Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates

About the only issue I am having is out of the blue Sirius just quits working. It happened twice on my trip back from Tennessee. Rest area, turn off for a few minutes and restart it's back on. It is even happening on my wife's 2020 Fusion. Both my 2020 Explorer and 2020 Fusion are OTA updating something. Not sure what. Oh exciting times we have.
Check your Sync version/build and NA map version. If you have the latest version 21020 then it's likely loading the new maps.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a reset before the install, but not after ... on my way .... :)

Thanks!!

(After Master Reset and four restarts ... everything's in place!! So far, so good!! Thanks!!)

Ken
Did you have any issues with FordPass after the master reset?

After down grading back to version 20282 SiriusXM TravelLink has been working correctly for several days.

Did you have any issues with FordPass after the master reset?
No. It removed and reset the “authorization” of course but once done it seems to be back to normal.

Ken

I'm scheduled to take mine to the dealership on Monday for them to check the APIM. Ford said they were receiving a communication fault DTC code. I'm guessing that it might check out OK and that the software is causing the code, but who knows. I will ask them to check when they first received the code and if it was after I updated to 21020.
I just left the dealership and to no surprise the APIM checked out OK. I also noticed that more DTC codes were sent after the 21020 update. So we are back to square one. At least I do not have to go back and waste a half a day for a useless hardware swap. They are sending an email explaining their findings and I requested that they ask what they are going to do next. Coincidently, Travel Link was working to and from the dealership. When it fails I am going to do a roll back to 20282.

Well today I did what others have already tried with the same results. I did a soft reboot (power button and >>), master reset, Sirius tech support, and Ford Customer Service (Sync help section). The Ford Sync rep also had me do a “Sync module reset” which was shut the engine off, open the door, press the lock button, close the door and wait for two horn honks. Travel Link still doesn’t work. The Sync rep couldn’t tell me when 3.4.21098 would be available via the Ford website. He did say that he recommends against OTA updates as the updates take too long due to file size. No kidding…. I’m through with OTA. Anyway, I’m of the opinion that those of us with this problem can either revert to 20282 or wait for 21098. Thanks to everyone for the informative posts on this forum.

I just left the dealership and to no surprise the APIM checked out OK. I also noticed that more DTC codes were sent after the 21020 update. So we are back to square one. At least I do not have to go back and waste a half a day for a useless hardware swap. They are sending an email explaining their findings and I requested that they ask what they are going to do next. Coincidently, Travel Link was working to and from the dealership. When it fails I am going to do a roll back to 20282.
I rolled mine back to 20282 last Thursday, Every thing was working fine again. Then I made the mistake of turning my WIFI on. So right now it is is in the process of downloading 21020. Oh well, I opened a case with Ford and they are to be calling me by Wednesday. I shall see what they have to say.

I rolled mine back to 20282 last Thursday, Every thing was working fine again. Then I made the mistake of turning my WIFI on. So right now it is is in the process of downloading 21020. Oh well, I opened a case with Ford and they are to be calling me by Wednesday. I shall see what they have to say.
Dale, is that downloading even though you have auto downloads turned OFF?

Peter

Dale, is that downloading even though you have auto downloads turned OFF?

Peter

I do have auto downloads turned off. Some how it can bypass that I guess. I did get an email from the Ford IVT team today telling me to make an appointment with my dealer. In it they are telling the dealer should look for trouble code APIM | U1A00:87:08. So I guess that will be my next step either once 21020 is finished or if my dealer can finish it.

I do have auto downloads turned off. Some how it can bypass that I guess. I did get an email from the Ford IVT team today telling me to make an appointment with my dealer. In it they are telling the dealer should look for trouble code APIM | U1A00:87:08. So I guess that will be my next step either once 21020 is finished or if my dealer can finish it.
Sounds like what they told me about the APIM. When I brought it in yesterday they ran diagnostics on the APIM and it checked out OK. I'm waiting for what they say next

I was scheduled in tomorrow (Wednesday, 9 Jun), but since 20282 was installed, things have been running mostly smoothly. There's a few transitions that are a bit slower, and the TravelLink seems to load their data slower than before, but all in all it seems to be OK. Rather than have the dealer mess something up further, I told him I'd hold off until after the next "real" release that addresses the issues of 21020 directly. I have verified that my WIFI is OFF and the auto update feature is also OFF and so far (three days) nothing has been downloaded to mess it up again!!

As I mentioned above, I can confirm that doing the master reset after loading 20282 is required to restore "normal" functions and once done, everything seems to be working as it should.

Ken

For those who may not know, under "General Settings” there’s a subsection, “Sync Analytics & Diagnostics." Under that section there’s an option “Submit feedback.” Select that and you’ll see various items on which to submit feedback. There are a number of relevant items including Travel Link and Software updates. I’ve used it, and recommend others having problems with 21020 consider doing so. Ford knows they have a problem, but I figure the more feedback the better.

For those who may not know, under "General Settings” there’s a subsection, “Sync Analytics & Diagnostics." Under that section there’s an option “Submit feedback.” Select that and you’ll see various items on which to submit feedback. There are a number of relevant items including Travel Link and Software updates. I’ve used it, and recommend others having problems with 21020 consider doing so. Ford knows they have a problem, but I figure the more feedback the better.

Yep, this is available. Just make sure you submit the report as soon after the problem as possible.

Well it failed today so I successfully rolled it back to 20282. I have WIFI and Auto Updates turned off so we'll see how long this lasts. In the meantime I'm still bugging the dealership for an answer.
I was scheduled in tomorrow (Wednesday, 9 Jun), but since 20282 was installed, things have been running mostly smoothly. There's a few transitions that are a bit slower, and the TravelLink seems to load their data slower than before, but all in all it seems to be OK. Rather than have the dealer mess something up further, I told him I'd hold off until after the next "real" release that addresses the issues of 21020 directly. I have verified that my WIFI is OFF and the auto update feature is also OFF and so far (three days) nothing has been downloaded to mess it up again!!

As I mentioned above, I can confirm that doing the master reset after loading 20282 is required to restore "normal" functions and once done, everything seems to be working as it should.

Ken
Thanks for the reminder about the Master Reset. Be careful that you check to see if WIFI and Auto Update defaults to On after the reset. Mine did.

.......................................Be careful that you check to see if WIFI and Auto Update defaults to On after the reset. Mine did.
After reading some posts here, it appears debatable whether setting Auto Updates to OFF really has any effect.

Peter

After reading some posts here, it appears debatable whether setting Auto Updates to OFF really has any effect.

Peter
From my experience turning auto update off didn't do anything. Turning wifi off did.

From my experience turning auto update off didn't do anything. Turning wifi off did.
You were actually the one I was thinking of Dale. ;)

So I think I might have discovered a temporary work around with the travel link issue not b working. Worked 4 times so far.... If I remote start my Explorer and let it run a few minutes when I get in after a bit everything shows as subscribed. It's still wrong but my travel link seems to work. Same result as doing a master reset basically vs just starting my vehicle and only sports and movie times working.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I think I might have discovered a temporary work around with the travel link issue not b working. Worked 4 times so far.... If I remote start my Explorer and let it run a few minutes when I get in after a bit everything shows as subscribed. It's still wrong but my travel link seems to work. Same result as doing a master reset basically vs just starting my vehicle and only sports and movie times working.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If it's like mine, you don't have to remote start for this to work. Mine will show 'Unsubscribed' after every ignition cycle and will usually change to 'Subscribed' within about 30 seconds. See my post here Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates

Peter

Back