Why doesn't the fuel door lock on the 2021 Ford Explorer ST? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why doesn't the fuel door lock on the 2021 Ford Explorer ST?

The Jas17

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Hey guys, just had a important question,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to sound like a smart a__, but Ford just didn't build it that way. All I've got.

Not having a locking fuel door, and having an open fuel filler neck bugs me too. They did save money on each vehicle that doesn't use a lock though. :rolleyes:

Ford introduced the Easy Fuel capless system back in 2008 so your ST isn't the only one without a cap, Lockable caps were available in the Ford Accessory Store for some of the 5th earlier 5th gen Explorers, and likely earlier gens, but they no longer have them.

Peter

I think the only way you'll have a locking Ford gas door is with a hybrid. I haven't had locking doors on any of my capless vehicles since my 2008 Roush 428R. That includes my Rams. I wish I didn't have a locking gas door on my Powerboost F150.

I think you might be able to answer your question by trying to siphon the tank. It's more trouble than it's worth.

I believe this is the actual reason for the adaptation of capless, lockless systems...

I think you might be able to answer your question by trying to siphon the tank. It's more trouble than it's worth.

I am more worried about a hoodlum putting something in the tank just because that's what hoodlums do ;)

I am more worried about a hoodlum putting something in the tank just because that's what hoodlums do ;)
That, and drill holes in the tank to steal gas.

Not having a locking fuel door, and having an open fuel filler neck bugs me too. They did save money on each vehicle that doesn't use a lock though. :rolleyes:
Put one on it. I did on my explorer

There are easier ways for hoodlums to hoodlum...

Hoodlums usually live in the ghetto's.

You didn't live in the suburbs I did ;) Rich kids with entitlement syndrome can be just as much a hoodlum when it comes to vandalism.

Could you share the part number?
I doubt a gas cap for a 2010 would fit on a 2018. I've tried searching on the Internet for a locking cap for the later model 5th gens without any luck.

Peter

Thanks Dale. Good find. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the 6th gen for those wanting one.

Peter

Back