Adding OEM fog lights to 2020 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding OEM fog lights to 2020 Explorer

This is the part you mentioned. 2020 Ford Wire Harness L1MZ-15K867-BB | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake.
Here is the Fordparts description; https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/e...s/wire-parking-distance-aid-sensor-11841025-1
Autonation shows L1MZ-15K867-BE as the harness as Without auto park, with fog lamps. 2020 Ford Wire Harness L1MZ-15K867-BE | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
As you discovered, there is no listing in the Manual for either a fuse or relay for Fog Lamps.

Peter
Call FORD PARTS 844 589 0060 Ask them to read the part descriptions I did ....the part was delivered last Saturday I installed after verifying the plugs and pins lined up.
shop-parts

Attachments

• C748EA93-3DDC-44BA-9DD5-574E8AAA058F.jpeg
    C748EA93-3DDC-44BA-9DD5-574E8AAA058F.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 157

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears that same harness is also used in the 5th gen Explorer.

Peter

I added fog lights to my 2020 XLT and used Forscan to enable the dash icon and the BdyCM The problem is I cannot get them to work...looking for any info regarding a fuse or relay location....Village Ford has the best prices so far.....The harness mention is incorrect meaning Ford's description is different than what FORD Parts has when on phone with them.....L1MZ-15K867-BB $70.14 Not the one ending in BE

I installed and verified Pin outs when I plugged it into Harness Driverside behind inner fender. Now with that said I cannot find any info on fuse or relay if they exists. next step trying find as built info to change. guessing the Headlight control module may need a setting changed

I didn't push any further, as I thought the harness was the full harness. Sounds like you've made some headway. If you move over to the oem foglight thread, can you post your part numbers? Did you get the new button setup for the fogs? I heard a relay on the brake lights so I bet there is a relay for the fogs, not sure if that is in the switch or somewhere else.

Figured this comes up with every model/gen, I'll start the thread and any information can be added as progress is made.

I have an XLT w/o fog lights. I would like them, but for ease of functionality, they will need to be stock for me to want to do the mod.

I assume we need:
fog lights
black plastic fog light surround
Harness for fogs lights
light switch knob
Programming in forscan to enable

So far part wise:
Harness - Without auto park, with fog lamps.
L1MZ-15K867-BE

Left trim w/ fog
LB5Z-15266-AA

Left fog lamp
LB5Z-15201-A

Right trim w/ fog
LB5Z-15266-AB

Right Fog lamp
LB5Z-15200-C

Headlight switch - Power lift gate, without interceptor, 2.3L, 3.0L with fog lamps.
LB5Z-11654-FA

Need to look into some of the forscan settings if there are any foglight enable.
I used ForScan to enable fog lights, I now have a green foglight icon on dash when fog lights are turned on. Unfortunately that's the only thing that does light up. The fog lights do not turn on... My next step is to try and find as bulit with fog lights and compare the settings after spending hours on the Motocraft site following wiring diagrams it seems the BCM module is either missing the FET's or they are disabled and need to be changed in the as built section which requires a known address. IPC BCM settings have been done via enable

The BCM module supplies the Voltage and protects circuitS using FET’s On each light feed
I have enabled the all TheFog options in BCM and IFC modules still no 12vdv

waiting for asbuilt codes to modify BCM

The BCM module supplies the Voltage and protects circuitS using FET’s On each light feed
I have enabled the all TheFog options in BCM and IFC modules still no 12vdv

waiting for asbuilt codes to modify BCM

if the moderator can move thread that’s fine with me

i posted a thread of a large handful of asbuilt codes for models of explorers with different features. That may be what you’re looking for?

edit: here is my post with lots of asbuilt sheets 2020 FORSCAN Discussion

Hello,

I'm new to the form so if there is already a thread with this question then sorry. I'm buying my wife a 2020 XLT and it bothers me that it's not coming with fog lights. Does the 2020 have many aftermarket companies that make these lights and if so are they easy to install?

Thanks in advance :chug::usa:
following, same issue

Welcome to the Forum Brad. :wave:
They are included with the XLT 202A package.

Peter

Sea Ray,, Has anyone made any progress with adding fog lights? I have access to fog lights, the trims, and forscan. Just need the harness and light switch. But before I buy anything, wanted to check if anyone made any progress.

Sea Ray,, Has anyone made any progress with adding fog lights? I have access to fog lights, the trims, and forscan. Just need the harness and light switch. But before I buy anything, wanted to check if anyone made any progress.
Forget forscan the BCM does support fog lamps. I ended up taping into the parking lamp wire and ran that to a relay. Fog lights come on with parking lamps along with head lights when turned on. The current draw for fog lamps is less than 1 amp. In hind sight I wish I just spent the extra $$$$$ when I bought it. I have some video and pictures I'll post with a link to my Dropbox account.

Here is a technician who tried to enable them and he succeeded

so watched the dudes video in block 42 he changed one code on forscan. he also tapped one wire added a relay. so idk what he did there? the people who tried it did you add the proper switch? do you have any ideal what wire he tapped. idk if hes not speaking english or i just not good. ive thought about pm him and asking what he did with his relay.

Hello,

I'm new to the form so if there is already a thread with this question then sorry. I'm buying my wife a 2020 XLT and it bothers me that it's not coming with fog lights. Does the 2020 have many aftermarket companies that make these lights and if so are they easy to install?

Thanks in advance :chug::usa:
I am in the middle of 3 months working on that with the 2017 PIU WITH the electrical book; which will drive anyone nutz!
I will say this... It isn't gonna be easy. Still trying to figure out how to get to the fuse box! Ugg!

images.jpg

Driving in the fog, just like driving in the rain, causes diminished value.
At least that's what some are claiming on the Mustang forums ............
:rolleyes:
And when you get the fog fixtures themselves the front bumper has to come off (well at least the 2017 did) but they come with the halogen lights. You best bet is to get a bright YELLOW/ amber light because it cuts through the fog so much better than getting the reflection from the white.

I added fog lights to my 2020 XLT and used FORScan to enable the dash icon and the BdyCM The problem is I cannot get them to work...looking for any info regarding a fuse or relay location....Village Ford has the best prices so far.....The harness mention is incorrect meaning Ford's description is different than what FORD Parts has when on phone with them.....L1MZ-15K867-BB $70.14 Not the one ending in BE

I installed and verified pin outs when I plugged it into harness driver side; behind inner fender. Now with that said, I cannot find any info on fuse or relay if they exists. Next step; trying to find as-built info to change. Guessing the headlight control module may need a setting changed.
Is the connector that you tapped into the one in this picture?
I have the electrical book that seems to have been a waste of $70.00.
I was told that one of the computer programs will get the fog lights to work. Not sure if it is FORScan or the one that only the techs have.
I installed the regular headlight switch for the normal ExploDer with the fog light switch on it, but it takes care of the dome light and does not show up on the dash even though the icon is there. Not sure if they didn't even bother installing the bulb there.
One more this is to check your fuse box and see if the two busbars are all rusty/corroded. If so disconnect the negative on the battery and put a rag around it so it doesn't accidentally touch the battery again. Then clean up the posts really good with a wire brush and put dielectric grease on it so you don't have THAT problem later on.

IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1208.JPG

Could NOT understand this guy and after 2 minutes stopped it.
i went through all of it but i cant understand alot of it. i do know what he added in a forscan and he did add a relay and tapped some wire. idk what he tapped though? that im guessing is what sends power to the relay. you can see the red wire in the harness he added toward the beginning. so im guessing something sends signal from the switch and he tapped it. apparently there is a relay not installed in a xlt without. but its in the fuse panel it seems.

Forget forscan the BCM does support fog lamps. I ended up taping into the parking lamp wire and ran that to a relay. Fog lights come on with parking lamps along with head lights when turned on. The current draw for fog lamps is less than 1 amp. In hind sight I wish I just spent the extra $$$$$ when I bought it. I have some video and pictures I'll post with a link to my Dropbox account.
on a stock one they should only work when the park lights are on. so im wondering if you need to piggy back the power off those and then switch to activate the other side of the relay. that may be what the guy tapped in the video to get power to his relay. then the switch triggers it. i dont have mine in yet to mess with.

on a stock one they should only work when the park lights are on. so im wondering if you need to piggy back the power off those and then switch to activate the other side of the relay. that may be what the guy tapped in the video to get power to his relay. then the switch triggers it. i dont have mine in yet to mess with.
There is enough wires in the 20 pin connector located on the fender that connects to the other side under the driver's fender. When the weather is nice I need someone sitting in the driver's seat to turn the ignition switch on and off to test the large connector that I will have pictured below. The 10 pin connector under the drivers fender only has two wires going towards the BJB which is connected to the thermostat on the center of the grill BUT that harness has multiple wires in it with only the two connected. This tells me that this harness will accommodate the side sensors, and fogs and whatever else goes on a fully loaded Explorer.
What I have planned is to dig into that harness and look for the YE-OR as the hot and the BN as the ground. and hook that into the BC3Z-15A211-A which is the wiring assembly; fog lights that has the connectors that plug into the light itself. In the center of this fog light harness is a 4 pin connector which I can not find the opposite end. I tried getting a 4 pin male & female from Ford and they wanted over $125.00. There are 4 connectors on pigtails that they sell for trailers (see below) for $8.00 a pair which does exactly the same thing which I got.
Ford has asinine priced on simple stuff.

IMG_1218.JPG index.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back