Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Let's do the poll. I have an ST. My 1-2 and 2-3 shifts kind of lurch into gear for me, except when applying very light throttle. Tune helps but it's not gone. Seems less noticeable in sport mode and when manual shifting. Mine is a very early build (6/19). Already had the PCM (and other modules) updated to current calibration. It was actually worse when I got it but trans learning has helped. I still would not call it smooth and what I find in the other cars I own (Q5, Miata). Dealer says it's shifting normally. I read with interest other threads re: transmission and you do have people complaining about it in other STs. Some have legitimate problems that need fixing though so I can't separate what is bad tuning and what is a defective transmission. I don't feel mine is defective because in every other respect, it performs as it should. When others are saying their transmission is perfect, I don't know if their's are really better, their driving style is different, or they come from past Fords and it feels "normal" for them. My previous 2015 BMW X1 was lurchy in the low shifts also but was completely transformed with aftermarket transmission tuning.

So the issue is also with ST's.

If the dealer says the shifting is normal, and YOU know it isn't, that is part of the issue overall. If i worked for a dealer as a salesman, or even a service writer or technician, i couldn't do the customer like that knowing something is wrong yet i'll blatantly lie in their face and say the explorer is performing the way it should.

Honestly that is what i really thought the first 1000 miles or so with owning my XLT. The issue is, i didn't drive much, and i still don't as i have other cars. Only have 5300 miles or so and i had it a full 12 months now. I really thought the trans had to learn, but usually learning takes maybe 100 miles at most, not thousands and thousands of miles. Once the new car feeling went away, which was like 3-4 months later, is when the quirks started to really annoy me.

Fast foward to today, i am almost annoyed to drive this car whenever i think there might be traffic. Back then when i had a manual daily, i did the same thing. Plan my trip, where ever that is, and also plan my route that way my commute is the smoothest. Don't have to worry about traffic, or crazy hills etc.

I got this EX and i'm finding myself doing the same thing. Leaving work a bit earlier so i can beat the traffic, or taking a different route which prevents me from doing excessive city driving. It is really bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry to read about your situation.
This is one reason I lease my vehicles. If it turns out to be a "lemon". I'm not stuck with it for longer than the lease term. So far I've not had issues with any of my leases. An ESP with 1st-day rental is a good idea especially with all the tranny issues some members are having. With an ESP you can also be reimbursed for rental costs. Ford has never provided rentals but may on some occasions approve one. Here is an excerpt from the Guide which applies to the factory warranty.
"Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."

Peter
You cannot sign away your rights. In fact, I think this clause is similar to those private parking “tickets” you get when you overstay your paid parking time. They send you a thing that looks like a real ticket but isn’t, they just prey on those who don’t know any better or upon whom integrity or conscience would make you pay.

Does anyone know if the reported issues with the 10 speed are similar to any issues with the previous six speed trans? Those are very close in design and parts, size etc. I think the ten speed is a redevelopment of the 6R six speed. So what could be the difference of them in operation?

Does anyone know if the reported issues with the 10 speed are similar to any issues with the previous six speed trans? Those are very close in design and parts, size etc. I think the ten speed is a redevelopment of the 6R six speed. So what could be the difference of them in operation?
I think it is mostly the tune.

The tune on the 2.3 (pretty much ANY 2.3 variant that is equipped with the 10 speed) are having issues. The mustang 2.3EB guys with the 10 speed are having the same issues if you go on their forum.

My Friend with a 2020 F150 XLT has the 10 speed, although not the 2.3L engine, works WAY better than my explorer. I still think it's the tune.

I don't think the 10 speed was meant for the 2.3L.

Thanks, it sounded like it's in the tune, the PCM software. I also wonder how the aftermarket Quick Shift controller handles both the 6R and 10R transmissions. I'm aiming to use that controller for a 6R behind a SBF, all of this late model trans feedback is helpful.

Thanks to everyone who has mentioned the lemon law - due to the vast difference in price between what I paid (32,800) and what it's worth (39-41k is what I see them listed as), it's not be the best deal. Since I'd have to spend $40k currently on a comparable car I can't afford that kind of loss.

After a week the Ford dealer finally went ahead and appraised my vehicle. They said they were a KBB ICO dealer for buying cars, which when I ran and it came to $30,500. They called me offering $27,000. I just laughed at the guy and told him to tell the service department to hurry. I told him Carmax offered me $35k, I don't know if he thought I was bluffing but he said "okay take it there then, good". I reminded him I can't because it's in his service garage waiting on a part.

I just don't get it, they're so greedy they don't make money. I'd have taken 35 just to be done with it, and they have no vehicles on their lot and a bunch of sales people standing around. They buy the car, sell it for 38-40, make more profit than they do off most new cars, and the sales person feeds his family for another day. So looks like I'm going to rent a car for a month until it's fixed, which luckily as a government employee will "only" cost me $550 for a corolla, but well worth it to private sell it for thousands more. The next headache will be finding a new vehicle the wife likes that isn't grossly overpriced.

I'm glad I got the 3.0 Ecoboost. It's shifting fine just has a touchy throttle pedal like it has a Pedal Commander installed.

The 4cyl isn't quiet though. It has a rental car sound. As quiet as the interior is during most commute speeds, the engine noise very well makes it through so that's pretty much all you hear. You can hear more engine noise than road/tire noise. If it was a V6 sound it wouldn't be bad. But let's face it, 4cyl's don't sound good at all.

The transmission is still very bad. And yes i agree on the quality for the price point. My brother just got a stinger. A KIA. Slightly cheaper than my EX at MSRP. His build quality and performance shuts down my EX by miles.
The rental car sound does not betray the rental car quality. The 2.3 isn't overly loud in my opinion. That isn't to say its smooth, refined, or pleasing to hear. However at times you can barely hear it over the transmission whining and clunking!

The rental car sound does not betray the rental car quality. The 2.3 isn't overly loud in my opinion. That isn't to say its smooth, refined, or pleasing to hear. However at times you can barely hear it over the transmission whining and clunking!

It's loud in the sense that since the cabin noise overall is fairly quiet, you WILL notice the engine over anything else. Next comes all the creaks and rattles the car will inevitably develop the longer you use it.

My trans doesn't make any noise while performing inadequately. The sorry performance itself is enough to get your attention levels up. While you shake your head in disappointment as you're making your way to your destination.

Update: Ford called the dealer, probably due to my lemon law inquiry, and got the part their faster than anticipated. So finally picked up the vehicle yesterday. The issue seems to be resolved (for now) after $5,500 worth of work that was done. I know that's the total because they asked how I wanted to pay and I just laughed, and reminded them it's a year old car with a shot transmission. The report from the tech said some bolts were sheered, so the pump they replaced originally had nothing to do with it. I don't have the report on me now but will update with details on it later.

My '20 ST with 13,000 miles (got it nearly a year ago) is clunking hard on a down shift right at 32mph. The up shifts are also funky with possibly a slipping feel. Appointment at the dealer set for 8/6/21. This issue just appeared a week ago.

My '20 ST with 13,000 miles (got it nearly a year ago) is clunking hard on a down shift right at 32mph. The up shifts are also funky with possibly a slipping feel. Appointment at the dealer set for 8/6/21. This issue just appeared a week ago.
Exactly what I just went through. They're most likely going to need to order parts that are on backorder - if they do demand that when they order whatever they think it is they include a clutch and other transmission parts as well so you don't get stuck waiting on one after they install a new tranmission pump etc.

I was trying to find out why my car is so herky jerky and I realized that pretty much anytime you touch the throttle, the trans immediately shifts either up or down. This means that it Is impossible to be smooth as it will not accelerate in whatever gear it’s in. Then if you ease off the throttle at all it immediately seeks another gear, another jerk.

I was trying to find out why my car is so herky jerky and I realized that pretty much anytime you touch the throttle, the trans immediately shifts either up or down. This means that it Is impossible to be smooth as it will not accelerate in whatever gear it’s in. Then if you ease off the throttle at all it immediately seeks another gear, another jerk.

That's how my XLT is. Moreso now as i know it's getting worse. I'm already in the process of transferring over the lease to my co-worker but i told him i need it for this winter, then he can have it. He said no problem lol. Boy will he be disappointed when he takes over the lease.

Not to mention the brake by wire. Any input in the brake pedal is never the same. You apply about 25%, sometimes you get 25%, sometimes you get 80%. And it's always in slow speeds. Like 30mph. So when you wanna brake from 30 because there's a red light, you're caught off guard because the car wants to apply 80% braking when you only applied about 25%. It sends you and whoever is riding with you towards the windshield. So damn embarrassing. This car is becoming a joke.

That's how my XLT is. Moreso now as i know it's getting worse. I'm already in the process of transferring over the lease to my co-worker but i told him i need it for this winter, then he can have it. He said no problem lol. Boy will he be disappointed when he takes over the lease.

Not to mention the brake by wire. Any input in the brake pedal is never the same. You apply about 25%, sometimes you get 25%, sometimes you get 80%. And it's always in slow speeds. Like 30mph. So when you wanna brake from 30 because there's a red light, you're caught off guard because the car wants to apply 80% braking when you only applied about 25%. It sends you and whoever is riding with you towards the windshield. So damn embarrassing. This car is becoming a joke.

So are your replies and nonsense, you have let your feelings be known. I doubt you will buy another Ford product so I would begin the process now of trolling the Tesla forums for know problems so you can jump on that band wagon.

So are your replies and nonsense, you have let your feelings be known. I doubt you will buy another Ford product so I would begin the process now of trolling the Tesla forums for know problems so you can jump on that band wagon.

lol why are you so obsessed with what i have to post?

And troll the tesla forums all you want. There were more tesla's sold in 2020 than ford explorers. So problems or not, the sales of teslas are erupting. Same with the explorer issues people are finding out lol

lol why are you so obsessed with what i have to post?

And troll the tesla forums all you want. There were more tesla's sold in 2020 than ford explorers. So problems or not, the sales of teslas are erupting. Same with the explorer issues people are finding out lol

They certainly are erupting, into a fire that would take about a whole station to put out. I hope you have good insurance, find a good Tesla, and don't melt yourself, which has been the case in quite a few of them.

Bought Tesla stock when it IPO'd, doesn't mean I want to own one though.

Good Luck.

Cool beans. I'll pray for you whenever you're trying to pull from an intersection. Better hope that trans is ready to go!!!

Or will it be, "READY TO GO"????

hahaha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool beans. I'll pray for you whenever you're trying to pull from an intersection. Better hope that trans is ready to go!!!

Or will it be, "READY TO GO"????

hahaha

We have a 21 XLT with Sport Appearance Pak and it has been perfect with the exception of a seat belt molex connector that had to be replaced. Have 13k miles on it now and performed excellent on recent 1k mile road trip. Don't have any of those issues you have had with yours fortunately.

I also laughed at your comments about the 2.3 liter sounding like a quiet sewing machine. Drive a Tesla and it sounds like a really fast golf cart.

Back