My New, New 347 | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My New, New 347

I'm abandoning my old thread (My new 347), as the motor has been an epic fail for many reasons.
Against any sane reason, I'm trying again.

Post #1 is a thread with all parts for my own records. I'll keep adding to this as I have the time and know what parts are being used.

New (Used) unmolested factory block from Vroomzoomboom. Thanks Tim!
Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshafts 430234705400 w ESP Armor coat option
Bullet Pistons BF6010-030 - 2618 Forged Flat top w TFS valve reliefs made for power adder applications
Rods -I beam Forged (From Old Motor)
King Pro Series Bearings
Michigan 77 SH1321 Cam Bearings
MEL10688 HV Oil Pump - Block and pump machined to fit under the stock oil pan
FEL-1133SD MLS head Gaskets
PAC-1207X LS Springs (Yes Tim, there is something Cheby going in to my Ford motor)
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers (old build)
HRC911968 Howards link bar lifters
Comp Cam 35-775-8 proposed, may change after head flow number change 35-775-8 - XFI™ Stroker Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, Computer controlled (E.F.I.) with O.E. hydraulic roller cams 1985-95
rollmaster timing set (Hopefully re-usable from old build)
TW170 heads (old build) that will be ported and the chambers softened for boost
push rods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7" (old build)
ARP Head Studs (old build)
Torque converter CircleD SKU:30-09-19 11" 2800 stall triple disk lockup FORD 11" HP Series 4R70 Torque Converter
Trick Flow Track Heat intake (old build)
Cometic C5652-060 intake manifold gasket
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kit 1 54-7904 (old build)
ARP Flexplate Bolt Kit 100-2901 (old build)
PCV Valve EV127A
header gasket remflex 3003

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)-re-balanced by machinist to 0
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth -re-balanced by machinist to 0

Injector Clinic 650H 62lb injectors
Return style fuel pump canister installed in fuel tank (1998 Explorer)
Another 6an braided line added as a fuel return line
Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11542 340lph
Aeromotive 13130 fuel regulator
Trick Flow TFS-5158000R fuel rails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the Muffler installed.

A couple of other gear heads hanging around the shop said its actually still pretty loud, so don't be fooled by the video. I think it sounds really good, and still super mean. The guys around the shop thought so also. They've never seen anything like my truck, lol.

Also, I don't seem to be leaking oil any more. I wonder if it was just residual oil from when I had the valve cover off earlier working its way off the block. I'll keep an eye on it, as I'm not taking the valve cover off just to take it off. I'm really hoping I scared the leak away by buying valve covers.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sounds awesome! Next video is on a secluded road leaving some J's on the pavement and scratching 2nd gear please. K, thanks.

I’ll video it.....cause I’ll be trying to catch him...

That sounds awesome! Walk around video please! Showcase the whole truck and al the cool stuff you did to it.

I'm getting closer and closer now.
The water/meth seems to have the right jet now and boost is coming on early as the truck pieces as a whole start to work together.
The truck was always soft leaving the line, but I'm finding I can add a bunch more timing back in the lower ranges and the launch is picking up quite a bit.

I don't think I could do a massive burn out yet, but maybe with foot braking to get in to boost before launch.
I think the 1/4 mile time would be respectable now, but I just don't want to beat on the old girl as I need it to carry me thru the winter.

It's definitely the fastest its ever been.

And.............I threw my cards on the table and walked away.

In this last cold snap, it seemed like something was going wrong every day. Day 2 in the cold....Pump for the oil return from the turbo quits. Oil in the intake and exhaust piping. Lovely. Tuned out to be a relay went bad. Why? High end waterproof relay, but whatever.

A couple days later, out I go after work....Battery is dead. WTF now? Boost it, get home. Get out of the truck and I can hear a pump running. Intercooler pump is on. What? How? Turns out to be the relay for the intercooler failed in closed position. I've never heard of that.

Next.....I start wondering whats all over the back of the truck and rear window. Oil. Look at the garage and where I park at work.....Crazy amounts of oil. Look under the truck....holy ****. The whole underside is soaked.

I called Tim, and asked him if he wanted it. I've had it. This thing is no daily driver. It's been too cold and **** is going to continue to break. It was time to fold.

Tim doesn't think the motor is trashed from the thrust bearing going, but I think it is. We will see.

In the mean time, I was out in -35 degree F weather looking for something to drive. Looking under vehicles, checking car fax's, etc. It was not a great experience. I ended up with a 2013 Ford Fusion with the ecoboost 2 liter motor. Good enough. Leather interior, sun roof, heated seats, motor has good power......Done. And, its another boosted vehicle. :)

I'll obviously still be around to help Tim with tuning Evil, and working with him (getting dirty) on whatever he decides to do with my old limited. I learned a lot from the old girl, including 'education costs money', and 'Never mod the **** out of your daily driver'.

I do still have the boosted mustang to keep tinkering with also. Tim is keeping an eye out for an aluminum 4.6 motor out of a 3rd gen explorer so I can keep playing around. I have to say, I'm really concerned about digging in to a motor of anything I own at this point. It just doesnt seem to end well for me.

Explorer  last pic.jpg

Very sad, but at least it's going to a good cause ;)

Yup, tough decision. All the blood sweat and tears that went in to it.

It would be awesome if someone wanted the whole turbo setup.
All lines could be pulled along with the return pump and piping. The exhaust could just be cut further up the line so it could be re-welded on to the new owners exhaust. Would be prety simple, all things considered.

AND FOR THE RECORD!

for the past month or two i was also trying to talk don OUT of selling it......to anyone including me! to the point of when driving him back to his house, i said "you'll never see it again, you'll never drive it again, you'll never sit in it again.......PERIOD!". hell, when i e transferred him the money for it, the password i set up was "rusure" (i kinda got a kick out of it lol).
so at the moment, the plan will be to pull the motor, and fix the rear main seal. thats what i think is wrong with it, don thinks the crank is gone, but we will see. i want to use the converter out of the trans because its a higher stall then i have right now, and also a better converter all around, as well as some smaller parts that will find its way on evil. the enter powertrain will be pulled as well and saved for something down the line (another ex v8 swap, ranger swap, pinto swap, corvette swap just to piss 'em off).
now the shell.....you really have to see this thing in person. IT IS CLEAN from any rust. better then evil even! i do have someone that is interested in it and is going to look into shipping cost, if not, i will do the unholy and put a v6 driveline in it, and put it up for sale. the reason for that is, finding v8 explorers up here is real hard, but v6's are everywhere, plus i have a few v6 parts trucks.
when the time comes to put don's truck under the knife, i may post some pics up here as well.
thank you again don for letting my buy your truck with full knowledge of knowing what i planned to do with it.

That hurts to see the truck have more issues, but I understand about time invested. You have to have reliable vehicles to get you to work etc. I hope Tim doesn't find much wrong with it, and the truck gets bought by someone who will love it.

I'm in compete understanding Don. Almost threw in the towel a few times myself. Sometimes you have to do, what's best for you, and pick your battles. Hope you stick around the forum as well.

Yea, sad day for sure. I don't like giving up, but it made absolutely no sense to keep going.
Once I can get the mustang on the road and start screwing with it I'll feel better about it.

I will say that the Fusion is sooooo quiet. Almost no road noise at all on the highway. Very nice to drive.
I'm thinking I'll end up using the SCT from my old explorer on the fusion and see if I can touch up the tune.
Adding the ecu strategy to my existing pro racer package is $100.00.

I'll definitely be keeping track of what you guys are up to.

Sorry to see the vehicle go, but I understand completely.
There is talk that Atco Dragway might be closing down. Its my closest drag strip being 26 miles away and the next closest is 55 miles, then 65.
I don't know what I will do if Atco closes, just hoping it doesnt for now. Maybe I will move, LOL.

i have it at my buddy's place for the time being. i hate going there right now because every time i pull into the driveway, i can see it and its kinda giving me "im scared and want to go home" look

154783609_769391837029577_867161382714072625_n.jpg

I'd love to have this explorer!

Atco might close? Do you think this is driven by the current administration green initiative? It always sounded like it was busy there.
It's a shame.

I'd really like to get the minimums sorted out on the mustang and go to the track with Tim for a day. It would be fun to hang out.
Not sure if I'll be ready this year though. My mustang generation in stock form isn't exactly track ready, and needs subframe connectors and torque box re-enforcements. After that, I'm good to go. Even if the suspension isn't ideal for the track, Iwouldn't be bending stuff up.

Josh P, the turbo setup always worked flawlessly, but for whatever reason I ALWAYS had oil leaks. Cursed, I tell ya, cursed........

I'd love to have this explorer!

make a offer on the shell.

Atco might close? Do you think this is driven by the current administration green initiative? It always sounded like it was busy there.
It's a shame.

I'd really like to get the minimums sorted out on the mustang and go to the track with Tim for a day. It would be fun to hang out.
Not sure if I'll be ready this year though. My mustang generation in stock form isn't exactly track ready, and needs subframe connectors and torque box re-enforcements. After that, I'm good to go. Even if the suspension isn't ideal for the track, Iwouldn't be bending stuff up.

Josh P, the turbo setup always worked flawlessly, but for whatever reason I ALWAYS had oil leaks. Cursed, I tell ya, cursed........

when you get sub frame connectors let me know. i can weld em in for ya

when you get sub frame connectors let me know. i can weld em in for ya
Thanks Tim. The tough part is that the car needs to be fairly level, sitting on its tires before they go in. Without a hoist that supports the car on its tires, it would be less than fun. Nothing like welding sparks while your on your back, under the car. 🔥

It's a shame.

Atco might close because an automotive insurance auto auction is trying to buy the land. The owner wants to sell because they offered something like 15 million. Its now in the hands of the township zoning or something. Have to wait and see what happens.

Back