Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates

Well I got impatient and rolled back to 20282 again. This time I turned off both the auto OTA update and WIFI. Guess I'll see what happens over the next few days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ohhh boy. I saw from the explorers sync screen there was an update. It didn't download, so today I decided to download to usb and low and behold the site says the car is on the newest version, but with users having issues, I assume the newer version(s) are having issues ? :(

ohhh boy. I saw from the explorers sync screen there was an update. It didn't download, so today I decided to download to usb and low and behold the site says the car is on the newest version, but with users having issues, I assume the newer version(s) are having issues ? :(
What SYNC version does your Explorer show you have? The newest one is 21020 and that is the one that has caused issues for some of us. Yesterday I rolled mine back to 20282 and so far all is working as it should again. I did make sure to turn WIFI and auto updates off. The last time I rolled it back I had left WIFI on and Ford pushed 21020 back on to my Explorer.

SYNC 3 currently shows:
3.4 build 20282_PRODUCT

SYNC 3 currently shows:
3.4 build 20282_PRODUCT
That version for me has been good with no issues. 21020 not so much but some are running it fine.

That version for me has been good with no issues. 21020 not so much but some are running it fine.
ah then screw it, I'll stay on this current version.

I believe it pulls your local map chunk first along with the nav voice pack and license. Then pulls the other map chunks after. Hence, you see it as updated, but more pieces keep coming down.

I haven't had any issues with TravelLink on either of my cars when I rolled them back. The newer one took a bit to get traffic info down after the first reboot, but everything has been working fine there.
Is there a way to know with certainty that it has pulled all the chunks? I've been watching mine pretty closely the last couple of days. I've seen 5 files 4U5T-14G421-CDD_1615428361000.TAR.GZ, ....-CED_, ...-.CFD_, ....-CGD_, and ....-CHD_ download. CHD was the last file that downloaded today. This evening, when I checked for updates, it tells me my system is up to date. Seems like ....-CJD_ should have shown up after CHD downloaded. Is it safe to assume the other files download before I was aware of the TravelLink problem and paying close attention to updates? When updates are done via a thumb drive, the system automatically reboots itself during the installation process. When does the rebooting occur (if at all) during an OTA update? I guess like others have done, once I'm certain the NA 220 update is complete, I should do a master reset. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Is there a way to know with certainty that it has pulled all the chunks? I've been watching mine pretty closely the last couple of days. I've seen 5 files 4U5T-14G421-CDD_1615428361000.TAR.GZ, ....-CED_, ...-.CFD_, ....-CGD_, and ....-CHD_ download. CHD was the last file that downloaded today. This evening, when I checked for updates, it tells me my system is up to date. Seems like ....-CJD_ should have shown up after CHD downloaded. Is it safe to assume the other files download before I was aware of the TravelLink problem and paying close attention to updates? When updates are done via a thumb drive, the system automatically reboots itself during the installation process. When does the rebooting occur (if at all) during an OTA update? I guess like others have done, once I'm certain the NA 220 update is complete, I should do a master reset. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
I show a total of 13 files downloaded to complete. The last one I show was the CAH file.

The dealership replaced the APIM and ACM in my 21 and SiriusXM Travel link worked for the first few power cycles and stopped working again. I am going to try and downgrade back to 20282 and do a master reset and hope that fixes it.

Decided to call Ford support today. After giving them all my info and explaining what is happening, they said this is a known issue that they don't have a fix for so far. Same as N3DD stated. They did open a case number (My dealer said they can't get one) and will be escalating. I am expecting to hear back from them by the 9th.
In the mean time I'm back on 20282 for the last 2 days. Travel Link has worked every time with about 10 of starts. Plan to leave it there for a few days yet and then I might turn the WIFI back on and auto updates.

The dealership replaced the APIM and ACM in my 21 and SiriusXM Travel link worked for the first few power cycles and stopped working again. I am going to try and downgrade back to 20282 and do a master reset and hope that fixes it.
I'm having my doubts it's a hardware issue and more likely the software. But then if so, why isn't every one having this issue.

When I rolled back to 20282 I did not do a master reset, Can't hurt though.

I'm scheduled to take mine to the dealership on Monday for them to check the APIM. Ford said they were receiving a communication fault DTC code. I'm guessing that it might check out OK and that the software is causing the code, but who knows. I will ask them to check when they first received the code and if it was after I updated to 21020.

Earlier I stated I would wait until I returned from a road trip before updating my software. On my way through Georgia I noticed some new roads showing up so I checked the versions of Sync and maps and see that both are on the new versions. Only thing I have noticed as a problem so far is the Travel Link apps are spotty. Sometimes they work fine and sometimes not. Haven’t dropped phone connection lately so maybe that is fixed. Time will tell. This is on a 2020 Aviator.

If it updated while you were away you must have been parked close to and connected to some free WiFi hotspots since that is what it requires to work OTA. Also, some Travel Link apps will not work when the vehicle is in motion.

Peter

If it updated while you were away you must have been parked close to and connected to some free WiFi hotspots since that is what it requires to work OTA. Also, some Travel Link apps will not work when the vehicle is in motion.
Peter - Sometimes they show as loaded and other times they show as loading but never complete. Weather maps is one of the few that I use and it works at times.

Just returned from a two week trip and found some time to roll mine back to 20282 a couple of days ago. Travel link was pretty much 100% back to normal and worked well. (Helpful also as we drove through some nasty rain storms and the weather radar was helpful in our route planning.) However ...

I have noticed that none of my favorites "stick". For example, after loading 20282, I added the favorite for our Home address. Next key turn, it was gone. Since we started driving "home" three days ago, every single time the car was turned off, HOME was gone. At first I reloaded it, then gave up but thankfully it was on the "History" tab. Also, I like to use 3D map views and the AUTO magnification function. Since rolling back to 20282, I now notice that these personalizations also reset back to flat and a single magnification level with each shutdown. Very frustrating as this never happened prior to the whole 21020 mess.

Our ST goes into the shop this week for this and a broken trim piece. We'll see what they say.

Ken

Just returned from a two week trip and found some time to roll mine back to 20282 a couple of days ago. Travel link was pretty much 100% back to normal and worked well. (Helpful also as we drove through some nasty rain storms and the weather radar was helpful in our route planning.) However ...

I have noticed that none of my favorites "stick". For example, after loading 20282, I added the favorite for our Home address. Next key turn, it was gone. Since we started driving "home" three days ago, every single time the car was turned off, HOME was gone. At first I reloaded it, then gave up but thankfully it was on the "History" tab. Also, I like to use 3D map views and the AUTO magnification function. Since rolling back to 20282, I now notice that these personalizations also reset back to flat and a single magnification level with each shutdown. Very frustrating as this never happened prior to the whole 21020 mess.

Our ST goes into the shop this week for this and a broken trim piece. We'll see what they say.

Ken
If 20282 worked fine with the old map and now has a problem with the new map maybe that's the cause of the issues?

Ken

Have you tried to master reset? I know others also saw some odd problems after updating with respect to the nav favorites and all that. May help.

About the only issue I am having is out of the blue Sirius just quits working. It happened twice on my trip back from Tennessee. Rest area, turn off for a few minutes and restart it's back on. It is even happening on my wife's 2020 Fusion. Both my 2020 Explorer and 2020 Fusion are OTA updating something. Not sure what. Oh exciting times we have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried to master reset? I know others also saw some odd problems after updating with respect to the nav favorites and all that. May help.
I did a reset before the install, but not after ... on my way .... :)

Thanks!!

(After Master Reset and four restarts ... everything's in place!! So far, so good!! Thanks!!)

Ken

Back