What did you do this weekend? Participation required | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Rebuilding the steering rack this weekend, having overhauled the steering hydralics last week end. Just need frame parts so I can put her back on the road.

Well there's bound to be a wrecked ST somewhere near you that you can pillage. Don't give up. I see roll-overs and ones with severer front end damage often listed in the Atlanta area CL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Baffling. There are many scrapped ST's on this island, and I'm sure most of them have those brackets that are useable.

Baffling. There are many scrapped ST's on this island, and I'm sure most of them have those brackets that are useable.
There should be thousands around but the people I talk to say it is to hard a Job, but it is a fairly easy job just drop the fuel tank and remove 4 bolts in one and 6 bolts in the other all from the bottom. Jack up a little, only need enough room to slide the fuel tank out. Took me less than an 2 Hr. to remove mine. We have to much rust on the tracs in my area, heavy salt use on roads and salty air from the ocean all around us. Soaked all bolts with WD 40 for a few hour and used a ratchet for removal, no impact wrench, not needed. A quick way to make a $100.00s plus shipping or more.

101_2856.JPG

Bought this topper for my '01 today. Now I have one on both trucks. I didn't really care whether or not I had one on this truck until recently. I was forced to change jobs this winter, but stayed with the same company. Instead of delivering copiers like I've been doing for 9 years, I'm learning to maintain printers at a local hospital and the various related clinics. Once in awhile we need to transport a printer to one of the outlying clinics, and some models are too tall to fit in a car or under the factory cover I had on this truck. Only 1 of my coworkers has a truck, but he has a flat fiberglass cover the printers won't fit under. I've been deciding which truck to drive to work based on the weather. Now I won't have to do that.

I was trying to work out a deal on another topper this week and was prepared to go buy it today when I saw the ad for this one for $125 just 3 miles from my house. The rear door needs some attention, but it matches my truck, $125 vs $350, and 3 miles vs 45 each way. This one is a Raider, while the one I passed on is an A.R.E. just like the one on my silver truck seen in the background here. From the side they aren't much different, but the quality control on the Raider was nowhere near that of the A.R.E. I prefer the A.R.E.'s use of 1 handle on the door, but the Raider front window latch is accessible from the truck like it should be, not inside the topper like the A.R.E.

I checked craigslist in a 300 mile radius every day for 16 months before I found the one for my silver truck right here in Des Moines. This time I found 3 in a week, counting one that's for sale in Omaha. I'm a happy guy tonight!

No so happy this morning. OD light was flashing from start-up all the way to work (7 miles) this morning. Was not flashing last night. Shifting normally. 174900 miles

Well finely found my parts pics show old and reconditioned replacements cleaned up and three coats epoxy finished on the week end. Will install soon. Thank to everyone who tried with leads, I was able to find them off a low milage 2001 ST stored in a garage after the Transmission blow up. 105000 US Miles. Parts found in Canada salt country.
img_5110-jpeg.jpg
img_5112-jpeg.jpg
img_5114-jpeg.jpg

Well finely found my parts pics show old and reconditioned replacements cleaned up and three coats epoxy finished on the week end. Will install soon. Thank to everyone who tried with leads, I was able to find them off a low milage 2001 ST stored in a garage after the Transmission blow up. 105000 US Miles. Parts found in Canada salt country.
img_5110-jpeg.jpg
img_5112-jpeg.jpg
img_5114-jpeg.jpg

Can't see the pics as posted... but glad you found the pieces you needed.

IMG_20180429_144148272.jpg
Finally found a good used engine for my ST with a V8. It has 114k and comes with a 1 year parts and labor warranty. My engine suffered a burnt piston at the end of last summer. I found a mechanic willing to do the work that came recommended from a friend. He has done several Explorer V8's into Rangers so he should be good to do this job. He said he is looking forward to it so he can see how mine was done in comparison to how he does his.

IMG_20180506_154320423_HDR.jpg
Got the call today that he had my engine change done. I hauled it back due to the little junkie wheels and tires I had on it so it fit on the trailer. Also he informed me the my pinion bearing is shot in the rear end. I guess with the loud exhaust I had not heard it going bad. Now I will need to see if it is repairable. I kept my old engine as you can see it in the back. Might tear it down to see what happened and also see if it can be rebuilt.

Found a 4.10 limited slip at the local pull a part from an Explorer. It was nice and clean, got the calipers, rotors, cables and hoses for $180 with core charge. I am keeping the old one for another project or resale. I cleaned and painted everything while I had it apart. Put new Rancho shocks on the rear and a iron diff cover. Running and driving good again, it's been down about a year when the engine burnt a piston.
IMG_20180727_151546055.jpg

Most threads are created to solve the current issue one may have and the others are show off my st or lift thread. What about for everything in between- maintenance, upgrades or mods? The stuff you did over the weekend (or week), the stuff you may do all the time but doesn't warrant starting a new thread or you don't want to start a thread for a mod/upgrade you did.

My to-do list is long on maintenance or upgrades and most of my reminders and ideas come from someone else here. I wanted to do this for some time now mainly for the fact that it will give me (and others) ideas or to serve as a reminder.

So all I ask is if you did something/anything to your truck, share please. Example: cleaned iac/maf/throttle body, changed fluids, maintenance, bought something, installed something, modded something. I really don't care how small because it just might remind someone they needed to do it to. This isn't intended to necessarily be a how to thread, that would probably be better/easier to search for if its on its own (you can mention it here and link to it if you'd like).

Thanks for your participation :D
Working my fingers off; Removing Shocks and Rear Leaf Spring Shackles. Fought me Tooth and nail. Every step was a chore. Fun part for me are the worn out shackle bushing on Chassis frame. Its welded piece on one piece of channel and a hole cut out of frame on other side with a Tapered sleeve about 2 inch long, I' m guessing. Trying to bring back the Rex Sport with better posture. All the tools in the world but still there that one I didn't have. Next weekend probable more of the same, abusing myself so I can look good going down the road. Happy trails one and all.

Well it took over 6 months on and off but the old girl has been back on the road for about 40 days. I replaced the gussets & reinforcing brackets along with all the metal parts of the body mounts, both frame and cab while we were at it. Body mounts were replaced 2 years ago. Then I cleaned the frame, repaired all flaws and rust proofed it. Reinforced the frame to eliminate as much torque twist as I could. Also complete overhaul of the fuel system, cooling system (no Plastic), emission system, drive train, brakes, steering, suspension, heating, air and electrical. Replacing all relays, controls, valves, lines. rubber, wiring harness etc and all body corrosion. She is running like a top, and is tight handling the corners, bumps ruts, on and off the highway. All components are running within specifications. The only thing I will need to do is rebuild the engine and transmission which I have acquired and am doing now for future use, {when the originals cave in.} She will out live me and go on to serve my grandson for many years. Its been a fun LAST project for me even with all the frustration of looking for parts etc. And with all the work over the last 3 years she is better to-day than the day she left Louisville in 20.09.2000.

1 Cleaned up .jpg

2 Top view.jpg

3 Ready for box.jpg

4 Box Mounted.jpg

Nice job. It looks great.

Well it took over 6 months on and off but the old girl has been back on the road for about 40 days. I replaced the gussets & reinforcing brackets along with all the metal parts of the body mounts, both frame and cab while we were at it. Body mounts were replaced 2 years ago. Then I cleaned the frame, repaired all flaws and rust proofed it. Reinforced the frame to eliminate as much torque twist as I could. Also complete overhaul of the fuel system, cooling system (no Plastic), emission system, drive train, brakes, steering, suspension, heating, air and electrical. Replacing all relays, controls, valves, lines. rubber, wiring harness etc and all body corrosion. She is running like a top, and is tight handling the corners, bumps ruts, on and off the highway. All components are running within specifications. The only thing I will need to do is rebuild the engine and transmission which I have acquired and am doing now for future use, {when the originals cave in.} She will out live me and go on to serve my grandson for many years. Its been a fun LAST project for me even with all the frustration of looking for parts etc. And with all the work over the last 3 years she is better to-day than the day she left Louisville in 20.09.2000.

View attachment 161804

View attachment 161805

View attachment 161806

View attachment 161807
Good job, I'm very jealous of all your hard work.

I took my sport trac up to the mountains. To an abandoned section of the highway, near a ghost town and took photos of the Milky Way.

PSX_20180905_145312.jpg

PSX_20180905_151700.jpg

Too much to list that still needs done, but DreamCatcher is almost rollin!! I seriously need to update my build page :(

https://scontent.***c1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41637622_1115837511908292_1565461029012373504_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=20d3b9d3104ebb874f66cf34164b814f&oe=5C182E29

This thread needs to be brought back from the dead! --so I'll share my weekend.
I finally did something about the low hanging part of the middle welded-in crossmember. I've hit it a few times and it seems to be first place I hit when rock crawling. Must be 2 1/2" below the frame? Since I have a 3" body lift and the exhaust is tucked up a bit, there was room to cut off the low part of the crossmember* and weld in some bar straight across and gain a couple inches of clearance. Almost up to the bottom of the frame.
*I added most of the reinforcement before I cut it off the important bits.

I didn't take a pic of mine, but here is a nice view of dan_ill's truck posing on it's side from back in 2011, and the crossmember is circled.
ST Crossmember drop.png

I always enjoyed this thread. I went on a mild trail ride on Monday.
IMG_1375.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went wheeling last weekend and broke rear diff spider gears on some rough boulders. Had to trailer it home.

IMG_4644.JPG

20210919_142349c.jpg

Ford-8.8 exploded 1.jpg

Finished up replacing them today and put in new LS clutch plates while I was in there. Not too bad of a job, just went slow and watched lotta youtubes.

Back