• Register Today It's free!

New PIU

brick8

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU 3.7
Purchased a 2016 PIU yesterday. 112,363 miles, 5,935 idle hours and 9,232 engine hours. Needs a few things, looking for recommendations.
  1. The tires on it are snow tires that are pretty much shot. Will need to be replaced soon. Does it make sense to get a set of 20" wheels with tires or stick with the 18s? If so, what are the best tires? It gets pretty cold here in winter, so I was thinking of keeping the 18s for snow tires and buying another set of wheels with all season tires for use in the summer.
  2. The glove box hinge is broken, so that when it is opened it pretty much falls down. Has anyone figured out a way to fix the wimpy plastic hinge?
  3. There is no center console, just a steel plate. Looking for after market console recommendations.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When I had my previous Explorers I bought the 18" Interceptor steel wheels to mount my winter tires on and made sure that the tires were comparable in size to the OEM 20" tires. I think it is a good idea to have the 2 sets unless you go with the newer All-Weather tires which can be used year-round. If you go with 20" wheels, you should try and keep the maximum diameter variance at no more than 3% of OEM.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When I had my previous Explorers I bought the 18" Interceptor steel wheels to mount my winter tires on and made sure that the tires were comparable in size to the OEM 20" tires. I think it is a good idea to have the 2 sets unless you go with the newer All-Weather tires which can be used year-round. If you go with 20" wheels, you should try and keep the maximum diameter variance at no more than 3% of OEM.

Peter
I found a nearly new set of Eagle Enforcer tires from a 2020 interceptor locally. They are 255/60r18. Do you know if they will fit on my 2016? It seems like they are very close in size.

1. The tires on it are snow tires that are pretty much shot. Will need to be replaced soon. Does it make sense to get a set of 20" wheels with tires or stick with the 18s? If so, what are the best tires? It gets pretty cold here in winter, so I was thinking of keeping the 18s for snow tires and buying another set of wheels with all season tires for use in the summer.
i put on 245/55 r18 Continental Extremecontact DWS 06+ on mine. extremely happy with them.

Thanks. I went ahead and purchased a set of Michelin Crossclimate2 tires. Discount tire was running a rebate deal on them and I decided I didn't want to buy used tires. I have put a few hundred miles on them and everything is OK so far. They are advertised as being better than all seasons for winter use. Will report back after the snow falls...

Thanks. I went ahead and purchased a set of Michelin Crossclimate2 tires. Discount tire was running a rebate deal on them and I decided I didn't want to buy used tires. I have put a few hundred miles on them and everything is OK so far. They are advertised as being better than all seasons for winter use. Will report back after the snow falls...
good choice as well. that was going to be my #2 choice.

They seem to be closer to an All-Weather tire than an All-Season tire but not a true Winter tire despite the 3PMSF symbol. Seems like a good choice when not considering 2 sets of wheel/tiress. Good luck.

Peter

i put on 245/55 r18 Continental Extremecontact DWS 06+ on mine. extremely happy with them.
I just put a set of those on yesterday, so far, 130 miles,-0- complaints, much better than the RSA’s that were on it.

You can put a larger tire on your piu, you will need to go with a stock size that is available for programming with IDS, or about any size if your programming with forscan.

Back