Newbie to PIU life (2015 PIU), looking for carpet. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie to PIU life (2015 PIU), looking for carpet.

ltay1988

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Hi all, just got a 2015 PIU at auction and am new to the forum. I have been piece-mealing my upgrades for a couple of weeks now. I am very much not a car guy, so this is a fun learning project for me! I'm looking to buy a molded carpet to replace the vinyl flooring in it now, and was wondering if the configuration is the same as the Explorer. It's hard to find a carpet place with the PIU as an option. I've seen posts about how some parts seem to be able to cross over and some are different. Any help would be amazing!

p.s.- I'm very excited for my "welcome to the forum" post from @peterk9 that I've seen on so many posts in here :laugh:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Happy to oblige. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

I don't believe I've read any post about a complete carpet install. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Peter

The only issue I see is that these aftermarket carpets don't appear to have the anchors for the front if one wanted to install floor liners.

Peter

The only issue I see is that these aftermarket carpets don't appear to have the anchors for the front if one wanted to install floor liners.

Peter
you can buy the clips on ebay, they are pretty cheap

The floors are identical. having put Explorer 2nd row buckets and 3rd row seats into the PIU the floor pans and brackets are all the same. So carpet for the explorer should fit right in. If you plan to keep the stock seats and rear cargo area in PIU form, the back half may need to be trimmed. I can confirm the the PIU plastic floor doesn't cover much so Explorer carpet will cover a lot more and need some cutting and/or dissassembly if you want the carpet to fit nicely under all that police support brackets and rear area.

The floors are identical. having put Explorer 2nd row buckets and 3rd row seats into the PIU the floor pans and brackets are all the same. So carpet for the explorer should fit right in. If you plan to keep the stock seats and rear cargo area in PIU form, the back half may need to be trimmed. I can confirm the the PIU plastic floor doesn't cover much so Explorer carpet will cover a lot more and need some cutting and/or dissassembly if you want the carpet to fit nicely under all that police support brackets and rear area.
This is amazing, thank you for replying! Exactly what I wanted to know.

Not true. There is a change to carpet at the left foot well for vehicles 2016 and up. Ask me how I know :)

Not true. There is a change to carpet at the left foot well for vehicles 2016 and up. Ask me how I know :)
I have a 14 and he’s got a 15 so I don’t know what was changed for 16+ but from what I can tell 11-15 floor pans seem the same.

for 16+ where are they different? Do you have pictures? Just curious because I thought about grabbing carpet from a wreck or ordering carpet in the future.

I have a 14 and he’s got a 15 so I don’t know what was changed for 16+ but from what I can tell 11-15 floor pans seem the same.

for 16+ where are they different? Do you have pictures? Just curious because I thought about grabbing carpet from a wreck or ordering carpet in the future.
my donor car was a 14 - Ford reworked the left footwell to give more room in 16+ so the molded carpet has a roughly 2 inch air gap behind it. Unfortunately, that means that whenever you put your foot down and press on that gap, it pulls the carpet away from the door side trim. There are other threads here that note the change in floor/carpet.....unfortunately, I only found them after experiencing this issue.

Quick search couldn't find other threads here, but I did look at replacement carpets who list 11-15 and 16-19 with different part numbers. Hope my (unfortunate) situation helps others!

This talks about the difference between the 2014 and 2015.

Peter

Hi all, just got a 2015 PIU at auction and am new to the forum. I have been piece-mealing my upgrades for a couple of weeks now. I am very much not a car guy, so this is a fun learning project for me! I'm looking to buy a molded carpet to replace the vinyl flooring in it now, and was wondering if the configuration is the same as the Explorer. It's hard to find a carpet place with the PIU as an option. I've seen posts about how some parts seem to be able to cross over and some are different. Any help would be amazing!

p.s.- I'm very excited for my "welcome to the forum" post from @peterk9 that I've seen on so many posts in here :laugh:
Itay1988 - I'm also new to the forum but have been lurking since the end of 2020 when I picked up my 2016 PIU (a former Washington state patrol PIU). I purchased my custom floor mats from Nenno Products and have been very happy with them (as well as the black spotlight hole sticker/cover). I also added an aftermarket center console, auto headlights (requires a light sensor, new switch, and ForScan), a couple of ham radio antennas and radios that switch from the 4-switch steering wheel controls, rear doors that open from the inside, rear speakers that aren't actually closed in the door panel, 2nd row headrests, pet cover for the cargo area, a rear tailgate that unlocks with the rest of the car, tow hitch, and bolted on Yakima roof rack. Still a few more mods in the works for me but here is the link to the carpets I've been happy with:

Itay1988 - I'm also new to the forum but have been lurking since the end of 2020 when I picked up my 2016 PIU (a former Washington state patrol PIU). I purchased my custom floor mats from Nenno Products and have been very happy with them (as well as the black spotlight hole sticker/cover). I also added an aftermarket center console, auto headlights (requires a light sensor, new switch, and ForScan), a couple of ham radio antennas and radios that switch from the 4-switch steering wheel controls, rear doors that open from the inside, rear speakers that aren't actually closed in the door panel, 2nd row headrests, pet cover for the cargo area, a rear tailgate that unlocks with the rest of the car, tow hitch, and bolted on Yakima roof rack. Still a few more mods in the works for me but here is the link to the carpets I've been happy with:

That's awesome! Good to know there's someone out there making things specifically for the PIU. I ended up ordering a full carpet kit and will likely supplement that with some rubber mats. But I wasn't sure where I was going to get the hole plugs for the spotlights, so thanks for the link!

Welcome to the Forum K3OG. :wave:

Peter

That's awesome! Good to know there's someone out there making things specifically for the PIU. I ended up ordering a full carpet kit and will likely supplement that with some rubber mats. But I wasn't sure where I was going to get the hole plugs for the spotlights, so thanks for the link!
Are you referring to possibly adding Husky or Weathertech liners? If so, they have to be anchored to the carpeted floor to prevent them from sliding forward and possibly impacting the accelerator.

Peter

Are you referring to possibly adding Husky or Weathertech liners? If so, they have to be anchored to the carpeted floor to prevent them from sliding forward and possibly impacting the accelerator.

Peter
Something like those, yeah. I've been checking out anchors I can put in to hold them in place, like these

I don't think they will work with the mentioned liners as the liners just snap in place over the anchors. The anchors are actually part of the carpet.
The 2nd picture is the bottom view of the anchor point, Note: these are of the Lincoln OEM liner and carpet but similar to the other Explorers I've had.

Peter

anchor.jpg

anchor[1].jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something like those, yeah. I've been checking out anchors I can put in to hold them in place, like these
I looking into those type of anchors too and decided they would only work if glued to the vinyl flooring or a hole was drilled through the anchor clips and they were riveted to the plastic flooring. After looking at it, I decided one would risk ripping the flooring if you pulled too hard on the floor mat (I often change in the drivers seat after a muddy mountain bike ride and could easily see this happening). In the end, my 6+ months of use with the Nanno products mats have been good with minimal wear or sliding around.

Peterk9 - thanks for the welcome from another Peter, K3OG

Back