PTU differences - turbo vs N.A. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PTU differences - turbo vs N.A.

Post number 12 has been selected as best answered.

Rob_I

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7 NA
LONG story short, I'm replacing my PTU due to a semi significant leak. The amazing ecoboost_xsport and I have been going back and forth with this.

I have a 2013 PIU 3.7L non-turbo - my PTU has a cooler and drain plug.

The major question is, what is the difference in PTU's for Explorers WITH a turbo, and WITHOUT?

Or more precisely, what is the actual difference between the 2 PTUs offered that have a cooler, drain plug, and vent. From my research, there are only 2. The others are lacking 1 or more of those options.

Leading to the obvious question, can you use a PTU for the turbo, in a non-turbo vehicle?

IF you can believe Ford and their guide, take a look at Lakeland and exactly how they list the vehicle fit.
What changes were made in 2016 to the PIU N/A? 2016 is when Ford says the new design PTU will fit.

Does this mean BOTH PTU's will fit a 2016 and you have your choice of part numbers?

DB5Z7251G - my original
DB5Z7251G - Ford Transfer Case Assembly. Wheel, Drive | Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL
Genuine Ford Part # DB5Z7251G (DB5Z-7251-D, DB5Z-7251-E, DB5Z-7251-G, DB5Z7251D, DB5Z7251E) - Transfer Case Assembly. Wheel, Drive. Fits Explorer, Police Interceptor Utility. Ships from Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL
parts.lakelandford.com

Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.7L V6 A/T Base Sport Utility2014, 2015, 2016
Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.7L V6 FLEX A/T Base Sport Utility2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

DG1Z7251F - "new" one
DG1Z7251F - Ford Transfer Case Assembly. Wheel, Drive | Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL
Genuine Ford Part # DG1Z7251F (DG1Z-7251-D, DG1Z-7251-E, DG1Z-7251-F, DG1Z7251D, DG1Z7251E) - Transfer Case Assembly. Wheel, Drive. Fits Edge, Explorer, MKX, Police Interceptor Sedan, Police Interceptor Utility, Taurus. Ships from Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL
parts.lakelandford.com

Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.5L EcoBoost V6 A/T Base Sport Utility2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.7L V6 A/T Base Sport Utility2016
Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.7L V6 FLEX A/T Base Sport Utility2016

Or just put in 2016 PIU 3.7L GAS. You DO get your choice.

Transfer Case for 2016 Ford Police Interceptor Utility | TascaParts.com

www.tascaparts.com
www.tascaparts.com

DB5Z7251G (my original) has kind of like heat sink fins on the back, and the DG1Z7251F (new one) does not. Eccoboost noticed this difference. They both bolt to a 6F55 transmission and sit in the same chassis. Can someone tell me a reason they WOULD NOT work?

The reason for this question and swap is to get the benefits from the 2019 update where Ford made the PTU a bit more robust and slightly less sucky. This wasn't just on a whim. You can thank ecoboost_xsport for this idea, and coincidently, the caution that it might not work. But we have every reason to believe it would.

In essence, I am being a guinea pig for anyone with an older Explorer with a PTU failure like me. But I wait to be an informed guinea pig.

Instead of putting in the same PTU with known problems, why not make an upgrade given I have the opportunity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is most different is probably whether or not coolant lines run to your PTU from the radiator or not. Buy your parts from a dealer that offers free returns, then you can have a gander and send it back for free. I highly recommend Autonation Ford White Bear Lake. My understanding is that even those PTU with the coolant pipes, its just sort of an add-on bolted to the side of the thing and it could be installed to a vehicle without the coolant lines and they just leave it disconnected. It would fit and the gearing and everything is the same behind the cover. Some people even suggest that the radiator coolant effect doesn't do much as the outer case is just "cooled" with ~195F water on one side. If you have a drain plug, change the fluid every 30k miles. Get whatever PTU fits and maintain the gear oil yourself. **** Ford and their "lifetime" fluid declaration!!

My original PTU already shows with a cooler so that can't be the only difference.

But I know, some cooling they got going. In some cases it might be more like a warmer.

Return. That's a dirty word haha

I'm not playing the lifetime fluid game. I'm changing mine at least yearly. It's $20 insurance.

Yeah, I don't know dude. It's just parts. Install them and drive. Don't waste time imagining what could be. Just be. Doubtful your PTU is waiting to die at the next turn, just saying. No use in pre-empting every possible failure and weak point. Its a Ford Taurus with a huge body. Nobody here gonna deny that. That being said, plenty like it. Does well for me on Michigan level off-roading (2-tracking). Anyway, good luck with your problem.

I'm not preemptively replacing anything, though I have been known to do that. I have a less than insignificant PTU leak which has grounded the vehicle in my opinion.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. From what I can deduce, there are two solid options to any PTU. I'm going to assume that these dictate the part number and DIRECT swap compatibility. Forget about Turbo vs NA for the moment since some PTU's show they are for both.

-Drain plug (yes or no)
-Cooler (yes or no)

Soft option:
-Vent with hose or vent on top or added tube after.

Or any combination thereof.

I've also seen PTUs with the vent with a barbed brass 90 or barb straight up. (Take a close look at some for sale and you'll see). I thought mine was modified with the 90, but possibly not.

Since I do have a cooler and drain right now, there is no feature change between the 'new' one and my 'old' one. I got lucky I guess. I verified via multiple sources that the one currently installed is indeed the original as-built. Possibly rebuild at some point, but its the same PN. Interesting that my 2013 has the 'advanced' features when some newer vehicles don't. Maybe some PIU's came standard with said options.

So as stated before, I AM NOT upgrading for no reason. Mine is broken. I need it replaced. I can either put in the same one that will probably fail in tens of thousands of miles, or one that may last provided correct maintenance is done from day 1. All indications are either should be bolt-in. I'm looking for solid evidence they won't be.

True. Although they all have a vent, they've always had a vent. The difference was, the older ones just had the vent right on the case whereas the new ones have that 10"-12" section of hose added to bring it up higher... The drain plug was added in ~2015 (I could be wrong on the exact year) to all versions. So, tbh, there are really only 2 current iterations...with cooler and without cooler...

Good point. Slight edit to post above for clarity.

However, my 2013 has a drain plug. As-built part.

Quick update: "New" design PTU installed and 1000 miles later still running.

My expensive guinea pig PIU has proven that it can and does work. So, if you find yourself needing a PTU, and the mood for an upgrade such as it is, get the DG1Z7251F. It works.

Quick update: "New" design PTU installed and 1000 miles later still running.

My expensive guinea pig PIU has proven that it can and does work. So, if you find yourself needing a PTU, and the mood for an upgrade such as it is, get the DG1Z7251F. It works.
Kind of figured it would. It was definitely a pricey experiment but glad it ended up working out.

From what I gather is the G version added cooling fins. Is that correct?

It appears so. I couldn't tell any other difference besides slight case changes. Fins included.

However, my 2013 has a drain plug. As-built part.
My does not have a drain plug on the PTU but it will shortly. I would like to know where the actual Ford location is on the newer PTUs. Anyone have a picture?

My does not have a drain plug on the PTU but it will shortly. I would like to know where the actual Ford location is on the newer PTUs. Anyone have a picture?
Or you can just buy these:

And do this:

Or you can just buy these:

And do this:

Thanks for the info. I already have two magnetic 1/8 NPT drain plugs from Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs – All magnets are not created equal . One for the PTU the other for the RDU. On the transmission I am looking for a way to hook-up a NTZ TransProtector filter from Why Russell Auto . The TransProtector filter is the best thing you could to to a transmission that has it's filter locked up on the inside where you can only get it out via splitting the case.

Thanks for the info. I already have two magnetic 1/8 NPT drain plugs from Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs – All magnets are not created equal . One for the PTU the other for the RDU. On the transmission I am looking for a way to hook-up a NTZ TransProtector filter from Why Russell Auto . The TransProtector filter is the best thing you could to to a transmission that has it's filter locked up on the inside where you can only get it out via splitting the case.
Yikes, I cringe when I hear NPT fittings, those things have so much potential to leak and each time you remove and tighten, you have to turn it just a bit more to seal, over time it becomes a failure point, especially as frequent as the PTU and RDU should truly be changed out at (despite what Ford would have you think). That's the main reason for the drain plugs with the AN fitting and custom sealing cap, no need for those concerns. As for the magnet... meh....yes, those AN fittings don't have magnets, but proper maintenance removes that, and the OEM magnet is still there, so there isn't a loss of magnets.

As for that trans filter thing..looks like a lot of snake oil to me. Regular fluid changes with high quality oils will serve you well for years to come. There's no need for that device they are trying to sell you. No one has any sort of external or additional filtration on these transmissions and there's been no failures due to issues of filtration (power is another issue entirely).

Anyway, as mentioned, I'd steer clear of NPT, that's all bad, especially since you will be drilling. They are the worst kind of fittings. Yes, they are everywhere, but there's so many better options out there these days. Find those fittings in an ORB at the very least if not going with the AN fittings.

And save your money from that "filter" and get you some high quality Amsoil ATF, it'll do more for your trans than that device.

As for RDU and PTU, stick with either the Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline Shockproof stuff, both are highly recommended.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yikes, I cringe when I hear NPT fittings, those things have so much potential to leak and each time you remove and tighten, you have to turn it just a bit more to seal, over time it becomes a failure point, especially as frequent as the PTU and RDU should truly be changed out at (despite what Ford would have you think). That's the main reason for the drain plugs with the AN fitting and custom sealing cap, no need for those concerns. As for the magnet... meh....yes, those AN fittings don't have magnets, but proper maintenance removes that, and the OEM magnet is still there, so there isn't a loss of magnets.

As for that trans filter thing..looks like a lot of snake oil to me. Regular fluid changes with high quality oils will serve you well for years to come. There's no need for that device they are trying to sell you. No one has any sort of external or additional filtration on these transmissions and there's been no failures due to issues of filtration (power is another issue entirely).

Anyway, as mentioned, I'd steer clear of NPT, that's all bad, especially since you will be drilling. They are the worst kind of fittings. Yes, they are everywhere, but there's so many better options out there these days. Find those fittings in an ORB at the very least if not going with the AN fittings.

And save your money from that "filter" and get you some high quality Amsoil ATF, it'll do more for your trans than that device.

As for RDU and PTU, stick with either the Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline Shockproof stuff, both are highly recommended.
I am an Amsoil dealer. I would use nothing else.
PERMATEX pipe sealant works everytime for the last 15 years on my Harley for a NPT plug that you are not supposed to take out.
The NPT also fits closer to the housing and is less likely to get snapped off.

Back