6th Gen Modified Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6th Gen Modified Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread

Hey gents! I have been considering a new Explorer purchase for a while now but I couldn't get over some of the body lines of the 2020 and newer Explorers. They design lines and options just don't please my eye. However, I have noticed some of the ST models with their different wheels and such are more pleasing to my eyes.

Anyway, the other night I was driving home (in Cedar Rapids, IA) and in the opposite direction on a divided highway I saw what I believed to be a 2020 or newer white Ford Explorer ST with the unicolor body I've wanted ever since the 2011 Limited or Platinum models became available. I'm not 100% sure it was a Ford Explorer since it was traveling in the opposite direction and I noticed it last minute, but it sure looked like a Explorer ST.

When I got home I searched the web hoping maybe Ford finally allowed for uni-color body on the Platinum or ST lines of the latest generation, but that still seems to be a dream. I did find this picture of an Explorer of what I believe was the same color and design of what I saw. Obviously this picture is a custom Ex and I can't find any details about it. I thought I'd ask this forum and thread. I looked on this forum a bit but didn't find anything. I wasn't sure if anyone knew any details.... if the owner painted the lower black trim, if it was a wrap job, etc. Even searching about the Explorer in the picture I can't find any details. Can anyone provide any help?

IMG_2968.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be a custom paint job. There are a few others here that have done it as well with their 5th gen.

That would be a custom paint job. There are a few others here that have done it as well with their 5th gen.
Thanks. I had seen the Gen 5 paint jobs, but was really hoping Ford would finally my personal request for that to be a factory option. :)

Hey gents! I have been considering a new Explorer purchase for a while now but I couldn't get over some of the body lines of the 2020 and newer Explorers. They design lines and options just don't please my eye. However, I have noticed some of the ST models with their different wheels and such are more pleasing to my eyes.

Anyway, the other night I was driving home (in Cedar Rapids, IA) and in the opposite direction on a divided highway I saw what I believed to be a 2020 or newer white Ford Explorer ST with the unicolor body I've wanted ever since the 2011 Limited or Platinum models became available. I'm not 100% sure it was a Ford Explorer since it was traveling in the opposite direction and I noticed it last minute, but it sure looked like a Explorer ST.

When I got home I searched the web hoping maybe Ford finally allowed for uni-color body on the Platinum or ST lines of the latest generation, but that still seems to be a dream. I did find this picture of an Explorer of what I believe was the same color and design of what I saw. Obviously this picture is a custom Ex and I can't find any details about it. I thought I'd ask this forum and thread. I looked on this forum a bit but didn't find anything. I wasn't sure if anyone knew any details.... if the owner painted the lower black trim, if it was a wrap job, etc. Even searching about the Explorer in the picture I can't find any details. Can anyone provide any help?

View attachment 340471

Yeah it looks similar to the ST that Ford has at their driving schools. I like the color matching fenders and white color bumpers. Maybe I can upgrade to one of these Ford Performance Racing School's Explorer ST Is Made to Explore the Race Track

Those Explorers look great. I would want a little more ground clearance, but other than that I love ether unicolor body and and lower stance.

I wish Ford put these for sale to public. Just like they are doing with Mustang and adding a bunch of modified stuff.

FYI, it appears there are some Ford dealer making the exterior upgrades. I stumbled across this listing. It has a $9000 upfit charge and in some of the photos the Explorer ST appears to have the cosmetic upgrades some of us have inquired about.

I've heard now of two dealers making similar "upgrades" to Explorers.

FYI, it appears there are some Ford dealer making the exterior upgrades. I stumbled across this listing. It has a $9000 upfit charge and in some of the photos the Explorer ST appears to have the cosmetic upgrades some of us have inquired about.

I've heard now of two dealers making similar "upgrades" to Explorers.

Yeah, but it nothing compared to this monster Ford Performance built an Explorer ST to hit the track with

Maybe I am not looking at the right pics but on that link the 2021 ST I only saw a different FORD emblem on front and back but the asking price is 8K more. What did they do? wheels, suspension and brakes seem to be the same in those pics.

I do not see any sportier front bumper or side bumper looks. They do not seeing to describe the 8K upgrade but maybe I am blind and just cannot see it.

Ground clearance is decent if you live in the city. The black plastic front on the lower grill might need to be replaced a few times though.

Yeah, but it nothing compared to this monster Ford Performance built an Explorer ST to hit the track with

Maybe I am not looking at the right pics but on that link the 2021 ST I only saw a different FORD emblem on front and back but the asking price is 8K more. What did they do? wheels, suspension and brakes seem to be the same in those pics.

I do not see any sportier front bumper or side bumper looks. They do not seeing to describe the 8K upgrade but maybe I am blind and just cannot see it.

Ground clearance is decent if you live in the city. The black plastic front on the lower grill might need to be replaced a few times though.
My original post to this thread was asking about the availability of a unibody color on the new Explorers, aka the black molding being painted the same as the body color. I was merely posting a link about a dealership that appears to be taking ST models, removing the black body molding, prepping the molding, and painting the molding to match the body color. They appear to also make some other minor cosmetic improvements. I never made had a request about a performance upgrade. Another example of their cosmetic changes can be seen in these photos. People can make their own decision if it's worth the price increase.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 7.56.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 7.57.00 AM.png

I like the look. Are you going to lift any I heard there is a 1 1/2” lift you can do. Traxda or something like that?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Z-boy. :wave:

Peter

The rare off-road oriented ST. Wheel spacers on the way for a smidge of poke 🤙
That looks awesome. What wheels and tires did you go with? Size? Offset? Thanks.

That looks awesome. What wheels and tires did you go with? Size? Offset? Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Lots of new members signing up. :thumbsup:

Peter

Very nice. What brand of tire are they using on the Timberline?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like a 265/65 R18 tire on the Timberline
what air pressure does ford recommend?

Back