2021 Explorer XLT Travel Trailer towing issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer XLT Travel Trailer towing issues.

Ltomprice

Reaction score
City, State
Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
About to purchase new Explorer equipped with 52T factory installed towing package. Ford does not offer an electric trailer brake controller for the Explorer. I am aware several are available after market, not my question. My question is, has anyone experienced any issues pulling a trailer weighing 4500 pounds. Acceleration, climbing, & most importantly STOPPING without a controller?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't want to jackknife with a trailer that weighs nearly the same as the tow vehicle, you need a controller.

If you don't want to jackknife with a trailer that weighs nearly the same as the tow vehicle, you need a controller.

That and in most if not all states it's illegal.

Yeah definitely going to need a controller for that weight. They're super easy to install (<1hr) and the harness is there already I believe. TriFlex Proportional Trailer Brake Controller

Highly recommend the TriFlex. It's accelerometer based and not time based, it will respond directly to how YOU are braking the vehicle, hills, etc. It's small and affordable at $128.

You need harness #51322 or #51323 by CURT. This is plug & play. You will find the vehicle harness up behind the driver kick panel behind the steering wheel/above the pedals.

Amazon product ASIN B001GN1K18
Amazon product ASIN B0072UGXSY

Thanks for the replies. In fact a controller is required for 3000 lb. & up trailers in Alabama. If AL, then probably all states. Next question, any recommendations on a good quality controller?

Thanks for the replies. In fact a controller is required for 3000 lb. & up trailers in Alabama. If AL, then probably all states. Next question, any recommendations on a good quality controller?
I would go with Tekonsha. They have been around for a long time. I'm sure others are very good also.

About to purchase new Explorer equipped with 52T factory installed towing package. Ford does not offer an electric trailer brake controller for the Explorer. I am aware several are available after market, not my question. My question is, has anyone experienced any issues pulling a trailer weighing 4500 pounds. Acceleration, climbing, & most importantly STOPPING without a controller?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You will also require a Weight Distribution Hitch. Here is another thread on the brake controller.

Peter

Legal, schmegal :rolleyes:. The important part is that your insurance is automatically cancelled two microseconds before impact.

I have never before heard it being against the law to pull a trailer without trailer brakes?? how would they know unless you have a wreck or something? I mean i use trailer breaks on my low boy pulling the tractor or something of that sort. The main thing is like what had already mentioned is the weight, if what your pulling is going to out weigh the tow vehicle you need trailer brakes. You do not have to have them but its a really good idea. You are going to be taking weight off the front of the vehicle where most of your stopping power is. There easy to install and cheap insurance.

You can get ones that use bluetooth from your phone, so you don't need any installation or mounts. I use the Curt Echo. Took a Passport from Virginia to northern Maine this year with a 4200 GVWR trailer. Add weight distribution hitch. No issues. The explorer should be better than the Passport, but mine being a 2013 with 200k left that kind of job long ago.

Did you just say Bluetooth trailer brakes or did I miss something?

Did you just say Bluetooth trailer brakes or did I miss something?
It is a bluetooth brake controller. I believe the poster had the full towing package with the line for the electric brakes. He needs a controller to modulate the brakes correctly for his trailering setup. So you might as well use a bluetooth controller. You hook it up in serial on the trailer cable, take the rig to a parking lot, drive around, stop, and set the adjustments that allow the trailer to come to a smooth straight stop behind you then save the profile. You can have multiple profiles so if you hook up to a different trailer you can use its setting.

Holy Moses that's the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. I have three different trailers i pull regularly, I would actually hook the brakes up on the two smaller ones if new I didn't have to sit there and fine tune my controller every time. They all three are very different in size. From 30' to 6'

When do you need a brake controller?

Peter

When do you need a brake controller?

Peter
Interesting. I knew Florida's limit was kinda low. I thought it was higher than 3,000# to need a braking system. My Ram included a controller (PO towed a horse trailer), but I unplugged it since I have only a utility trailer. Only once did I exceed the limit; A tile project at home put 4.600# of tile on the trailer and 1,800# in the bed. Overloaded just a tad. Back roads and planned stops got me home with no drama.

So how do they know if you have brakes or not? This coming Wednesday I'm set to do a run from TX to Florida with a triple axle gooseneck in a 2018 dodge ram 2500 to grab a skid steer and come back. How will they no I have brakes or not?

I assume it is like seat belts. If they stop you for something else they could write you up for not having the controller.

So how do they know if you have brakes or not? This coming Wednesday I'm set to do a run from TX to Florida with a triple axle gooseneck in a 2018 dodge ram 2500 to grab a skid steer and come back. How will they no I have brakes or not?
When they check the vehicle after the accident you were in.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When they check the vehicle after the accident you were in.

Peter
Yeah, stopping 5+ tons with just the truck brakes when a Prius cuts you off should create quite the pucker-factor.

Back