Popping/rattling noise while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping/rattling noise while driving

nomad60

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
We recently bought a 2020 explorer limited and noticed that when we drive 45mph or higher, there's a popping/rattling noise coming from what sounds like underneath the vehicle, towards the center or back. Once we get on the highway and doing 70+, the sound could be hear more often. Almost sounds like popcorn popping and hitting the underside of the vehicle. I'm wondering is this is related to that TSB for the exhaust rattle noises? When you're driving around 45-50mph, you might hear the sound every few minutes but once we got up to 70+, it was much more often and very, very annoying.

Also, the other day my wife closed the driver's side door and the plastic a-frame on the driver's side window just fell off. I was able to push it back to its position but I didn't feel anything click or snap in place so I'm thinking at some point it'll fall off again. I'll be taking it to the dealer to get looked at but this is not what I expect from a $50K vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you hear the noise as well when going over bumps etc? If so, it could be something that is loose under the vehicle such as a protective shield like one member found out.
I believe that piece that came off could be the 'A' pillar moulding. On the 5th gen Explorer it was held on with plastic clips and there are several posts where it has come loose or it flew off on the highway. Is this the piece you're referring to? Explorer 'A' pillar replacement
Unfortunately, as many have found out, the price of a vehicle has nothing to do with the issues one may encounter with it. :(

Peter

Nope, never while going over any bumps or around corners. It really doesn't start till we get over 40-45 mph and seems to be more pronounced while accelerating.

This is the piece that fell off when my wife closed the door
secc1.jpg

Hi Nomad60 , do any of the symptoms in the following thread match yours?

Hi Nomad60 , do any of the symptoms in the following thread match yours?

Our sound is coming from the middle/rear of the vehicle, floor area. I did find this so I'll mention it to the dealer as a possibility

I had a similar noise and found it came from the metal mesh crap they put over the flex links on the exhaust. One side mesh vibrated so hard, it destroyed itself. The other side they recommened it to be clamped with a stainless hose clamp, so I saved myself a trip to the dealer and did it myself. After a few days the sound was back and the 2nd cage was falling apart. Not sure what it was for....looks like it does nothing at all. Be careful touching the mesh though, it is quite sharp.... This weekend I will just cut it off and see if the noise disappears permanently.

Back