97 4.0 ohv issues after new injectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 4.0 ohv issues after new injectors

Jgelsinger

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
A little while back I installed new fuel injectors after having run seriously rich and sputtering issue. For two days it ran better than ever. Then like a light switch I can't accelerate passed 2,000 rpms. It just looses all power, especially up hills. By the time I had got home it was running rich again and dying on me every 5 minutes. After a bit of research I replaced the TPS with a junkyard part and did nothing. Any ideas? Keep in mind it has 190,000 miles. And in the past 6 months I've replaced these parts; upper and lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, o2 sensors, IAC, CTS, starter, water pump, fuel pump, coil pack, plugs and wires, and a few injector connections along with 6 new injectors. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check all vacuum lines for breaks or correct positions. Some of the small ones can become brittle and crack easily. Maybe clear your computer of the old readings and let it cycle through.

I would check all vacuum lines for breaks or correct positions. Some of the small ones can become brittle and crack easily. Maybe clear your computer of the old readings and let it cycle through.
I think my lines are good. I've sprayed damn near a whole can of starter fluid in that bay in the last couple months lol. However I thought I hard something yesterday. I'm afraid I may have an issue with the injector connection at cylinder 3. This was my culprit before. And it seems like that's where the sound is coming from. But honestly I don't think thats causing my current issue because this thingwas driven lot with vac leaks. It chugged some and would backfire. This feels like it's being told to shut down almost

It sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator ....I believe your 97 still used one on the fuel rail / passenger side near the front of engine.
Or possibly the timing chain jumped a tooth....hopefully not that.........
If regulator you want to get this oem one...the chinese ones have an incorrect seal and will leak.....

It sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator ....I believe your 97 still used one on the fuel rail / passenger side near the front of engine.
If regulator you want to get this oem one...the chinese ones have an incorrect seal and will leak.....
I
I failed to mention that it revs up fine in park and neutral when it's first started. It's not until it's warmed up and begins the sputtering issue that it no longer revs over 2k rpms

Cats plugged
Worth a look you have most of the symptoms
Also look at your fuel pump

I

I failed to mention that it revs up fine in park and neutral when it's first started. It's not until it's warmed up and begins the sputtering issue that it no longer revs over 2k rpms
New regulator, same problem.😑

Fuel pump is brand new. But it didn't come with the tiny filter on the actual pump. So I cleaned and reused the original. But it didn't feel snug. I'm wondering if it came off and all the gritty ctap has got in there. Come to think of it. It sounded funny last time it primed before starting

Cats plugged
Worth a look you have most of the symptoms
Also look at your fuel pumpra

So you got rich codes? ...or exhaust is smelling rich? ....or speculating ? Is it sputtering again or was that only before replacing injectors..? If still sputtering with other symptoms maybe throw a fuel filter at it at this point.....$10 and a little aggravation... use the metal pressure release tool...not the plastic ones...

OEM Cats are worth money $$$. Don't just dispose of them.

Fuel pump is brand new. But it didn't come with the tiny filter on the actual pump. So I cleaned and reused the original. But it didn't feel snug. I'm wondering if it came off and all the gritty ctap has got in there. Come to think of it. It sounded funny last time it primed before starting
I drilled the cats the " right way " by removing them and going with the air flow. But I guess it old re clog?
So you got rich codes? ...or exhaust is smelling rich? ....or speculating ? Is it sputtering again or was that only before replacing injectors..? If still sputtering with other symptoms maybe throw a fuel filter at it at this point.....$10 and a little aggravation... use the metal pressure release tool...not the plastic ones...
No codes. Sputtered bad before. Now it idles well, and at the right rpms. It's just when I accelerate. After about 2k rpms the pedal goes soft and it almost dies completely. It actually did die when I had to limp it 4 miles home when this first happened. It stalled 3 or 4 times. The fuel filter has less than 10 hours on it. I'll clean it out and if it's gunned at all I'll replace it

Okay....time to suggest a culprit I tend to point out when most else is exhausted...
When you removed the upper intake / plenum to replace injectors did you properly uninstall the EGR metal tube that goes into it (near front on drivers side) or take short cut and leave tube attached at EGR and just slid intake up and out of it? Leaks happen here at that seal where EGR tube inserts into upper intake if not perfectly reinstalled....spray starting fluid around it while buddy revs to keep running and see if idle jumps up more. It may be sealed good enough for idle-- lower vacuum --- but when accelerating a weak spot is presented.

EGR TUBE 2.jpg

Okay....time to suggest a culprit I tend to point out when most else is exhausted...
When you removed the upper intake / plenum to replace injectors did you properly uninstall the EGR metal tube that goes into it (near front on drivers side) or take short cut and leave tube attached at EGR and just slid intake up and out of it? Leaks happen here at that seal where EGR tube inserts into upper intake if not perfectly reinstalled....spray starting fluid around it while buddy revs to keep running and see if idle jumps up more. It may be sealed good enough for idle-- lower vacuum --- but when accelerating a weak spot is presented.

View attachment 331955
Yes I did discover this was leaking pretty bad.I actually used 2 orings there. The original warped one along with the new one on top. I even used JB weld steel stick around it after the intake was installed because it still whistled

What brand fuel pump did you install? ...was it a cheapo overseas manufacturer? I would run a fuel pressure test on it...I've heard the cheapos can go bad within a few months.... usually (just) last a few years.

What brand fuel pump did you install? ...was it a cheapo overseas manufacturer? I would run a fuel pressure test on it...I've heard the cheapos can go bad within a few months.... usually (just) last a few years.
I don't recall. It was almost $200 from advance auto

Cheep
Buy a bosch

Back