A4LD problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD problem

Wow, it's in good shape. Nice find. If you're handy and have a place to wrench, just Google A4LD parts. There are suppliers out there for them. Like I mentioned before, it's basically just a C3. That trans was used in various forms from about 1964 until the 80s. There is lots of support out there for them. I looked a little for parts yesterday. I found some new old stock parts on ebay as well. Also, I did find some rebuilt units on ebay. I'm not certain of the quality, but if they offer a warranty, it might be worth considering. I found one for about $1500. Green Sales is an obsolete ford parts supplier in Cincinnati. They are in my backyard. They have helped a lot on my projects. If they don't have the part, they will give you the part #. They have the ford master parts manuals that go back to the 30s. It's an amazing place. They can search the Ford dealer inventory for newer stuff as well, so they are really connected. It's like being at a dealer parts counter.
Wow, it's in good shape. Nice find. If you're handy and have a place to wrench, just Google A4LD parts. There are suppliers out there for them. Like I mentioned before, it's basically just a C3. That trans was used in various forms from about 1964 until the 80s. There is lots of support out there for them. I looked a little for parts yesterday. I found some new old stock parts on ebay as well. Also, I did find some rebuilt units on ebay. I'm not certain of the quality, but if they offer a warranty, it might be worth considering. I found one for about $1500. Green Sales is an obsolete ford parts supplier in Cincinnati. They are in my backyard. They have helped a lot on my projects. If they don't have the part, they will give you the part #. They have the ford master parts manuals that go back to the 30s. It's an amazing place. They can search the Ford dealer inventory for newer stuff as well, so they are really connected. It's like being at a dealer parts counter.
Ok so the A4LD 4 speed auto in my 93 dosen't wanna shift into 2nd gear unless I let off the gas it'll shift if I have the engine up to 3500 rpms the transmission fluid is pink looks Brand new I replaced the vacuum modulator a few months back the transmission use to slip for a few seconds before also had the bands adjusted seemed to help a little any thing I could replace with the transmission still in the truck? Anything I should try before having it rebuilt? Thanks in advance
Hey man do you know if a bad ECU could cause these transmission c
Hey man Do you know if a bad ecu could be causing my transmission problems? My abs light is back on and I had a problem with the oil light but now it's out for some reason it also had a problem starting in cold weather and I could never track it down

Hey man do you know if a bad ECU could cause these transmission c
Hey man Do you know if a bad ecu could be causing my transmission problems? My abs light is back on and I had a problem with the oil light but now it's out for some reason it also had a problem starting in cold weather and I could never track it down
The PCM controls 3-4 shift and torque converter lockup only. The other functions are controlled mechanically in the valving. The valve body will activate the bands and clutch packs based on line pressure, governor and modulator position. These are all internal to the trans case.

As far as ABS, it's an independent system from the engine controls. Almost always the abs light is set from a wheel speed sensor issue. You have a sensor in each front wheel knuckle and one in the rear axle housing.

There are many things that could cause a difficult start. Start with pulling codes and see what you find. If you don't have an OBD1 scanner, it would be worth it to get one. You can use the paperclip method to pull codes if you don't have a scanner. Another good thing to verify is fuel pressure. Make sure it's in the neighborhood of 35 PSI.

The PCM controls 3-4 shift and torque converter lockup only. The other functions are controlled mechanically in the valving. The valve body will activate the bands and clutch packs based on line pressure, governor and modulator position. These are all internal to the trans case.

As far as ABS, it's an independent system from the engine controls. Almost always the abs light is set from a wheel speed sensor issue. You have a sensor in each front wheel knuckle and one in the rear axle housing.

There are many things that could cause a difficult start. Start with pulling codes and see what you find. If you don't have an OBD1 scanner, it would be worth it to get one. You can use the paperclip method to pull codes if you don't have a scanner. Another good thing to verify is fuel pressure. Make sure it's in the neighborhood of 35 PSI.
Gotcha I'll get around to it this winter when it starts getting harder to start lol

Back