Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Sorry guys but I'm confused a bit
Can anyone tell me the energy suspension part numbers for my
Front and rear leaf spring eyelets
And the shackle to frame bushings

I'm having trouble with this one 99 xlt 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you get stuck and need the part number for the frame bushing, fords number is F57Z 5A546 AA. otherwise if you ask them for just the frame bushing, they might tell you it is only available if you buy the frame. (and yes, that has happend to a few people)

Lol do they have spare Explorer frames hanging around?

Energy Suspension doesn't seem to have any listed for your year Explorer. They are actually Prothane bushings. I have a set of the frame to shackle bushings that I didn't use, but they are listed as 1991-1994 only. I know the eyes are smaller on one side of the 1999 springs, but that's all I got.

It seems that this kit comes with everything except the front eye bushings are wrong
Energy Suspension 4.2124R

And I believe this is the front eye
Energy Suspension 3.2125R

Now I'm not sure but this is what I found in the sticky leaf spring bushing sizing and suppliers
I just want to confirm before I buy them

Yes, the 4.2124 is correct except for the front which needs the 3.2125 kit. The front also needs the existing spring eye bushing sleeve (outer shell) reused, left in the spring eye.

I didn't include the "R" at the end because supposedly the black carbon coloring in the (4.2124G) black version instead of red, will reduce squeaking.

You might want to check ebay for the ES or Prothane version (might be part # 6-1019), they were much cheaper when I bought them there. They were old stock but urethane doesn't age as much as rubber does. Edit: I just checked and didn't see any on ebay deeply discounted like I did back when I got mine.

Getting into specifics, the 4.2124 was meant for a 91-94 model year, which shares the same rear bushings but the front bushings for '91-'94 are RB-159 with OD 1-5/8" and ID 9/16", while the 95-01 Explorers use RB-237 front bushing which is 1-7/8" OD and 14mm ID. These RB- part numbers are for Dayton, a popular aftermarket rubber version. AFAIK (you might want to research before trusting this), the OEM part #s are F57Z5781AA or F57A5781AA

If you are only doing the spring bushings, then you don't necessarily need the entire 4.2124 kit, can just get a pair (or is there 2 in each part#? If not then 4 of them) of ES 2086 for the rear, but it might not be much if any cheaper depending on the kit price, and I don't recall if 2086 includes sleeves. The ES 4.2124 kit includes:

6 x metal sleeves - all the same

2 x 2089 Upper Shackle - Frame bushings

2 x 2090 Upper Shackle - Frame bushing, thrust washers

4 x 2061 Rear spring, front eye bushings (the ones that don't fit so need replaced with those in ES 3.2125)

4 x 2086 Rear spring, rear eye bushings

1-2X Tiny Silicone Grease Packets

Yes, the 4.2124 is correct except for the front which needs the 3.2125 kit. The front also needs the existing spring eye bushing sleeve (shell) reused.

I didn't include the "R" at the end because supposedly the black carbon coloring in the black version instead of red, will reduce squeaking.

You might want to check ebay for the ES or Prothane version (might be part # 6-1019), they were much cheaper when I bought them there. They were old stock but urethane doesn't age as much as rubber does. Edit: I just checked and didn't see any on ebay deeply discounted like I did back when I got mine.

Getting into specifics, the 4.2124 was meant for a 91-94 model year, which shares the same rear bushings but the front bushings for '91-'94 are RB-159 with OD 1-5/8" and ID 9/16", while the 95-01 Explorers use RB-237 front bushing which is 1-7/8" OD and 14mm ID.

If you are only doing the spring bushings, then you don't necessarily need the entire 4.2124 kit, can just get a pair of ES 2086 for the rear, but it might not be much if any cheaper depending on the kit price, and I don't recall if 2086 includes sleeves. The ES 4.2124 kit includes:

6 x metal sleeves - all the same

2 x 2089 Upper Shackle - Frame bushings

2 x 2090 Upper Shackle - Frame bushing, thrust washers

4 x 2061 Rear spring, front eye bushings

4 x 2086 Rear spring, rear eye bushings
Thank you

I'm gonna replace all 6

I received my bushing set today
I spent about 7 hours With my son taking breaks its super hot
I simply used a torch to heat the metal around the rubber and inside pin sleeve
Once it started to sizzle I pushed everything out
The rear eyes on the springs requires removing the outer shell
I just cut slowly then used a chisel to bend and it came out easily
Did not notice much difference bit it is definitely a bit stiffer on the back

Thank you

I'm gonna replace all 6
FWIW, the BEST leaf spring bushings I ever saw were on an old Ford truck- don't remember age or model. They were bronze, with a Zerk fitting in the center. After fighting extreme wheel hop with my '55 Merc with a 430 cu. in. Lincoln, I made custom bronze bushings: helped a lot! Evidently, raw power deforms rubber bushings in addition to wrapping up springs.

Back