What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

I had no idea ranch hand built bumpers for these. That is awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They were apparently a very early set from RanchHand since it did not have their (current) customary ID Tag on the front, but instead had "RH" welded onto the inside of the horizontal pipe.

I used to sell them their steel and cut pieces to build the bumpers back in '96. I toured their facility in '97 when they were building bumpers out of part of the Kaspar Wire Works shop there in Shiner, TX. That was a long time ago...

They were apparently a very early set from RanchHand since it did not have their (current) customary ID Tag on the front, but instead had "RH" welded onto the inside of the horizontal pipe.

I used to sell them their steel and cut pieces to build the bumpers back in '96. I toured their facility in '97 when they were building bumpers out of part of the Kaspar Wire Works shop there in Shiner, TX. That was a long time ago...
That's cool. You likely had a hand in the very bumpers on your vehicle. I can't imagine that there were too many of those made, much less a matched set front and rear.

...and they were painted to match the Tan of the EB Explorer they came off of. It was white with tan on the bottom. I had them sandblasted and then painted flat-black to go with my Ex.

Wednesday I used the Explorer to rip off huge branches off an old oak tree. These are pictures of the second branch I yanked out. A lot of work to get the tree down.

20210623_143422.jpg

20210623_143411.jpg

20210623_143359_HDR.jpg

I fabbed a post out of 1x1 that bolts up to where my cargo hook was.
Now my 5 gallon water jug doesn't slide around now. It swings out just enough to use it without unstrapping it.
0624211449a.jpg
0624211449.jpg

Cut out the floor to access my fuel pump and made a panel.
I'll finish it up tomorrow with paint and seal it and screw it down.
I know someday this pump will give out on me, so I figured do the access panel now and later I'll replace the pump when it shows signs of letting go.
I have no clue if this has ever been replaced from the former owners.
I didn't have to cut the hole to large due to having a 2 inch body lift on it, easy to reach and plenty of room to get it out at an angle.
Edit: I found a label on the fuel pump dated 2/13/06.
I was able to finish it today.
0627211351a.jpg
0627211532.jpg

0627211932.jpg

0627211938.jpg

When I replaced the body mount bushings a few months ago, I realized how easy it is to drop the tank so no access panels for me. Nice job, but I wouldn't be cutting out the floor if I didn't have to just in case the fuel pump fails. That is one of the cleanest jobs I have seen though.

That is very nicely done. The body lifts helps, every other one I've seen I'd call a hack job, rough cut edges, and a poor cover piece.

Thank you guys for the compliments.
My pump has been slightly noisy but still works good.
I'm getting ready to hit some trails and do some camping a week after the 4th for its maiden voyage since I bought this X last October.
So I bought a spare fuel pump just in case. If it does go out on the trail it will be easy to replace.
I know maybe I should replace it now. But I'm one that doesn't fix things until broken.
Otherwise I've been a long time member when I had my 2nd gen and it's good to see those that are still around keeping the Explorers alive.

Well, since the computer fix it's been running great, like a top....until today.....now I'm REALLY confused.....what this could have been. Basically when I got out of work, had weird idle, loss of power, terrible acceleration, and after about 2 lights, something must have gone back to normal if not made an improvement because while hammering the throttle in 2nd gear to get up to 35mph on my way to 45mph.....I get a short smoke show and them BOOM, like Mad Max just kicked in his supercharger, I suddenly have all the power in the world somehow and am whipping up the speedometer like a relative race-car with little to no effort from the engine whatsoever.

Wondering what this could have been? Blocked oil galley cleared itself? Head Gasket reseal? Valve stuck open? Chunk of a Sparkplug making it's way out of the exhaust? So weird. Still have my coolant, oil is at 100% capacity and clean and smells like nothing but normal oil. Exhaust was white, then blue for a second, and then quickly gone. So weird.

So looks like I'll be doing some research again. Oy vey. So far have not been able to find anyone on here where this happened suddenly and then went away like that with back to normal. It IS nearing Tune-Up Time anyway. Maybe pulling the plugs is in order.

I'd pull the plugs
Sounds like some carbon build-up fell off
Or a cat came unplugged

Well, since the computer fix it's been running great, like a top....until today.....now I'm REALLY confused.....what this could have been. Basically when I got out of work, had weird idle, loss of power, terrible acceleration, and after about 2 lights, something must have gone back to normal if not made an improvement because while hammering the throttle in 2nd gear to get up to 35mph on my way to 45mph.....I get a short smoke show and them BOOM, like Mad Max just kicked in his supercharger, I suddenly have all the power in the world somehow and am whipping up the speedometer like a relative race-car with little to no effort from the engine whatsoever.

Wondering what this could have been? Blocked oil galley cleared itself? Head Gasket reseal? Valve stuck open? Chunk of a Sparkplug making it's way out of the exhaust? So weird. Still have my coolant, oil is at 100% capacity and clean and smells like nothing but normal oil. Exhaust was white, then blue for a second, and then quickly gone. So weird.

So looks like I'll be doing some research again. Oy vey. So far have not been able to find anyone on here where this happened suddenly and then went away like that with back to normal. It IS nearing Tune-Up Time anyway. Maybe pulling the plugs is in order.
Clogged catalytic converter maybe, if u have one? Wild guess. Oy vey :)

Honestly, check your grounds. Make sure everything has proper connections. I would bet the computer lost its mind for a sec and tried to compensate. I bet it flooded itself and took a second to clear out. You may even try to pull codes to see if anything was recorded.

By computer fix, are referencing the capacitors in the PCM?

I'm thinking I agree Cat or Carbon Buildup based on the behavior, if it was the computer I"d be smelling gas based on before that re-cap. It started up fine, ran smoothly from standing with the hood open, only way I Could tell something was up was to look at the tach or try to drive it. By the second light I felt a GREAT relief on a very hard acceleration and then came some smoke, and then it was gone, clear exhaust.

I drove it to work this morning. None of this madness at all. Actually, seems a little happier than usual, like several hairs more power. Have to wonder if maybe I had a performance vampire in this and it cleared itself like some kind of self-sea-foam job.

92ex4x4 - I doubt it's the computer I replaced the caps in. I will still check codes - might clue me in (blocked spark plug/misfire/etc), though I got no CEL, which I Should have got if it was the PCM or CAT.....maybe the smoke was the Cat trapping whatever came out and burning it off but I would think that would trip a CEL from a sensor. I still might check grounds though since I am slowly replacing anything electrical that goes south ASAP. Better safe than sorry, plus I'm kind of detail mad when working on machinery.

Here's to hoping my truck just coughed up a congestent like it was doing it's own SeaFoam job, lol.

I'm thinking I agree Cat or Carbon Buildup based on the behavior, if it was the computer I"d be smelling gas based on before that re-cap. It started up fine, ran smoothly from standing with the hood open, only way I Could tell something was up was to look at the tach or try to drive it. By the second light I felt a GREAT relief on a very hard acceleration and then came some smoke, and then it was gone, clear exhaust.

I drove it to work this morning. None of this madness at all. Actually, seems a little happier than usual, like several hairs more power. Have to wonder if maybe I had a performance vampire in this and it cleared itself like some kind of self-sea-foam job.

92ex4x4 - I doubt it's the computer I replaced the caps in. I will still check codes - might clue me in (blocked spark plug/misfire/etc), though I got no CEL, which I Should have got if it was the PCM or CAT.....maybe the smoke was the Cat trapping whatever came out and burning it off but I would think that would trip a CEL from a sensor. I still might check grounds though since I am slowly replacing anything electrical that goes south ASAP. Better safe than sorry, plus I'm kind of detail mad when working on machinery.

Here's to hoping my truck just coughed up a congestent like it was doing it's own SeaFoam job, lol.
It was CARVID-19...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

😂 it's amazing what these v6s will snort up when you let them rip!

Back