Rattles Driving me CRAZY (Solved)

Twilley

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
:exp:
So I bought a 2013 limited, and I've been hearing rattles coming from the back middle of the vehicle. Obviously, Ive read too much on the board, and assumed the Moon roof was rattling or a rear pillar was causing the issue...

So tonight I went out with a few LED flashlights and performed some yoga investigation. I was digging around everywhere. It turns out that 16 cents in change, a metal necklace, 2 pencils, 3 wooden nickels, and a bottle-cap can all rattle around INSIDE the 2nd row seats!

I flipped up the seats, and pried off the carpet covering to provide access to the insides. From there, jamming in my arm and feeling around found many treasures! I just went for a ride, and it was silent!!!! OMG, that feel fantastic to ride my X from the stress of being a Rattle-Trap.

For anyone that hears rattles, check deep inside your seats!! You never know what you'll find!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ha! I think I left a $20 back there, did you find it?

I know how you feel about the rattles. I have had 3 Ford's before this one and never had a rattle issue until this. I was driving with the rattle issue on the moon roof (drove me completely bonkers) that I ended up fixing myself after the dealer said they "got me all snugged up" - I felt like I was driving around in a GM. But now that the rattle is eliminated, I am once again very happy with my Ex Sport. This is an "awesome vehicle" and I am confident this power train will last me a long time. If they tightened up QC in final assembly a bit in Chicago, it would border "amazing vehicle"

I had rattles from the fabric surround on the moon roof and the glove box, some foam in strategic places fixed that. Drives me nuts to buy a new vehicle and have rattles. Think it is hit and miss on new vehicles, bought a new 'Vette a year ago and not a peep, a GM Acadia and Chrysler 300 before that had rattles in the dash. Figured them both out eventually and fixed. I find taking these issues back to a dealer is a waste of time.

... I find taking these issues back to a dealer is a waste of time.

That's for sure! I'm thinking with our Group Conscience, and my can of expanding foam, we can fix ANY rattles !! Ha!

I have had 5 Explorers, starting in 2004 and counting my current 2014. This is by far the worst for rattles. The older generation Explorers were very solid, rattle free vehicles. This 5th generation feels loose, flimsy, and rattles over any rough road. Rattles seem to come from all the trim pieces in the dash, doors and headliner. It's just not a very well made vehicle.

Hopefully they cured this in the 2016 model.

My Ex had a rattle, among several other problems, right at delivery of my 15' limited; its was the driver side rear panel in the cargo boot. I had to work some foam in there to eliminate it. I have yet to get a late model ford Ford that does not have rattle's. Two of my previous brand new expedition's needed foam wedged in the roof panel to eliminate rattles, and I found one a bolt rolling in the rear door that obviously fell in there in the factory. My 2011 Mustang was the best build car among all late model Fords; no complain at all!

Ford can design great cars; they just are so poorly in putting them together.

Rear right door rattles like crazy overtime it's closed. It's like there's something inside the door that moves freely. Never took it apart, never had it fixed, no mods...grrrr!

This seems like the most up to date rattle thread. I have two that are driving me crazy:
1) Front passenger glove box area over rough roads. Almost sounds like a scraping/squeak sometimes.
2)2nd row passenger side. I haven't figured out the location of this one yet. I read that it might be below the seat, so I will look there. Almost sounds like something is in the door cup holder rattling away.

I already had the truck back in the shop to fix the moon roof rattle. It ended up being the roof rack rails which the dealer unbolted, added cushioning material, then re-installed.

I love the truck, but two things drive me crazy. The rattles and the shifting of the transmission.

This seems like the most up to date rattle thread. I have two that are driving me crazy:
1) Front passenger glove box area over rough roads. Almost sounds like a scraping/squeak sometimes.
2)2nd row passenger side. I haven't figured out the location of this one yet. I read that it might be below the seat, so I will look there. Almost sounds like something is in the door cup holder rattling away.

I already had the truck back in the shop to fix the moon roof rattle. It ended up being the roof rack rails which the dealer unbolted, added cushioning material, then re-installed.

I love the truck, but two things drive me crazy. The rattles and the shifting of the transmission.

I was wandering if you ever figured out the rattle in the back? I'm getting a sound that is similar and cannot figure what is causing it.

I just had a rattle in the back. I had to pull out the plastic slightly from the hatch. Something metal(ish) below the panel was getting contacted by the plastic. Popping loose one rivet (plastic detent??) thing did the trick...

I was wandering if you ever figured out the rattle in the back? I'm getting a sound that is similar and cannot figure what is causing it.

One day I decided to flip the seat up (as if someone was going to get in the third row) and looked around to see what might be rattling. When I frustratingly couldn't find anything I slammed the seat down harder than usual and the rattle stopped. It seems like if you have someone enter/exit the third row and they don't put the seat back with a little authority it can get a little rattle.

That's my super scientific research and expert solution.

I have both as well..but found the first one. It sounded like the glove box...but it wasn't It was actually the top shade. If i move it down a tad..that rattle is gone. And i fixed one in my passengers door by some super glue the other day..so it's pretty good for now

And i fixed one in my passengers door by some super glue the other day..so it's pretty good for now

Where was the rattle in the passenger door? Sounds like I have something coming from there but haven't looked yet to see what?

Just back from the dealership and they located my rattle in the overhead console/sunglass holder. Ordered a new one and once installed rattle gone.

Just back from the dealership and they located my rattle in the overhead console/sunglass holder. Ordered a new one and once installed rattle gone.
I've had that thing down more times than I can count, shoving gasket material around the edges and on the backside of it, and even solid shims around the edge to tighten the fit up. It's driving me F-ing crazy. The rattle will stop if I put pressure on it and pull the lip downwards from either the front or the back, or if I flip open the sunglass holder and push up through it at the top. :mad:

My 2012 F150 Screw was the worst (purchased new). All four door panels rattled, bought a roll of 2" foam tape removed all four door panels and applied that **** everywhere(rattles gone). But now my 16 F150 Screw is dead silent.

Thankfully my 19 explorer is dead quiet.

I just test drove a 17 Explorer Sport and man it was solid, nary a squeak or rattle, not to mention the power difference.

I've had that thing down more times than I can count, shoving gasket material around the edges and on the backside of it, and even solid shims around the edge to tighten the fit up. It's driving me F-ing crazy. The rattle will stop if I put pressure on it and pull the lip downwards from either the front or the back, or if I flip open the sunglass holder and push up through it at the top. :mad:
What about ordering a new one from levittownfordparts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell Benny you are a forum member and you may get a discount.

Peter

Back