Say Hello to EcoHell.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Say Hello to EcoHell..

UPDATE: I had a slight vibration coming from the pax front wheel while turning left under acceleration. Given my modifications, I did not want to put her back to stock to bring her back to the dealership. Keep in mind I just flipped 10k. So I am thinking it cannot be anything major.. The OEM axle is $168.xx. So I was thinking it had to be the axle. After removing the axle, there was no wear or tear inside or outside of the original axle..so it did not look like it was the axle that was causing the vibration. Soooo, for those of you thinking of installing the Pedal Commander or another product like it..be warned.. apparently it activates the ABS system causing a vibration when making a left turn. It is not a major vibration, but I could feel it in my seat and right leg. Two techs couldn't feel what I was talking about, but one tech did..it is that light of a vibration. So I have a brand new OEM pax axle installed and a 10k axle for a spare. We found this out during the test drive after the install of the new axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE: I had a slight vibration coming from the pax front wheel while turning left under acceleration. Given my modifications, I did not want to put her back to stock to bring her back to the dealership. Keep in mind I just flipped 10k. So I am thinking it cannot be anything major.. The OEM axle is $168.xx. So I was thinking it had to be the axle. After removing the axle, there was no wear or tear inside or outside of the original axle..so it did not look like it was the axle that was causing the vibration. Soooo, for those of you thinking of installing the Pedal Commander or another product like it..be warned.. apparently it activates the ABS system causing a vibration when making a left turn. It is not a major vibration, but I could feel it in my seat and right leg. Two techs couldn't feel what I was talking about, but one tech did..it is that light of a vibration. So I have a brand new OEM pax axle installed and a 10k axle for a spare. We found this out during the test drive after the install of the new axle.
WOW! I was wondering what that SLIGHT vibration was! I have the pedal commander. I never thought it could be that. I will turn it off, just to verify.

Please respond back and advise if that cures your issue. Of course it will not fully eliminate the issue, as it apparently is supposed to happen if taken the turn(s) at a greater speed than the X likes too. But given what it was with the PC on, it is a night and day difference.

Love the build! Any new updates or pictures?

Unfortunately, I have not been playing with EcoHell, except for driving her to Florida. and back. My father was hospitalized due to a fungus sinus infection which almost stopped his kidneys from functioning. So after two months of being in Florida (Feb/Mar), I have returned to take care of some "bucket list" issues. I plan on installing one more mod soon... just need to take care of some personal issues first. Hopefully everyone had a great Easter.

I can say that I went to the 2019 Auto Show in NYC. I loved the new Explorer ST. EcoHell maybe traded in very soon. Let's just say the ST looks better in person than the pictures..

Hey Bill! I'd love to have some updates on EcoHell! I got one just like yours but with some Niche Gamma in bronze but they will have to wait in March since we have a law here for winter tires.

Hey Bill! I'd love to have some updates on EcoHell! I got one just like yours but with some Niche Gamma in bronze but they will have to wait in March since we have a law here for winter tires.
Sorry Vince.. I have been busy, like I am quite sure we all have with Covid19, dealing with the changes in our usual freedoms. I have traveled back and forth to Florida three times since my last post. I was in Florida since January 2021 transferring some equipment in my Florida home and had to return in March as my Aunt passed away (in NY) and drove back. Any hoot, EcoHell gave me a very wonderful Check Engine light on the drive back to NY..stopped at an Advance Auto and diagnosed the code. It was the rear O2 sensor..did not really do anything to the car performance or operational wise, it was the computer not able to read the rear O2 sensor properly.

Took EcoHell to (another) performance shop, replaced both O2 sensors and oil change (of course) and just the other day, I replaced all of my wipers and replaced the in-cabin air filter. Very interesting and very easy job btw. I would highly suggest everyone change their filters annually OR purchase the K&N In-Cabin filter where you can wash it and reuse it. It is a very high quality filter.

fMhtUOW.jpg

Sorry for the large photo (at least from my monitor), but wanted every one to see this is from 2018..and this was AFTER I banged it against the trashcan..I was shocked..and I am not one to use the Climate control that often.

I will be taking EcoHell into the dealership soon to take care of the Recall with the roof rails, as my driver's side rail is loose in the rear. I also have new OEM cross bars to be installed after the Recall fix. Then purchasing a cargo box, painted the same color as EcoHell of course.

I hope everyone is ok healthwise.

I posted this in other forums.. so want to make sure if anyone is going through this they can have someone else's perspective on what they are going through. Most searches have additional lights/codes appear with the Terrain Management System (TMS) fault (wrench light). I only have the TMS light. Turns out it could just be a low voltage issue.. fingers crossed.

Where to begin.. EcoHell has 45494 miles on her. I drove from NY to FL and arrived on Monday (7/12/21) with no issues. I get back in EcoHell on Tuesday around 3pm and the wrench light pops up and when stepping on the gas it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, until around 2000 rpms and it ran fine. I immediately made a u-turn and returned back to the house. Used my scanner and didn't have any "terrain management system fault" codes. Had an O2 sensor code which I always had, just not enough to set off the Check Engine light (has nothing to do with this particular story, but just mentioning it). When I turn off the engine and open the door, the wrench light will not return unless you start the engine, go forward or reverse and actually press on the gas pedal.

Wednesday - I called the nearest Ford Dealership to setup an appointment. They were very accommodating, since I was visiting from NY. I called AAA to discuss having EcoHell flatbedded to the dealership. Everything is planned for Thursday. Since EcoHell is going in for service, I disconnect and clean her out.. I disconnected my ICOM radio (ham radio) and internet node (using the inverter with the 110 plug in). I have a dash cam (front and rear) as well. I then start EcoHell. I back out of the carport and when I press on the gas pedal no wrench light. I back up further pressing the gas and still no light. I stop, go forward pressing on the gas pedal and still no wrench light. I then take a small trip around the neighborhood to see how EcoHell is performing. Keep in mind the speed limit is 20mph so the fastest I could go was around 40mph (which was for testing purposes). EcoHell is running like she did before..all is fine. I read other forums that the battery could be the issue.

I wanted to conduct more searches and speak to my mechanic in New York about it. On Tuesday (7/19/21), I purchased a new battery, installed it and tested it immediately. I attempt to back her out of the driveway and the wrench light came on again. However, after a day of having the battery installed, I start her up again, back out of the driveway and no wrench light. After driving her further and no wrench light, I drove to a couple of stores and then drove to a shop where my father has taken his cars too. They will see if the light comes back on. Plus I am getting an oil change.

I am posting this because I never had the wrench light come on. What are your experiences with the Terrain Management System Fault - wrench light?

Bill

I posted this in other forums.. so want to make sure if anyone is going through this they can have someone else's perspective on what they are going through. Most searches have additional lights/codes appear with the Terrain Management System (TMS) fault (wrench light). I only have the TMS light. Turns out it could just be a low voltage issue.. fingers crossed.

Where to begin.. EcoHell has 45494 miles on her. I drove from NY to FL and arrived on Monday (7/12/21) with no issues. I get back in EcoHell on Tuesday around 3pm and the wrench light pops up and when stepping on the gas it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, until around 2000 rpms and it ran fine. I immediately made a u-turn and returned back to the house. Used my scanner and didn't have any "terrain management system fault" codes. Had an O2 sensor code which I always had, just not enough to set off the Check Engine light (has nothing to do with this particular story, but just mentioning it). When I turn off the engine and open the door, the wrench light will not return unless you start the engine, go forward or reverse and actually press on the gas pedal.

Wednesday - I called the nearest Ford Dealership to setup an appointment. They were very accommodating, since I was visiting from NY. I called AAA to discuss having EcoHell flatbedded to the dealership. Everything is planned for Thursday. Since EcoHell is going in for service, I disconnect and clean her out.. I disconnected my ICOM radio (ham radio) and internet node (using the inverter with the 110 plug in). I have a dash cam (front and rear) as well. I then start EcoHell. I back out of the carport and when I press on the gas pedal no wrench light. I back up further pressing the gas and still no light. I stop, go forward pressing on the gas pedal and still no wrench light. I then take a small trip around the neighborhood to see how EcoHell is performing. Keep in mind the speed limit is 20mph so the fastest I could go was around 40mph (which was for testing purposes). EcoHell is running like she did before..all is fine. I read other forums that the battery could be the issue.

I wanted to conduct more searches and speak to my mechanic in New York about it. On Tuesday (7/19/21), I purchased a new battery, installed it and tested it immediately. I attempt to back her out of the driveway and the wrench light came on again. However, after a day of having the battery installed, I start her up again, back out of the driveway and no wrench light. After driving her further and no wrench light, I drove to a couple of stores and then drove to a shop where my father has taken his cars too. They will see if the light comes back on. Plus I am getting an oil change.

I am posting this because I never had the wrench light come on. What are your experiences with the Terrain Management System Fault - wrench light?

Bill
Mine did this and a new battery solved the problem, no more wrench light.

Mine did this and a new battery solved the problem, no more wrench light.
Question - do you have any electronics installed in your vehicle, such as a dash cam, phone charger through USB or anything plugged into your 110v plug in (behind the center console)?

I am wondering if my alternator is shot, because the wrench light came back on after a couple of hours from picking the car up from the shop. However, I do have electronics plugged into my vehicle. I am returning EcoHell to the shop later today since the light is on and see if they can come up with additional solutions.

I had an underperforming battery in my 2013 Sport that was not providing proper voltage. The battery was not even that old however I would always get the battery warning on the Sync system and sometimes right after starting the car, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree including terrain management faults etc. I scan with ForScan and no codes. Long story short, I bought a high-end battery and fixed everything.

I had an underperforming battery in my 2013 Sport that was not providing proper voltage. The battery was not even that old however I would always get the battery warning on the Sync system and sometimes right after starting the car, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree including terrain management faults etc. I scan with ForScan and no codes. Long story short, I bought a high-end battery and fixed everything.
Thanks for responding.. may I ask, which battery you went with? and do you have any other electronics installed in your vehicle (CB/Ham Radios, Dash cam(s), phone charger or USB cable, anything in the cigarette lighter plug)?

Thanks for responding.. may I ask, which battery you went with? and do you have any other electronics installed in your vehicle (CB/Ham Radios, Dash cam(s), phone charger or USB cable, anything in the cigarette lighter plug)?

I got the Duralast DL-65 with 750 CCA. I think my old battery was 650 CCA. Don't forget to clean and grease the terminals. I'm not saying this will fix your issue but the low voltage is a problem in these cars. I have front and rear cameras plugged into the always on 12v DC ports. They don't always draw power and only turn on when sensors are triggered. (70mai mini dash cam)

Do you ever see the battery management on the Sync screen? Shift to park light staying on?

You can monitor the voltage PIDs using torque app

Don't forget that there is a procedure in the Manual as well for what to do after installing a new battery. Reset BMS and let the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours.

Pete

Don't forget that there is a procedure in the Manual as well for what to do after installing a new battery. Reset BMS and let the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours.

Pete
I never knew this was there. The manual is not as clear cut as one would think. I found a YouTube video that worked as described. I did not see in my manual for the 8 hour undisturbed part, but after going through the motions, Ford says to drive for 12 miles for the computer to relearn the fuel management. What made the battery light flash showing battery reset, was putting the vehicle in ACC mode, flash the Bright lights 5 times, followed by stepping on the brake pedal 3 times. If done correctly, you should see the battery light flash 3 times and then the check engine light flashing (did not count the flashing, but if I recall it was about 5 times).

Ford states, start the engine, reset the window one step procedure, reset the clock, then clear the memory in the radio... WTF?

When you go to the pages they reference, two out of the three, I could not find.. they only bring you to the section, not so much the actual page of what they are requesting, then finishing it up with a 12 mile drive as mentioned above..

Anyhoot, hopes this helps someone..

I got the Duralast DL-65 with 750 CCA. I think my old battery was 650 CCA. Don't forget to clean and grease the terminals. I'm not saying this will fix your issue but the low voltage is a problem in these cars. I have front and rear cameras plugged into the always on 12v DC ports. They don't always draw power and only turn on when sensors are triggered. (70mai mini dash cam)

Do you ever see the battery management on the Sync screen? Shift to park light staying on?

You can monitor the voltage PIDs using torque app
Ok. I have to see where the stereo shop powered my dash cams. I turned them off for now. I have never seen the battery management on the Sync Screen (are you talking about the center dash screen or the gauge cluster)? Nothing is out of whack, except for the Wrench Light and the Terrain Management System Fault message on the left side of the gauge cluster. Terminals were cleaned.

I will look into the torque app you mention. Thanks.

.............................................. I did not see in my manual for the 8 hour undisturbed part, ,..............................................................
After checking the various manuals, it seems that part only applies to the 2011-15 models. Thanks for bringing that up.

Peter

Alright fellow Sport'ees, apparently the issue is fixed. It is clearly a voltage issue. After doing the battery reset, no more Wrench Light/Terrain Management System Fault. I am still going to purchase a higher output alternator, as I would like to have my radio equipment installed. I do not have any electrical accessories plugged in at the moment, except for the USB port for my phone.

I will add and repeat my earlier statement regarding Ford's BMS reset.. the owner's manual to conduct a battery reset is a little ridiculous. If you want a chuckle take a read on page 296 on the left side. If you need to ever reset your battery..read that page, then very quickly put the manual back in the case and throw it back in your glove box and forget about it. Use the following method:

1) hit the start button without stepping on the brake..
2) flash your bright lights 5 times consecutively then quickly;
3) press firmly on your brake pedal 3 times

After this you will see your Battery light flash (I believe is 3 times), then you will see the Check Engine light flash (I believe it is 5-6 times). Then you have to drive the vehicle 12 miles (or in my case, let the vehicle sit for 4 days)*.

*I doubt it has to be 4 days, I did not need my vehicle those days, that was the only reason why it sat for that long.

Lastly, I will say this.. after doing the search on multiple forums and talking to my shop, if you ONLY have the Wrench light/Terrain Management System fault message come on, it will more and likely be a voltage issue. Others had additional messages and lights come on, which unfortunately will be more than voltage issues.

Anyhoot, hope this helps someone in the future if they have this issue.

BTW.. I just purchased and received another mod going on EcoHell. Stay tuned..should be installed this week.

Posted this in a different forum..

For some reason, the rear pads fade quicker than the fronts..weird for a SUV, but that is Ford for you. Sooo, I pulled the trigger and purchased the PowerStop kit for the Sport. Bedded them in and no squealing..so all is good.

eD9kSiz.jpg

WdiE1ur.jpg

hXfy6z8.jpg

MwxMmaU.jpg

NtJ4lNp.jpg

I will provide updates accordingly.. anyone else have any issues with these brakes??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the brake upgrade, I did not want another low voltage issue, so I also pulled the trigger and purchased and had installed a Singer High Output Alternator to handle all of my electronic needs. I will provide updates if something goes wrong.. so no news is good news.

Anyone else install a High Output alternator in their Sport?

WV56bmJ.jpg

TcdmkPI.jpg

You get both pulleys and a keychain to boot...HA!

Back