• Register Today It's free!

2009 - Sync Question

wolfdog

Reaction score
City, State
republic michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 eddy bauer
I have a 09 explorer with the sync system. do i need a smart phone to get sync to work ? i get as far as getting a 7 digit number to enter into my phone but i can't do it on my flip phone and don't want a new phone. i was also told if i plug my phone into the usb port it might work that way.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean by "get sync to work"? I am not familiar with all the (including lack of) features for '09 Sync, but the system should do everything it is capable of without a phone connected, besides allowing for hands-free phone calls or things that require cellular data which is nothing related to the operation of the vehicle functions.

Backing up a bit, why can't you do it on your flip phone? If it has bluetooth, and the capability of pairing with another device, it may be able to provide all the functionality that your sync system is capable of. A smart phone cannot control the sync system, just use it as a peripheral like you would a wireless headset/mic, or dialer with the phone as the client to make calls. I could be wrong, not having '09 era sync but I doubt they had more features back then that they removed later.

Is it that you just prefer a flip phone or is it very old? If it is very old, you may lose network connectivity on it soon because many carriers are phasing out not only 3G but also 4G models that don't have LTE. If that is the case, it's not a choice of whether you want to keep using your old phone because it will stop working and may have already lost a significant # of towers it can connect to, so areas where you get a usable signal become fewer and fewer.

I have a 09 explorer with the sync system. do i need a smart phone to get sync to work ? i get as far as getting a 7 digit number to enter into my phone but i can't do it on my flip phone and don't want a new phone. i was also told if i plug my phone into the usb port it might work that way.

thanks
Do you have the navigation unit?

The reason I asked is I have the navigation unit and would be able to answer questions about it. I don't know much about the other units. What do you want to use the connection for? To make/receive calls, play music etc.? It would also help to know the make and model number of the phone you use. The link below might help you. It is for 2008 cars but should also cover your 2009 since the Sync systems are very likely the same between these two years.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/08sycsy2e.pdf

The reason I asked is I have the navigation unit and would be able to answer questions about it. I don't know much about the other units. What do you want to use the connection for? To make/receive calls, play music etc.? It would also help to know the make and model number of the phone you use. The link below might help you. It is for 2008 cars but should also cover your 2009 since the Sync systems are very likely the same between these two years.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/08sycsy2e.pdf
just wanted bluetooth for the phone. i have a flip phone have no use for a smart phone. i get to the part that gives a 7 digit number to be entered into my phone but i can't with my current phone. my wife has a 16 fiesta and no issues hooking up both of our phones in that vehicle. maybe i will go to my local dealership and see if they can do it.

Sounds like a plan.

Back