Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
We regularly see videos captured from Tesla's onboard camera system when the vehicle is involved in an accident, theft, or malicious damage situations. Is the video in the Explorer able to be accessed in a similar way? I realize there is no "Feature" to do this, but can the video be downloaded by Ford or law enforcement agencies to be used as evidence?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the Explorer has the same type of camera. The one that the Explorer has isn't actually a video camera as far as I know. You'd have to install a dashcam or something similar. Interesting question and it would be interesting to get a definitive answer.

Peter

Explorer's dont have a user internal storage, big enough for its apps and only used for the navigation maps and updates but cant even store music in it.

Far as external, far as I know it only reads fat32 thumb drives up to 256gb and its only accessible for music as well. Wont read vid files which is the biggest issue if it can't read em, much less, will store em.

I don't think the Explorer has the same type of camera. The one that the Explorer has isn't actually a video camera as far as I know. You'd have to install a dashcam or something similar. Interesting question and it would be interesting to get a definitive answer.

Peter

The Explorers definitely uses video cameras. I use my forward cam all the time pulling into the garage, it's definitely not a still camera. The backup camera is obviously a video camera as you can watch people walk by, watch distances close, etc. The only question is whether or not it stores the video in memory, and if so, for how long and who can access it??

Explorer's dont have a user internal storage, big enough for its apps and only used for the navigation maps and updates but cant even store music in it.

Far as external, far as I know it only reads fat32 thumb drives up to 256gb and its only accessible for music as well. Wont read vid files which is the biggest issue if it can't read em, much less, will store em.

Ford has kept a portion of the vehicle memory available for diagnostics since at least the '90s. Going back to the '90s whenever an airbag goes off it records and stores various data leading up to the crash such as speed, brakes activated or not, seat belt fastened, which seats had passengers in them, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they also keep the final x.. seconds of video before a crash is detected.

The Explorers definitely uses video cameras. I use my forward cam all the time pulling into the garage, it's definitely not a still camera. The backup camera is obviously a video camera as you can watch people walk by, watch distances close, etc. The only question is whether or not it stores the video in memory, and if so, for how long and who can access it??
You are correct. I guess I should have been more specific and added 'video recording' capabilities. I realize that they do show video as I use both cameras as well. I rely on the front sensors when pulling into the garage and stop at the sign of the first red indicator.

Peter

Ford has kept a portion of the vehicle memory available for diagnostics since at least the '90s. Going back to the '90s whenever an airbag goes off it records and stores various data leading up to the crash such as speed, brakes activated or not, seat belt fastened, which seats had passengers in them, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they also keep the final x.. seconds of video before a crash is detected.
That's completely different than storing actual video files. The video footage would need to be stored in an internal storage drive or external like Tesla's ability as the file sizes would not be small at all, even in cheap quality.

CEL, SRS, anything to do with engine codes, etc are stored differently in the car's computer vs an actual video file footage that would need an HDD or SSD.

Back