USB Module/Apple play

Genova

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford Explorer AWD
Hi everyone,

I bought a used 2019 explorer AWD and didn't notice till a week after that the USB module isn't responsive. It doesn't charge nor recognize a USB stick (no flashing lights on the USB stick) when trying to update Sync 3. I got a 2 USB port replacement off Amazon from an old thread on this board. I pried it off pretty easy, and of course, there is ZERO slack in the cables. I can pull it out but can't get my fingers behind it to unplug the cables. I don't want to pull too hard and damage something.

I've been planing on upgrading the Sync 3 APIM. The one currently installed has no navigation, but that won't happen for a little bit. Any solutions? I'm trying not to remove the Led screen and the electronics just yet. I'd like to wait till I get the new Sync upgrade.

thank you
Semper Fi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you able to check to see if there is power to the USB module? If there's no power, the replacement likely won't work either. Do you have more than 2 USB port? If so do any of the USB ports work? Is the vehicle still under warranty?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you able to check to see if there is power to the USB module? If there's no power, the replacement likely won't work either. Do you have more than 2 USB port? If so do any of the USB ports work? Is the vehicle still under warranty?

Peter

There is power, the blue light around the USB port is on. It's a single USB port, I bought a dual port off Amazon.

The port read the USB stick once, but gave me an error about the drive's formatting. I've since downloaded CyanLabs and properly installed the software onto the USB but it won't read it again.

The vehicle has 36k and some change, so it's just out of factory warrenty. My luck.

Have tried using a different USB stick?

Have tried using a different USB stick?
Of course. Nothing.

If I plug my Android samsung phone into the port, it doesn't charge it either. That's how I lead to the conclusion it was a bad USB module. Not reading 2 usb sticks that work on my computer and not charging my phone.

Have you tried using the usb in the center console?

Maybe prying on it unplugged it? It is much easier to take the side pieces off, remove the screen, and climate piece and get to that USB port. Maybe 8 bolts?

Don’t know if switching from a single to a double usb will work out.

Try jmr061’s idea. I get CarPlay, etc to work from that port. It is connected to the front usb.

Switching from a one port to two port usb hub will make the center console one non operational since it won't be hooked up up anymore.

Switching from a one port to two port usb hub will make the center console one non operational since it won't be hooked up up anymore.

The USB i purchased is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J9SDQPM/?tag=serious-20

It has one micro USB port in the back and two in the front. Are you saying this will not work?
Currently installed is a one port usb module. Thought upgrading to two ports would be good if the passenger wants to charge something.

Maybe prying on it unplugged it? It is much easier to take the side pieces off, remove the screen, and climate piece and get to that USB port. Maybe 8 bolts?

Don’t know if switching from a single to a double usb will work out.

Try jmr061’s idea. I get CarPlay, etc to work from that port. It is connected to the front usb.

No, it was non-functional before I tried to remove it.

That's what I was thinking about doing, just removing the entire system. I ordered a Sync 3 APIM w/ Nav and 3.4 installed, should be here next week I hope. Just seeing if there was another way to work around it besides removing everything.

Have you tried using the usb in the center console?

Yes, that's how I updated the Sync 3 3.0 to 3.4. My issue is with the non-operational USB in the front.

That’s weird. I think the one in the armrest is powered by the front one in the Sync door.

The front USB has 2 USB inputs and passes one simply through to the armrest USB.
The one you bought has the second USB port in front and therefor the armrest USB port will not work anymore.

Hi everyone,

I bought a used 2019 explorer AWD and didn't notice till a week after that the USB module isn't responsive. It doesn't charge nor recognize a USB stick (no flashing lights on the USB stick) when trying to update Sync 3. I got a 2 USB port replacement off Amazon from an old thread on this board. I pried it off pretty easy, and of course, there is ZERO slack in the cables. I can pull it out but can't get my fingers behind it to unplug the cables. I don't want to pull too hard and damage something.

I've been planing on upgrading the Sync 3 APIM. The one currently installed has no navigation, but that won't happen for a little bit. Any solutions? I'm trying not to remove the Led screen and the electronics just yet. I'd like to wait till I get the new Sync upgrade.

thank you
Semper Fi
Did u check the fuse?

Power to a light does not necessarily mean a good connection to port pins. I'd wonder if stress has cracked the port solder joints, pull out the module, lay a bead of solder paste across the pins and reflow (solder) them. If you don't have solder paste, flux and solder on the iron tip will work, or if the solder pads are torn off the PCB then a jumper wire will be needed, or of course replace the whole module.

If the solder pads are torn off, for additional mechanical fortification it would be good to lay a bead of epoxy around he rear and sides of the port making sure not to cause interference where it sits into the panel.

Power to a light does not necessarily mean a good connection to port pins. I'd wonder if stress has cracked the port solder joints, pull out the module, lay a bead of solder paste across the pins and reflow (solder) them.
That's his problem. He can't get the module out the way he would like, without taking other things apart. I wonder if it could be bad connection points since it did work once.

Peter

^ He can either time travel back to the explorer design stage and convince engineers to design it differently, or stay in the present and go through an annoying disassembly process, like needed on so many other vehicle components. ;)

One option for getting behind a connector is long thin tools like bent jaw needle nose pliers or hemostats. Of course you have to have a mental image of what the connector looks like and where to place the tool, unless you can get a little inspection or dental mirror behind it and aim a flashlight to see it. Needing more hands than can fit in the available space can be a problem so some patience is needed... IF it is even possible at all w/o taking more apart.

I didn't notice it mentioned so I thought I would put this out there.

try cleaning the port and exposed contacts. a little bit of dirt and lint can cause a problem.

I can't tell you how many times my phone didn't charge because of pocket lint.

and don't forget that for a chorded device there are four places to clean.

Thank you everyone for the input. And thank you @peterk9 for keeping it going while I was away.

Seems like the only option is to remove the LCD/Sync system to get behind the USB module. Which I will do this week when the new APIM comes in.

@Michael Blackburn It took me a bunch of times to understand what the hell you were saying, but finally got it. The OEM part has 2 mini-usb ports in the back of the module, 1 powers and takes data from the device and there other plug connects the module in the arm rest, working in a series vs each USB on their own wire operating independently. Thank you. I'll return the one I have for: HU5Z-19A387-A

Back