LED headlight bulbs error message | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlight bulbs error message

Thanks guys, I have been emailing the company back and forth. Im hoping they will send me the needed wire harness(s) needed to eliminate this error code. If not I'll find some on Amazon. Yes, I should have just purchased a more expensive LED that is error free bulbs. In the end it costs the same, just a pain to figure this out the hard way. No where on their description does it say you'll need the resistor harnesses, but I'll know for next time and hopefully everyone on here can benefit from my mix-up.
als bought the extra harness and still get the error messae on my 2010

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So just to clarify nobody has found a CANBUS pigtail harness for running LED headlights that prevents the dash error messages?

The headlights I have, Beamtech brand, from Amazon. They still give me a code error even after the company sent me a pigtail to eliminate the error. So I wouldn't recommend these if you are worried about getting the headlight error.
Honestly the error doesn't bother me, I hit a reset button and It goes away. The vision at night is worth it.

I just installed a set of headlight and foglight Beamtech LEDs. I got the error code that clears with a hit of the reset button. They are sending the pieces that will supposedly eliminate the error message. I am like you in that I will just hit the reset if they don't stop the error flash because the bulbs work amazingly well. Plus, you don't have to break the piggy bank to buy them. I just ordered a set of backup LED bulbs after seeing how well the front lamps work. The newer LEDs have been designed to mimic the halogen bulbs for light disbursement. Some bulbs need to be adjusted to insure the rotation of the LEDs are proper in the reflector housing. Mine went in as needed but some applications need to be tweaked. Next on my list is to start putting LEDs into the interior locations.

So just to clarify nobody has found a CANBUS pigtail harness for running LED headlights that prevents the dash error messages?

search for "error headlight h13" and there are tons of options
the ones i bought from ebay work great

Well these ones for $18 from a high rated seller do not work for the record.

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 7.56.19 AM.png

Not to be a buzz kill or anything - but would like to remind everyone that your light housing was designed for incandescent bulbs to throw the light in the proper pattern - not only to allow you to see but also to prevent blinding other drivers. LED bulbs require a different housing to achieve the same results.
I see a lot of these 'retrofits' while out driving at night.
They aren't pleasant to encounter.
Maybe Explorers work well - I don't know. I'm sure it's different for various makes and models. But please pay attention to your fellow drivers - have a friend meet you on the road for an honest evaluation.
If people keep flashing their brights at you then please - take the hint.
1000% agree with EddyB. Have encountered them at night and many are blinding on low beam no less. I am sure they help to see better. I have seen them adjusted perfect and cause no issues for other drivers. So please adjust them so not to blind other drivers.

can you check the resistance of those units vs a working H13 bulb
I checked a bulb and it was 1.6 ohm

1.4 ohm is what they checked out at... Shocked that .2 makes a difference... Can you send a picture of the ones you purchased. Seems there are only 3 different styles for sale on eBay.

1.4 ohm is what they checked out at... Shocked that .2 makes a difference... Can you send a picture of the ones you purchased. Seems there are only 3 different styles for sale on eBay.

the only variable that i can see is that you are trying to use led's and i use hid's

Just to follow up after trying multiple CANBUS load resistors to eliminate the dash error from eBay, the one from seller dt-autotech worked to eliminate the error on my LED headlights. Picture of this model is below. You definitely need a 6ohm resistor!

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.17.47 PM.png

I also read somewhere that LED bulbs don't draw enough voltage as the regular Halogen bulbs do. Meanwhile, I've seen a big outdoor LED screen advertising that LED bulb that can draw voltage more than halogen bulbs.

Just to follow up after trying multiple CANBUS load resistors to eliminate the dash error from eBay, the one from seller dt-autotech worked to eliminate the error on my LED headlights. Picture of this model is below. You definitely need a 6ohm resistor!

View attachment 178235
Just bought a set for my 2010 the ones I bought last time didn't work

Headlights controller (also turn indicator controller as well) can be turned off via as build file edit using forscan.cant remember the exact code chart but it is pretty similar to F150's.

Installing canbus resistors and adapters may be only temporary option..

I installed some Beamtech LED headlight bulbs from Amazon today in my 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. On my way to work I got a headlight left and headlight right error message on my information display.
Has anyone else had this message come up with LED bulb installation and if so, what did you do to correct it?
I keep reading the LED bulbs don't draw enough voltage as the regular Halogen bulbs do, so that sends an indication to the computer informing you might have a headlight out.
Any information you guys can provide would be great!
I got blue LED head lights in my 07 limited and I get the "error" message too. I just press the reset button on my dash and the error message resets.

I got blue LED head lights in my 07 limited and I get the "error" message too. I just press the reset button on my dash and the error message resets.
Pushing that button Everytime gets old after the thousands of times

Pushing that button Everytime gets old after the thousands of times
The canbus adapters worked well on my Mountaineer. Once every 1-2 months I get the head lamp error and hit the reset button.

If you search the (2nd gen?) forum you'll find a post where I reverse engineered the current sensing circuit for an Explorer. The circuit may have changed some since then but the topology is going to be the same, that the circuit measures a voltage drop across an integrated resistor to determine how much current is flowing, and that can be disabled or different resistor value used to increase the measured voltage drop across it, no external power wasting load resistor add-on needed.

If you search the (2nd gen?) forum you'll find a post where I reverse engineered the current sensing circuit for an Explorer. The circuit may have changed some since then but the topology is going to be the same, that the circuit measures a voltage drop across an integrated resistor to determine how much current is flowing, and that can be disabled or different resistor value used to increase the measured voltage drop across it, no external power wasting load resistor add-on needed.
J_C, if this is something I would need to do then you might as well tell me to perform brain surgery on someone. The results would be the same which is a non functioning electronic or biological computer. :eek:

^ In that topic, I recall I had a detailed picture of the circuit board and indicated two specific traces to cut, so somewhere in between brain surgery and eating steak. :) However instead of cutting the traces, the wiring harness connector pins corresponding to those two trace-connected contacts could be pulled out of the connector, or the wires cut, instead of swapping in different resistor values.

I should also mention, LED retrofit bulbs in the stock incan housings are illegal. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should also mention, LED retrofit bulbs in the stock incan housings are illegal. ;)
A lot of things are illegal. I would wager 99% of us break some law somewhere every day whether we know it or not. 😏

Back