Best/cheapest option regarding spotlight | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best/cheapest option regarding spotlight

Chickensandwich

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Utility
So, my PIU comes with one spotlight, which is pretty standard. I’m looking for suggestions on whether I should remove the spotlight and plug the hole, or go for the bass-ass look and add a second light to the passenger side.

I can’t do bodywork on my own, so I called a few body shops. They will patch the hole for me, but when it comes to painting, they want to paint WAY more than needed where is just want a small area painted and blended (truck is black). Close to $800-$1000 which is find excessive.

option 2 would be to get a hole drilled and add a passenger side spotlight. It’s hard to find a place that will drill the hole since it’s close to the glass and they don’t want the responsibility. My estimate is about $500 for the hole, spotlight, and professional installation.

resale value will tank if I take the spotlight off, people who buy these, love the light. Two lights is rare and desirable.

I'm just looking for opinions on what you would do

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about a roof top motorized spot light (that was what on my FPIU). OK, I don't have a solution but it looks pretty odd to me for a FPIU with only one spot light. Most of them have two in my area.

Anyway, good luck on it.

Most around here have only one. Very police like, so I want to either removed completely or add a 2nd one, which in my opinion, looks kinda bad-ass. It’s the cheaper route to take...if I can find someone to drill the hole.

Any spot lights are gonna be police-y. I wouldn’t spend $1,000 on removing one.

Any spot lights are gonna be police-y. I wouldn’t spend $1,000 on removing one.
It’s no much removing it that costs anything. I can remove it, but I don’t want to drive around with a piece of tape over a hole and in the past, I’ve had a hard time finding anyone will to blend the paint to keep cost down. A Chevy dealership wanted to replace and entire drivers door side at a cost of $10000 because they felt the hole created a structural weakness in the body and for insurance reasons, they had to do it their way. It’s been a big headache in the past, and finding someone to drill a hole for right side is just as big of a headache.

It’s no much removing it that costs anything. I can remove it, but I don’t want to drive around with a piece of tape over a hole and in the past, I’ve had a hard time finding anyone will to blend the paint to keep cost down. A Chevy dealership wanted to replace and entire drivers door side at a cost of $10000 because they felt the hole created a structural weakness in the body and for insurance reasons, they had to do it their way. It’s been a big headache in the past, and finding someone to drill a hole for right side is just as big of a headache.
By removing I meant repainting. I surely wouldn’t tape over a hole, either. There’s a fair middle ground between a taped hole, and $1,000 repair.

By removing I meant repainting. I surely wouldn’t tape over a hole, either. There’s a fair middle ground between a taped hole, and $1,000 repair.
100% agree. That’s what I’m trying to explain to the local body shops. It didn’t work in the past and my fishing expeditions aren’t panning out this time either. I wouldn’t expect this to be more that $200-$300 but the interior trim piece

100% agree. That’s what I’m trying to explain to the local body shops. It didn’t work in the past and my fishing expeditions aren’t panning out this time either. I wouldn’t expect this to be more that $200-$300 but the interior trim piece
There are small shops that will do what you are asking. The newer the shop the more likely they are to do it.

Is it mounted on/through the 'A' pillar? If so, would a new moulding not cover up the hole?

Peter

Is it mounted on/through the 'A' pillar? If so, would a new moulding not cover up the hole?

Peter
On the inside, but the metal post still needs to be plugged and painted. That’s the expensive part where they want to paint way to much to “properly” blend.

Just my 2¢... note that I only have slight/no experience with PIU, and only pre-2000.

I would just find a decent body shop, have them properly fill hole, and spray only as much as they need to cover the area.

I would question: Are you going to going to break even, at least, if you do the big dollar blend repair job, or if you add the passenger light? Would a buyer even care if there is just a rubber plug to cover the hole? My experience with the pre-2000 units is that they sell at auction for dirt cheap. Those will not be worth more if you did properly do much of anything.

I'm a bit confused as well. What year? Doesnt it just run through the A pillar trim ? Remove the spotlight and exterior and interior trim. Buy new exterior piece on eBay, plug the hole, and get an interior piece from the junkyard. That's what I did. It was less than 100 bucks to do it all. There was no painting involved. The door isn't ucut like the older Crown Vics.

I'm a bit confused as well. What year? Doesnt it just run through the A pillar trim ? Remove the spotlight and exterior and interior trim. Buy new exterior piece on eBay, plug the hole, and get an interior piece from the junkyard. That's what I did. It was less than 100 bucks to do it all. There was no painting involved. The door isn't ucut like the older Crown Vics.

That's what I would do. Who cares how ugly the rubber plug on the actual a-pillar is since nobody will ever see it? New outside and inside trim pieces, and you're done.

That's what I would do. Who cares how ugly the rubber plug on the actual a-pillar is since nobody will ever see it? New outside and inside trim pieces, and you're done.
That is what I was thinking as well. It would nice to see an actual picture of this.

Peter

Here is the exterior trim for $30 on Ebay. For 2011-19 Ford Explorer Windshield-Outer Trim Molding Pillar Driver Left Side | eBay

If you try to take one off at the junkyard they just break. It's a one and done deal. Can't remove without breaking. I think I got the interior trim panel for 25 bucks at the u pull it junkyard.
It doesn't mention if that includes the plastic clips that are required to hold it on. Ford began including those clips just after all the issues with the 'A' pillar problems started in the earlier model years.

Peter

Just my 2¢... note that I only have slight/no experience with PIU, and only pre-2000.

I would just find a decent body shop, have them properly fill hole, and spray only as much as they need to cover the area.

I would question: Are you going to going to break even, at least, if you do the big dollar blend repair job, or if you add the passenger light? Would a buyer even care if there is just a rubber plug to cover the hole? My experience with the pre-2000 units is that they sell at auction for dirt cheap. Those will not be worth more if you did properly do much of anything.
Around here at least, if people want a PIU, they want at least one spotlight. I’ve taken them off before and it does affect the value. I took one off my Tahoe and the buyer was upset to find electrical tape over the hole. I couldn’t find anyone to fix the hole at a good price. As of now, it’s cheaper to get a second light and get a new hole drilled.
Here is the exterior trim for $30 on Ebay. For 2011-19 Ford Explorer Windshield-Outer Trim Molding Pillar Driver Left Side | eBay

If you try to take one off at the junkyard they just break. It's a one and done deal. Can't remove without breaking. I think I got the interior trim panel for 25 bucks at the u pull it junkyard.
I’m just going off what I saw with my Taurus. I haven’t see the PIU yet and assumed if you take the spotlight off, there is a hole there. I didn’t know anything covered that area. The PIU gets here in about 2 hours. I’ll look at it and see if it’s different. Sorry for the confusion.
I see what you’re all talking about now. The Taurus doesn’t have that, it’s right in to the A pillar. I asked this question I had the vehicle. It just arrived, and I see that it’s easier to cover up. Thanks for your replies.

With the new discovery of the outer trim molding, does anyone know if there is a hole predrilled for a passenger side spotlight that is simply covered by a plug trim piece? I’d pop it off, but I don’t want to risk breaking it

With the new discovery of the outer trim molding, does anyone know if there is a hole predrilled for a passenger side spotlight that is simply covered by a plug trim piece? I’d pop it off, but I don’t want to risk breaking it

I don't believe there is, at least I don't remember one being there on either side. On my 2017 I replaced the driver's side trim molding twice and passenger side once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't mention if that includes the plastic clips that are required to hold it on. Ford began including those clips just after all the issues with the 'A' pillar problems started in the earlier model years.

Peter

The clips are included. They're also flimsier than the case in defense of decaf.

Back