• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.0 engine problem

coolbreeze65

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer sport trac
was hoping some one could have some insight on a 04 explorer trac, 2wd with 220k miles, will not run, turns over but nothing, with a blast of starting fluid it wants to fire with a misfire but turns over easy, just bought it and guy said he was driving freeway running normal and just died and said dash lights all went crazy, he is older and has maintained it well and original owner, oil looks new on dipstick. i have a 04 trac 4 wd i bought new in 04 with only 60k miles and never had engine issues so clueless. thanks,,,Will

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. First thing I would do is pull the spark plugs & perform a compression test. It is possible one of the timing chain tensioners let go. Does it spin over very easy like it has no compression?.

Welcome to the forum. First thing I would do is pull the spark plugs & perform a compression test. It is possible one of the timing chain tensioners let go. Does it spin over very easy like it has no compression?.
hi and thanks, it turns over like it has compression and with no knock or binding sounds and with the starting fluid it wants to and does a little backfire and you can smell fuel so its getting gas and was thinking timing skipped but just not sure and need to order a compression tester.

Did he describe what happened when the dash lights went crazy? Can you pull the codes?

Did he describe what happened when the dash lights went crazy? Can you pull the codes?
he said all warning lights came on then died, and it has been sitting with dead battery, i just got a new battery and going to try and check some things like plugs, drain oil pan and look for metal or plastic, and when i got it i did not even think about codes saved, just was trying to see if i could get it to start. then i moved so just put it on car hauler.

was hoping some one could have some insight on a 04 explorer trac, 2wd with 220k miles, will not run, turns over but nothing, with a blast of starting fluid it wants to fire with a misfire but turns over easy, just bought it and guy said he was driving freeway running normal and just died and said dash lights all went crazy, he is older and has maintained it well and original owner, oil looks new on dipstick. i have a 04 trac 4 wd i bought new in 04 with only 60k miles and never had engine issues so clueless. thanks,,,Will
Check the fuel cut off switch under passenger side dash

It is possible that the alternator failed and as the battery drained, this caused all the dash lights.

I'd have the alternator tested before going to the trouble of pulling the oil pan, or even the plugs since plugs tend to progressively get worse, not all of a sudden become a show stopper.

Also check the fuel pressure, and pull codes with scan tool which surely someone has mentioned already.

It is possible that the alternator failed and as the battery drained, this caused all the dash lights.

I'd have the alternator tested before going to the trouble of pulling the oil pan, or even the plugs since plugs tend to progressively get worse, not all of a sudden become a show stopper.

Also check the fuel pressure, and pull codes with scan tool which surely someone has mentioned already.
i did make sure it was getting fuel and battery was new and it was daylight he said when it died doing 70 on freeway and like a idiot i did not try and pull codes before i took battery out to charge and store then moved so it should of cleared codes by now, was trying every thing i could to get it to start and have a scanner but again a idiot for not trying that.

Some codes are not reset with a battery disconnect, and some codes may reappear attempting to start it.

Back