2015 to 2016 Radio Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 to 2016 Radio Swap

KnightRider97

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer PI
Hi,

Does anyone know if the 2016 PIUs had Bluetooth capability without actually having the whole Sync system? Ran into a salvage 2016 PIU that has the same style radio as a civilian version with Bluetooth that I have been in. What I would hope to do is swap it out with the radio in my 2015 PIU that does already have the microphone in the headliner. Somehow I have a feeling it isn’t just that easy though...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 2016 PIUs had Bluetooth capability without actually having the whole Sync system? Ran into a salvage 2016 PIU that has the same style radio as a civilian version with Bluetooth that I have been in. What I would hope to do is swap it out with the radio in my 2015 PIU that does already have the microphone in the headliner. Somehow I have a feeling it isn’t just that easy though...

Thanks

11-15 have different electrical systems to 16-19. Sync however might be the same, if its the 4.1" screen.

SYNC has nothing to do with the radio (ACM) itself. They are separate hardware.

Wanted to post somewhere....just tore into my 2016 PIU with 4.2" screen. Basic sync. There was NOT rear door speakers however the wires are there. Per the Modifiers wiring diagram just 2 front door speakers. The radios wiring harness has been modified so that the 2 front door speakers are on the radios rear channels. Once I got speakers in the rear doors and hooked up I had Sync audio prompts which were not working before. I Also gained call volume when on Bluetooth through sync. None of this worked before hand. Planning on rewiring everything this weekend so I have proper balance and fade. 2015s and lower years were different . They had speakers just covered up.

Wanted to post somewhere....just tore into my 2016 PIU with 4.2" screen. Basic sync. There was NOT rear door speakers however the wires are there. Per the Modifiers wiring diagram just 2 front door speakers. The radios wiring harness has been modified so that the 2 front door speakers are on the radios rear channels. Once I got speakers in the rear doors and hooked up I had Sync audio prompts which were not working before. I Also gained call volume when on Bluetooth through sync. None of this worked before hand. Planning on rewiring everything this weekend so I have proper balance and fade. 2015s and lower years were different . They had speakers just covered up.
That’s interesting. My 17 had rear speakers. They were blown, but they were there.

That is a custom installation done post factory.

My 2018 has rear door speakers covered up as well.

Back