Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates

Columbus....... India?

:laugh:

I do not envy the people I know who manage dev teams over seas, and I have no idea if Ford is outsourcing any of their software development but in this day and age its a reasonable assumption most industries outside of government contracts are using the :ahem: lower labor costs for some/most of their software needs.
The poster is "UofM Engineer". A University of Michigan alum as am I. So the reference is to our shared "belief" that everything bad comes from Columbus (Ohio), our hated sports rival. It's just a joke, and while not obscure for UM fans, if it has to be explained it's obviously not funny. Oh well, my attempt at levity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Columbus....... India?

:laugh:

I do not envy the people I know who manage dev teams over seas, and I have no idea if Ford is outsourcing any of their software development but in this day and age its a reasonable assumption most industries outside of government contracts are using the :ahem: lower labor costs for some/most of their software needs.

No doubt a difficult task with so many version but not insurmountable given staffing at Ford. Bugs are expected with all software but significant software failures should be found in beta testing, small insignificant bugs are understandable. My frustration is simply over time SYNC 2,3,4 just doesn't continuously improve it gets worse.

OTA updating is a complete bust with SYNC.....COMPLETE BUST!

So how come GM MyLink or Stellantis U-Connect are all round better systems and dont have these issues?

I use these other platforms at work, they boot up faster, screen transitions faster, graphics dont ghost when you move between sessions or features, bluetooth connectivity is solid not intermittent, bluetooth sound for cellular is crisp and clear, updates don't create more issues they fix issues.

SYNC3 is a complete embarrassment, I use SYNC4 in a few vehicles and to be honest its look and feel isn't that much of an improvement.

To compliment the SYNC issues FordPass works sometimes but not all the time, U-Connect and MyLink mobile platforms are cleaner, feature rich, more robust, easy to use and work all the time.

I wonder if I could load U-Connect on my APIM.............LOL!

The poster is "UofM Engineer". A University of Michigan alum as am I. So the reference is to our shared "belief" that everything bad comes from Columbus (Ohio), our hated sports rival. It's just a joke, and while not obscure for UM fans, if it has to be explained it's obviously not funny. Oh well, my attempt at levity.
I grew up in Indiana and the Boiler screen name fits with a place in West Lafayette 😉

I get the joke and added onto it or tried to at least

No doubt a difficult task with so many version but not insurmountable given staffing at Ford. Bugs are expected with all software but significant software failures should be found in beta testing, small insignificant bugs are understandable. My frustration is simply over time SYNC 2,3,4 just doesn't continuously improve it gets worse.

OTA updating is a complete bust with SYNC.....COMPLETE BUST!

So how come GM MyLink or Stellantis U-Connect are all round better systems and dont have these issues?

I use these other platforms at work, they boot up faster, screen transitions faster, graphics dont ghost when you move between sessions or features, bluetooth connectivity is solid not intermittent, bluetooth sound for cellular is crisp and clear, updates don't create more issues they fix issues.

SYNC3 is a complete embarrassment, I use SYNC4 in a few vehicles and to be honest its look and feel isn't that much of an improvement.

To compliment the SYNC issues FordPass works sometimes but not all the time, U-Connect and MyLink mobile platforms are cleaner, feature rich, more robust, easy to use and work all the time.

I wonder if I could load U-Connect on my APIM.............LOL!
It really depends on their dev structure and how effective their project management structure is. Some companies may keep it all in house, or they have a team of full time and contract employees in house and they sprinkle a few off shore contractors in the mix. Do they have one lead contractor who runs a group off shore? Ford knowingly rushed the new Explorer and cut corners along the way screwing the pooch on the launch what else have they been "trimming" to make things more "efficient" to lower their costs?

I bet it is one if not a combination of the above in most companies in this day and age, off shore contractors are very tempting from a line item standpoint who cares about the quality of the product six months down the road and the extra year it takes to get it back on track when they see the $$$ saved up front. Not a knock on the offshore guys but that kind of structure is extremely difficult to manage and sometimes things literally get lost in translation.

I am a firm believer that some companies get so fed up with missing milestones they finally say screw it and release the software to the consumer to let them continue beta testing with the plan to fix it in the next release...... The gaming industry has been doing this for years.

This is by no means a knock on the Ford software team but my view on the software world in its current state.

It really depends on their dev structure and how effective their project management structure is. Some companies may keep it all in house, or they have a team of full time and contract employees in house and they sprinkle a few off shore contractors in the mix. Do they have one lead contractor who runs a group off shore? Ford knowingly rushed the new Explorer and cut corners along the way screwing the pooch on the launch what else have they been "trimming" to make things more "efficient" to lower their costs?

I bet it is one if not a combination of the above in most companies in this day and age, off shore contractors are very tempting from a line item standpoint who cares about the quality of the product six months down the road and the extra year it takes to get it back on track when they see the $$$ saved up front. Not a knock on the offshore guys but that kind of structure is extremely difficult to manage and sometimes things literally get lost in translation.

I am a firm believer that some companies get so fed up with missing milestones they finally say screw it and release the software to the consumer to let them continue beta testing with the plan to fix it in the next release...... The gaming industry has been doing this for years.

This is by no means a knock on the Ford software team but my view on the software world in its current state.

That is probably very accurate and is understandable to me but why then do we not see the same issues with MyLink and U-Connect?

My wifes 2021 Jeep GC Overland has U-Connect5....I connect to WiFi, push update and it's literally completed in minutes not hours and it doesn't time out.......the system has never had issues period.

That is probably very accurate and is understandable to me but why then do we not see the same issues with MyLink and U-Connect?

My wifes 2021 Jeep GC Overland has U-Connect5....I connect to WiFi, push update and it's literally completed in minutes not hours and it doesn't time out.......the system has never had issues period.
Chrysler's Uconnect is the gold standard IMO. It is excellent. Panasonic did ver 4 and Harman is now doing ver 5 (which is finally Android based). All based on Chrysler requirements. I have the opportunity to drive RAM trucks on occasion and the system never disappoints. Travel Link hasn't skipped a beat.

20210618_095924.jpg

I just had mine in service today for this issue. Also I do have a case number opened with Ford on it. After running some tests today they did find some codes telling them to check for a number of things. Such as the ACM, the APIM and some wiring and grounds. They are going to need it for at least a couple days so I'm scheduled to drop it off on the 6th. In the mean time they are lining up a loaner for me so I do appreciate that.

I just had mine in service today for this issue. Also I do have a case number opened with Ford on it. After running some tests today they did find some codes telling them to check for a number of things. Such as the ACM, the APIM and some wiring and grounds. They are going to need it for at least a couple days so I'm scheduled to drop it off on the 6th. In the mean time they are lining up a loaner for me so I do appreciate that.
I guess they are still on this hardware kick. That's what they said about mine. Ford looked up my VIN and said that there were unspecified communication error codes being sent so they wanted to run a diagnostic check on the APIM and replace it if it failed. It didn't so I'm still waiting for them to tell me what's next. I immediately rolled back to 20282 and it's been working flawlessly since. That's great that they are giving you a loaner. I think I'll stop by my dealership today and see what if anything Ford has said about my case. (I should ask if they are seeing any APIM codes since I've rolled it back)

Good luck and keep us posted.

I guess they are still on this hardware kick. That's what they said about mine. Ford looked up my VIN and said that there were unspecified communication error codes being sent so they wanted to run a diagnostic check on the APIM and replace it if it failed. It didn't so I'm still waiting for them to tell me what's next. I immediately rolled back to 20282 and it's been working flawlessly since. That's great that they are giving you a loaner. I think I'll stop by my dealership today and see what if anything Ford has said about my case. (I should ask if they are seeing any APIM codes since I've rolled it back)

Good luck and keep us posted.
It would be interesting to see if there are any codes since you rolled it back. I've left mine on 21020 since it updated to it again because I turned the WIFI back on. If they don't get any where with it next week I might roll it back again. I would contact Ford again first. They did a follow up call with me last week about it so my case number is still open. Plan to keep at it because right now I feel like that is the only way Ford will come up with a solution to this. I had seen to where ver 21098 (Cyan Labs) still can have this issue to.

FWIW, I'm still good on the 21020 update. I mentioned the issue to the service manager last Friday when I was in for the rearview camera reprogramming and he had not heard of the problem before.

Peter

FWIW, I'm still good on the 21020 update. I mentioned the issue to the service manager last Friday when I was in for the rearview camera reprogramming and he had not heard of the problem before.

Peter

I see you are in Canada. I don't believe Travel Link is the same there as it is in the US. For instance it doesn't do traffic and overlay it on the maps. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Honestly, I never use Travel Link mainly because I don't travel very much and there isn't much of what I would call traffic around the area. I only began looking at it because of the reported issues here. All my features show Subscribed and are operational. When I click on 'Traffic', it shows a list of roads/highways that have construction etc going on. I believe there is an option to show Nearby and further away areas.

Peter

Honestly, I never use Travel Link mainly because I don't travel very much and there isn't much of what I would call traffic around the area. I only began looking at it because of the reported issues here. All my features show Subscribed and are operational. When I click on 'Traffic', it shows a list of roads/highways that have construction etc going on. I believe there is an option to show Nearby and further away areas.

Peter
Ah, then it works!! Nice.

It would be interesting to see if there are any codes since you rolled it back. I've left mine on 21020 since it updated to it again because I turned the WIFI back on. If they don't get any where with it next week I might roll it back again. I would contact Ford again first. They did a follow up call with me last week about it so my case number is still open. Plan to keep at it because right now I feel like that is the only way Ford will come up with a solution to this. I had seen to where ver 21098 (Cyan Labs) still can have this issue to.
I stopped by yesterday at my dealership and to no surprise they have not received any new direction from Ford. Since the roll back is working fine I have not done my usual 2 calls per day to force things. I did ask if they saw any error codes since the roll back and he said he no longer can connect to the Explorer to see. Probably because I disabled WIFI.

I stopped by yesterday at my dealership and to no surprise they have not received any new direction from Ford. Since the roll back is working fine I have not done my usual 2 calls per day to force things. I did ask if they saw any error codes since the roll back and he said he no longer can connect to the Explorer to see. Probably because I disabled WIFI.
To be honest I'm expecting the same results when I take mine in next week. But if doesn't get resolved it gives me a reason to contact Ford again and run it up the flag pole so to speak. Having your WIFI off sounds logical for the reason that your Explorer isn't communicating with them right now.

To be honest I'm expecting the same results when I take mine in next week. But if doesn't get resolved it gives me a reason to contact Ford again and run it up the flag pole so to speak. Having your WIFI off sounds logical for the reason that your Explorer isn't communicating with them right now.
I picked up my new 2021 Explorer ST on May 21. Everything worked fine until my vehicle downloaded this update.
I've been on the phone with Sirius for hours, been to the Ford dealer and I was the first person to bring this problem to their attention.
I've read through this entire thread. This thread started May 1st now it's two months and 296 posts later.
This is a disgrace. WE know the problem is caused by the Ford "update". But Ford is no help.

I picked up my new 2021 Explorer ST on May 21. Everything worked fine until my vehicle downloaded this update.
I've been on the phone with Sirius for hours, been to the Ford dealer and I was the first person to bring this problem to their attention.
I've read through this entire thread. This thread started May 1st now it's two months and 296 posts later.
This is a disgrace. WE know the problem is caused by the Ford "update". But Ford is no help.
Since the issue is with the update, it won't help calling Sirius/XM as there isn't any issue at their end.

Peter

Have a thumb drive and ~20 minutes? If so, shoot me a PM and I'll get you the prior update to roll it back until it's fixed. Way less of a headache.

There is a new OTA update out this morning. Just started downloading so I have no idea yet what it is.

20210703_110323.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back