Sync 21098 OTA Available | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 21098 OTA Available

I’m also wondering if perhaps the push to get Sync 4 out the door for the Mach-e and so on is taking resources away from the older team (Sync 3). Perhaps they need more folks to support all their systems.

Ken
This 100%. Sync 3 is legacy. The software code is written by Elektrobit with direction from Ford. Sync 4 is Ford which is in the 21 F150 and soon to be many 22 models. So there is no doubt that the Sync 3 is not priority.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This 100%. Sync 3 is legacy. The software code is written by Elektrobit with direction from Ford. Sync 4 is Ford which is in the 21 F150 and soon to be many 22 models. So there is no doubt that the Sync 3 is not priority.
There you go!

I hardly ever use travel link via the screen interface but my problem is the fact that the maps didn’t get the updates they needed to avoid 4 major traffic problems on I75 during my trip from central Florida to Ky. Back when it worked it saved me many hours stuck in traffic, this trip it added several hours.

I hardly ever use travel link via the screen interface but my problem is the fact that the maps didn’t get the updates they needed to avoid 4 major traffic problems on I75 during my trip from central Florida to Ky. Back when it worked it saved me many hours stuck in traffic, this trip it added several hours.
I use Android Auto / Google Maps now because of the TL issue. Can't trust the native Telenav map without the traffic interface working.

Being a software developer myself, I can understand the "end of summer" response. They could have scheduled updates planned, and some bugs are harder to find than others. Granted, if it worked in version x, and they broke it in version y, they can easily do a diff on the changes, and hopefully make a change back, but, sometimes it isn't that easy. Either that or they have no clue how to make it work now, or they have everyone on Sync 4, and Sync 3 gets tid bits of time.
I myself just use my smart phone for maps anyway, since it shows a lot better details and changes in roads are updated more often since google maps is updated at google continuously, and the Sync is at best months behind, and believe me, roads change within months. Changes in roads around the McGhee Tyson airport, the map on the explorer would have taken me into a field for a mile or two, and stayed that way even after the last two updates, but google maps was up to date in short order. And I really don't like the android link mapping, leaves a LOT of info out, can't search by half the stuff you can find directly on the phone maps.
All of the above, just my opinion, and opinions vary, we all have them

Tried OTA for 21098 but as usual its not working, the Battery Saver mode kicks in before download is completed, that turns off SYNC3 system so it fails.

USB install worked, so far Travel Link and Traffic Plus working OK.

Tried OTA for 21098 but as usual its not working, the Battery Saver mode kicks in before download is completed, that turns off SYNC3 system so it fails.

Sounds like you have a low battery situation.

Peter

I have had the same issues with OTA, it takes way too long to download OTA and the system shuts down after 30 minutes or so. Not a low battery issue either. I end up using USB updates. Ford's OTA system really is not up to par with the rest of the world.

I have had the same issues with OTA, it takes way too long to download OTA and the system shuts down after 30 minutes or so. Not a low battery issue either. I end up using USB updates. Ford's OTA system really is not up to par with the rest of the world.
OTA updates don't require the vehicle to be running or even on to download. As long as you have connected to a wifi network and are in range, the updates will download and install when the vehicle is off.

I had no issues with OTA updates except the length it took to update the 2.20 maps after 21020. The 21098 update was completed overnight.
I can't see these updates being a drain on the battery.

Peter

I had no issues with OTA updates except the length it took to update the 2.20 maps after 21020. The 21098 update was completed overnight.

Peter
Same. 21020 took quite a while. 21098 was pretty quick. But in both cases, TL is still broken.

Same. 21020 took quite a while. 21098 was pretty quick. But in both cases, TL is still broken.

Expected on both accounts. 20198 was a small update, whereas 21020 was more a wholesale update of everything on the system. The next one, which should also fix the TL problem, will be a little larger as it'll also have updated voice data.

Expected on both accounts. 20198 was a small update, whereas 21020 was more a wholesale update of everything on the system. The next one, which should also fix the TL problem, will be a little larger as it'll also have updated voice data.
Any word on when that update might be released?

OTA updates don't require the vehicle to be running or even on to download. As long as you have connected to a wifi network and are in range, the updates will download and install when the vehicle is off.
In theory that is the way it should work. For me, it always shuts off the download when the timer shuts off the main power. When I come back and turn on power to the vehicle it is still not completed and restarts where it left off. Does no one else have any issues with the OTA using a home wifi network?

Do you know if these updates put a drain on a battery so as to cause the Battery Saver to cut in and stop the download?

Peter

In theory that is the way it should work. For me, it always shuts off the download when the timer shuts off the main power. When I come back and turn on power to the vehicle it is still not completed and restarts where it left off. Does no one else have any issues with the OTA using a home wifi network?
The only "timer" I'm aware of is the 10 minute Battery Saver Program. However, if the battery gets below a certain threshold the system could shut down. As mentioned, 21098 was a small file and should not have caused an issue. On the other hand, I did experience partial downloads with the OTA map updates but never saw and warnings about the battery. As you mentioned, they started again after checking their status.

Peter

Any word on when that update might be released?

"When it's ready." Seriously though, not sure.

Do you know if these updates put a drain on a battery so as to cause the Battery Saver to cut in and stop the download?

Peter

Can't say I've heard of that problem. I know it stays awake for some amount of time to download, but I'm not up on the fine details for how long, etc.

So let me fully understand this, the vehicle is off, no ignition power from running, no accessory power from accessory mode, the APIM and ACM have no power but the OTA updates still function with data being pushed from the WiFi source in your home or business?

Please explain how WiFi modems work without power thats a new one for me and I like to learn new things.

So let me fully understand this, the vehicle is off, no ignition power from running, no accessory power from accessory mode, the APIM and ACM have no power but the OTA updates still function with data being pushed from the WiFi source in your home or business?

Please explain how WiFi modems work without power thats a new one for me and I like to learn new things.
That is how my downloads worked. Parked in the garage with everything off.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same with my 2020 Limited .. Parked in the garage with everything off

Back