Yet another PTU thread...some history | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another PTU thread...some history

ecoboost_xsport

Mad Scientist
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Lot's of talk recently about the PTU.

It is definitely a frequently referenced component and has been known to be the cause of many failures. Wanted to provide some insight to the history of the PTU and some info on the various iterations of the years.

Essentially there are really only 2 PTUs we should be talking about when taking about 2010-2019 model years.

- The one with the cooler (found on towing package Explorers, Performance Pack SHO, Explorer Sports, PIU/PIS, etc). The latest Ford PN is DG1Z-7251-F.
- The one without the cooler (found on all others not mentioned above). The latest Ford PN is DT4Z-7251-G.

The latest iteration of the PTU (whether you have the cooler or not) IS backwards compatible if you have an older model vehicle. (i.e., you have a 2013 PP SHO, a PTU from a 2019 PP SHO will fit).

NOTE: There is a 3rd PN (AT4Z-7251-G) listed for the older models (pre-2013). It is a non-cooler PTU. However, when cross referencing fitment between all the models this PN fits, you will find that the newer non-cooler PTU fits many of the same years. From the research I've done and seen on this older model PN, it simply has a slightly different designed case with some raised heat sink fins, but bolt up locations are identical to newer ones. My intuition says the newer one will fit as well, but always make this decision on your own, as there may be something I haven't foreseen. Take this theory with a grain of salt.

If you are feeling very adventurous, it IS possible to convert to a PTU with a cooler, if you're vehicle does not have it from the factory. It will simply need some additional coolant lines that "T" into the existing coolant system. Maybe someone can provide Ford PNs needed for this if they've done it.

As for the history of the iterations, the latest version was introduced in late-2016. Below is the evolution of the PTU during recent years:

- January 2014, a Full Face Thrust Washer, FFTW, was introduced. This new washer was designed to prevent the idler bearing from walking into the aluminum case.
- October 2015, a second change was made, in this case a loose-fit idler bearing. In dyno tests, this bearing design change showed a twice life improvement over the FFTW design.
- June 2016, a third change was made. In this case, a new bearing design, one without drawn cups, was installed. This eliminated the walk mode of damage. Dyno testing shows a three to four times improvement over the FFTW design.

Basing/modeling any design of aftermarket PTU components should really be done using the latest iteration as a start point.

This information was gathered from:
Police Fleet Manager July/August 2016 Page 34

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lot's of talk recently about the PTU.

It is definitely a frequently referenced component and has been known to be the cause of many failures. Wanted to provide some insight to the history of the PTU and some info on the various iterations of the years.

Essentially there are really only 2 PTUs we should be talking about when taking about 2010-2019 model years.

- The one with the cooler (found on towing package Explorers, Performance Pack SHO, Explorer Sports, PIU/PIS, etc). The latest Ford PN is DG1Z-7251-F.
- The one without the cooler (found on all others not mentioned above). The latest Ford PN is DT4Z-7251-G.

The latest iteration of the PTU (whether you have the cooler or not) IS backwards compatible if you have an older model vehicle. (i.e., you have a 2013 PP SHO, a PTU from a 2019 PP SHO will fit).

NOTE: There is a 3rd PN (AT4Z-7251-G) listed for the older models (pre-2013). It is a non-cooler PTU. However, when cross referencing fitment between all the models this PN fits, you will find that the newer non-cooler PTU fits many of the same years. From the research I've done and seen on this older model PN, it simply has a slightly different designed case with some raised heat sink fins, but bolt up locations are identical to newer ones. My intuition says the newer one will fit as well, but always make this decision on your own, as there may be something I haven't foreseen. Take this theory with a grain of salt.

If you are feeling very adventurous, it IS possible to convert to a PTU with a cooler, if you're vehicle does not have it from the factory. It will simply need some additional coolant lines that "T" into the existing coolant system. Maybe someone can provide Ford PNs needed for this if they've done it.

As for the history of the iterations, the latest version was introduced in late-2016. Below is the evolution of the PTU during recent years:

- January 2014, a Full Face Thrust Washer, FFTW, was introduced. This new washer was designed to prevent the idler bearing from walking into the aluminum case.
- October 2015, a second change was made, in this case a loose-fit idler bearing. In dyno tests, this bearing design change showed a twice life improvement over the FFTW design.
- June 2016, a third change was made. In this case, a new bearing design, one without drawn cups, was installed. This eliminated the walk mode of damage. Dyno testing shows a three to four times improvement over the FFTW design.

Basing/modeling any design of aftermarket PTU components should really be done using the latest iteration as a start point.

This information was gathered from:
Police Fleet Manager July/August 2016 Page 34
VERY HAPPY that I ran across this post!!!
Thank You for posting

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have a 5th gen Explorer?

Peter
NO....
'91 & '97 Explorers so that is the 1st & 2nd Gen's....
I am all about the "traditional" 4.0L powerplant & drivetrain....

NEW "Money Pit" is a 2008 Ford Edge which is similar to the Explorer and same drivetrain for the corresponding years....
Learning about this "PTU" thingy with the 3.5L / 3.7L "transverse" powerplant....
Quick as all hell but I am really UNIMPRESSED, then the move to the Eco-Boost motor seems to be a total POS!!!!
Ford moves to "dim-bulb" then on to "burnt-bulb"......WTF Ford???;););)

So I absorb my information wherever I can get it, knowing that things cross & are the same in different model types....
Doing whatever I can to mitigate the "unintended" consequences of this new Radical Design of "Super-Smart" Engineers on this 118kmi Edge!
Internal water pump & maintenance-free gearboxes hug'n the exhaust system......good lord......

I generally "slum" over in the older Explorer Forums...:)
Thanks very much for the Welcome peterk9!!!

Arnold
aka Yeti76620

Sorry to bring this thread back but I’m trying to replace my 2013 ptu and was wondering if I could put a 2018 ptu on it they seem to be the same shape and everthing was wondering if anyone has some This

Sorry to bring this thread back but I’m trying to replace my 2013 ptu and was wondering if I could put a 2018 ptu on it they seem to be the same shape and everthing was wondering if anyone has some This

I can find the part I need I’m wanting the newer one that Ford has made the updates on I am just trying to figure out why it stops with the 2015 then changes from 16-19 why won’t the new one fit it seems identical with the added (fixes) from ford being the only difference and a drain plug

I can find the part I need I’m wanting the newer one that Ford has made the updates on I am just trying to figure out why it stops with the 2015 then changes from 16-19 why won’t the new one fit it seems identical with the added (fixes) from ford being the only difference and a drain plug
I get you...... always mysteries when it comes to "Smarter" Engineering folks... The eBay part is by Doorman and addresses all the "issues" of the PTU with a drain plug, heatshield, and upgraded oil seals.... I believe your observation is about that Eco Boost motor that replaced the 3.5/3.7 motor.... keep researching my friend and ..... good luck!

As per my post #6, the Vehicle Fitment guide shows it will work. The 2016 Explorer was a 'refresh' and that likely explains the division of the model years. There were several changes to wiring and software if I recall correctly along with some minor body changes.

Peter

I have heard bad things about the Dorman ones I really want a ford OEM part not sure how much bette they are from all the complaints but I ordered one I will update once installed I order one for the 16/19 for my 13 we shall see

"I have heard bad things about the Dorman ones I really want a ford OEM part not sure how much bette they are from all the complaints but I ordered one I will update once installed I order one for the 16/19 for my 13 we shall see"....... Slpbishop

GOOD LUCK !!!!
Post up what happens and how it worked out please!!

Back