Boost controller? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boost controller?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was that the $145 one?
Idk, I didn't shop around...

20210610_193649.jpg

Yes...it was purchased via Tasca. I'm no fan of it either, but it is what it is...
I’ve tried to contact the top two people in your tuner list…neither reply. Wondering how easy it would be to get my tune if I did business with them…?

I’ve tried to contact the top two people in your tuner list…neither reply. Wondering how easy it would be to get my tune if I did business with them…?
You tried to contact Brad? He's very tough to reach. He has no website nor social media presence. Only email. It is his Achilles heel and is a legitimate gripe. However, its just a side business for him and is probably one of the most open tuners out there. He will go in depth to explain all the changes he's made and why. Matt on the other hand is generally very easy to reach. He is active on FB and can be messaged there easily. Matt Robinson is his name. His responses to questions can sometimes be very short and abrupt, but he has a very significant following and highly regarded in the ecoboost community..

Not sure how much time you gave them to respond or how much research you've done on them outside of what I've spoken on, but most of it will concur.

Ortiz Performance is very good too and offers killer deals on starter packages, just as Matt does. Lee Ament is the representative for Ortiz that is very active on FB as well...

You tried to contact Brad? He's very tough to reach. He has no website nor social media presence. Only email. It is his Achilles heel and is a legitimate gripe. However, its just a side business for him and is probably one of the most open tuners out there. He will go in depth to explain all the changes he's made and why. Matt on the other hand is generally very easy to reach. He is active on FB and can be messaged there easily. Matt Robinson is his name. His responses to questions can sometimes be very short and abrupt, but he has a very significant following and highly regarded in the ecoboost community..

Not sure how much time you gave them to respond or how much research you've done on them outside of what I've spoken on, but most of it will concur.

Ortiz Performance is very good too and offers killer deals on starter packages, just as Matt does. Lee Ament is the representative for Ortiz that is very active on FB as well...
I don’t have Facebook but tried by email.

I don’t have Facebook but tried by email.
Yeah, Brad may take some time to get back to you. But you can also call GearHead or Ortiz or any of the other ones...they have shop numbers.

Where did you get Brad's email, btw?

Yeah, Brad may take some time to get back to you. But you can also call GearHead or Ortiz or any of the other ones...they have shop numbers.

Where did you get Brad's email, btw?
I got it from the ecoboost website. I contacted gearhead and they haven’t gotten back to me either which is a surprise since I used their website to contact them.

I got it from the ecoboost website. I contacted gearhead and they haven’t gotten back to me either which is a surprise since I used their website to contact them.
How long ago did you send it? These guys are all usually just one-man operations...you're gonna have to be patient my friend. They all tune a lot of people's cars. And as mentioned, Brad has a main job, he does tuning on the side and has developed a name for himself in the community for having quality tunes. He responds typically in the evenings or during weekends.

Again, GearHead and Ortiz have phone numbers...you can always call...

With a 3bar sensor and a tune roughly what kind of boost and HP numbers do you get?

Thanks for all the info

With a 3bar sensor and a tune roughly what kind of boost and HP numbers do you get?

Thanks for all the info
So basically 100% stock. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 50-70 hp gain. This all depends on how aggressive the tuning is of course (boost and timing advance). Contingent on fuel type as well. Many people have a lot of luck and good power numbers with an e30 blend.

So basically 100% stock. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 50-70 hp gain. This all depends on how aggressive the tuning is of course (boost and timing advance). Contingent on fuel type as well. Many people have a lot of luck and good power numbers with an e30 blend.
Unfortunately, mine isn’t flex fuel, so can’t use any e-85. I use straight 91 octane, no ethanol

Unfortunately, mine isn’t flex fuel, so can’t use any e-85. I use straight 91 octane, no ethanol
no one has a flex fuel ecoboost...they don't exist, only the NA versions are legit Flex Fuels...however, most regular fuels have about 10-15% ethanol in it at the pump to begin with.

That being said...MANY people are running an e30 tune...you need to get out into the community my friend, LOL. Your eyes will be opened up.

Or you can always run a race fuel tune for 100 octane for those days of spirited driving during your visits to Mexico. The fuel is pricey but it is what I ran for quite some time until I switched to 100% e85...and yes, I don't have a flex fuel vehicle either...it CAN be done. Straight e85 requires some serious upgraded components however, so keeping it to e30 (as many, many, many people do) is just fine in this platform, even with no-mods/tune-only. Get an SCT/HPT device and find a tuning shop of your choice and get yourself a number of tunes you can load on-the-fly. A 91 Performance, a 91 Tow, a 100 Race, an 87 Economy, and an e30 Full Send tune...all at once, switching between them at your leisure...

There's a lot you don't know my friend, but that's why I'm here. I will gladly be your guide to a whole new world, lol.

no one has a flex fuel ecoboost...they don't exist, only the NA versions are legit Flex Fuels...however, most regular fuels have about 10-15% ethanol in it at the pump to begin with.

That being said...MANY people are running an e30 tune...you need to get out into the community my friend, LOL. Your eyes will be opened up.

Or you can always run a race fuel tune for 100 octane for those days of spirited driving during your visits to Mexico. The fuel is pricey but it is what I ran for quite some time until I switched to 100% e85...and yes, I don't have a flex fuel vehicle either...it CAN be done. Straight e85 requires some serious upgraded components however, so keeping it to e30 (as many, many, many people do) is just fine in this platform, even with no-mods/tune-only.

There's a lot you don't know my friend, but that's why I'm here. I will gladly be your guide to a whole new world, lol.

Or you can always run a race fuel tune for 100 octane for those days of spirited driving during your visits to Mexico. The fuel is pricey but it is what I ran for quite some time until I switched to 100% e85...and yes, I don't have a flex fuel vehicle either...it CAN be done. Straight e85 requires some serious upgraded components however, so keeping it to e30 (as many, many, many people do) is just fine in this platform, even with no-mods/tune-only.

I hesitate to put any mixture in it if it wasn’t meant for the car. I use straight 91 octane with no ethanol in it. I don’t like spending an extra $1 per gallon so I’m going to get a couple different tunes. Standard 87 and then the 91. The 3 bar map sensor sounds like a good idea as well, but as far as new exhaust or CAI, not for me….

I hesitate to put any mixture in it if it wasn’t meant for the car. I use straight 91 octane with no ethanol in it. I don’t like spending an extra $1 per gallon so I’m going to get a couple different tunes. Standard 87 and then the 91. The 3 bar map sensor sounds like a good idea as well, but as far as new exhaust or CAI, not for me….
That's what makes this so great...it's all what you want to do...just know that is VERY common and has been for years. It's all up to your comfort level. Sky's the limit, my friend. I realize that not everyone wants to push the envelope like myself.

That's what makes this so great...it's all what you want to do...just know that is VERY common and has been for years. It's all up to your comfort level. Sky's the limit, my friend. I realize that not everyone wants to push the envelope like myself.
It’s an everyday driver so I want some fun, but it has to make sense too. I don’t want to be mixing gas and things like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the articles I've read, the limited amount of ethanol that is mixed with gas actually increases the gasoline's octane level in addition to decreasing the carbon monoxide levels being exhausted, although there is a very slight decrease in gas mileage.

"Adding ethanol to petrol in lower percentages, such as 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent petrol (E10), reduces carbon monoxide emissions from the petrol and improves fuel octane. Flexible fuel vehicles that can use E85 are widely available and come in many different styles from most major auto manufacturers."

Peter

Back