AGM (Absorbant Glass Mat) Battery Upgrade? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AGM (Absorbant Glass Mat) Battery Upgrade?

thefranchise713

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime
I'm seriously considering dropping in an AGM battery from EastPenn/Deka into the Explorer. I want to use my dashcam in parking mode more frequently without fear of the consequence of a deep discharge consequence.

What does everyone think?

Second, if I do go this route, is the charging strategy amenable to an AGM battery? The BCM is quite elaborate in it's strategy with the PCM for maintaining battery lifespan, but of course, the car came with a lead acid battery. Should a reconfiguration be made, and if so, what parameters should get changed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. I'm new in the forum and also have same question with original poster, but can't seem to find answers. Bumping up the question if there are answers from other members. Appreciate the help.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't have the answer for you but perhaps others do and will be able to help out. FYI, the 6th gen uses the AGM battery.

Pter

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't have the answer for you but perhaps others do and will be able to help out. FYI, the 6th gen uses the AGM battery.

Pter
Thank you very much

Its still a lead acid battery, they seem recommended in extreme colds. I have one in an older 1000cc v-twin sport bike that seems fairly hard for the starter to turn over, new batteries were lucky to last a year, they just don't make things the way they use... The AGM is definitely more durable. If you're in a mild climate and your starter isn't living a tough life I'm not sure it would be worth the cost.

I purchased a 2019 Explorer in April 2019. Traded in a rusty old 2006 F350 plow truck. Took a two year old Northstar AGM battery out if the 2006 F350 before getting rid if it and put the AGM battery in the 2019 Explorer (same battery size - group 65 i think). Works perfect in the Explorer - no issues at all.

Back