3rd Gen SAS? new member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alonso755

Reaction score
City, State
TJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
hey guys greetings, I'm new to the forum, although i have seen several threads regarding possible 3rd gen SAS, I've never seen pictures or a thread of a member that has actually done it and posted it here. I'm on the hunt for parts as of right now, I'm between a D44 HP or a D60S axles although the weight of super duty axles worries me a little, don't know if my engine/trans can handle them. if any member has done this to a 3rd gen please reach out, any advice before starting would be much appreciated

this is my explorer at its current status
20210205_100206.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys greetings, I'm new to the forum, although i have seen several threads regarding possible 3rd gen SAS, I've never seen pictures or a thread of a member that has actually done it and posted it here. I'm on the hunt for parts as of right now, I'm between a D44 HP or a D60S axles although the weight of super duty axles worries me a little, don't know if my engine/trans can handle them. if any member has done this to a 3rd gen please reach out, any advice before starting would be much appreciated

this is my explorer at its current statusView attachment 327978
Working on doing this now. Let's work together.

Working on doing this now. Let's work together.
Any updates on this? Been thinking about doing an SAS for a while now and just found this thread.

OP hadnt been on for a year or so, but hope you find a reply!

Any updates on this? Been thinking about doing an SAS for a while now and just found this thread.
I am still planning to to front and rear sas on mine. I really wish I could find someone to work with on it. I will 100 percent post full details, specs, measurements, and custom templates when I'm finished. I originally was going to go with dana 60s and a 7.3L powerstroke with a 4r100, but I think I decided against that due to fuel expense after the recent hike in diesel price. Now I'm looking at smaller axles and keeping the 4.6, but still sas.

If I had a shop with a lift I would have done it already.

There is a guy that did an aviator on here front and rear. Looks like a fairly easy build. I would have done a few things differently but it's good info to start.

Unless you're planning running tires larger than a 37, a Dana 44 and 9" would be fine.

You need to decide what suspension you want, SOA, 3-link, 4-link. How much lift you want? Do you want to cut fenders? Do you want traction devices in the axles? How much are you willing to spend? Most important, do you have the ability to do a SAS? Not being a smart aleck, but some people suck at geometry. A lot rides on safety, you don't want to be bound up just driving down the road and cause stress cracks and loose an axle on the street.

Research, research, research.

Back