new control arm. Have not been able to find that, yet.

Well @peterk9 , I took a look through that thread and I'd say it describes exactly what I have been experiencing. I guess my first plan of attack is this rear upper control arm bushing on both sides. I know that'll cause some grief, though I don't know how much. Such a strange issue after nearly 6 years of ownership, and this being the first winter that it happened. I'm on my 3rd set of tires (@54k miles) and last winter was great with my current tires. I remember driving in 8-10 inches of fresh powder (I was literally the first to drive on it) at 3:30 AM and having zero issues.

I will venture on trying to find out if I can replace this solo or if I need a whole new control arm. Have not been able to find that, yet.
Did you look for the youtube videos that I mentioned?? Search rockauto for parts?

Did you look for the youtube videos that I mentioned?? Search rockauto for parts?
Yeah haven't run into anything relevant yet... YouTube kept giving me only a few matches with your search criteria and my modified ones. I'll look for Rock Auto's channel to see if I can find something right from them.

This isn't Rock Auto, but it isn't this one that you're thinking of, is it? I swear I watched this one, but I think it answers the question of whether or not you can replace the bushings and not the whole arm... and I'd say it's a YES from this video. I have to figure out if this dude is replacing what I need, as he kind of goes all over the place.

I couldn't find anything on Rock Auto's channel.

This isn't Rock Auto, but it isn't this one that you're thinking of, is it? I swear I watched this one, but I think it answers the question of whether or not you can replace the bushings and not the whole arm... and I'd say it's a YES from this video. I have to figure out if this dude is replacing what I need, as he kind of goes all over the place.

I couldn't find anything on Rock Auto's channel.

Rockauto.com is a website with parts listing.......

These are youtube videos to check by these below for 2011 explorer rear suspension

Misfit garage
Custom fx builds

2010 taurus rear suspension
South main auto repair llc

Rockauto.com is a website with parts listing.......

These are youtube videos to check by these below for 2011 explorer rear suspension

Misfit garage
Custom fx builds

2010 taurus rear suspension
South main auto repair llc
I know what Rock Auto is... I bought my brakes from there this summer and they've been around forever (and reside in my state). My bad... I thought you were telling me to look for a video on YouTube under Rock Auto's channel. Definitely a derp moment, because I tend to forget about their parts listing. I see some parts, just need to decipher what's what.

Control arms, if I had to replace just those, $140-180 + alignment is better than $660 + alignment.

Looks like these may be the bushings that I need. I'll confirm this weekend and see if these are indeed the ones with play. Cheap part.
or

Took a quick look at them and I honestly cannot find anything visually wrong with any of the three bushings; I could not feel any travel, either. I suspect my limited mobility under a jacked up vehicle vs one that's on a lift may have something to do with it. Perhaps there is some travel in the bushing that I cannot see/feel. I think what I'll do, is order the Rear Upper and Rear Upper Forward bushings. The Forwards are only $6-7 each, so if I don't use them, oh well.... or maybe I'll just replace both. The Rear Upper Rearward were pretty much impossible for me to see, but looking through my phone's camera, they looked fine. I guess FWIW, the dealer wrote "Rear Upper" bushings and not any other verbiage.

Took a quick look at them and I honestly cannot find anything visually wrong with any of the three bushings; I could not feel any travel, either. I suspect my limited mobility under a jacked up vehicle vs one that's on a lift may have something to do with it. Perhaps there is some travel in the bushing that I cannot see/feel. I think what I'll do, is order the Rear Upper and Rear Upper Forward bushings. The Forwards are only $6-7 each, so if I don't use them, oh well.... or maybe I'll just replace both. The Rear Upper Rearward were pretty much impossible for me to see, but looking through my phone's camera, they looked fine. I guess FWIW, the dealer wrote "Rear Upper" bushings and not any other verbiage.
Second opinion might be what the doctor ordered

Second opinion might be what the doctor ordered
There is a chance that I may (have never found a secondary mechanic - have always had warranties), but they did recommend this very same repair over the spring/summer. Not required, but recommended for wear, is what they said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back