will this exhaust tip fit my 95 explorer 4.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will this exhaust tip fit my 95 explorer 4.0?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
I want to add this tip cos my stock tail pipe is a rusty eye sore.

Not sure what the inlet and outlet sizes are or what I need. I plan to just go to my local shop and have him weld it on.

Will this work? It says universal fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You still have your factory tailpipe? Impressive.

My 98’s original exhaust gave up the ghost about 9-10 years ago. Corrosion. They salt roads like a bunch of dickheads here (NY).

I once asked my buddy why it rotted...he goes ‘they call it stainLESS not stainPROOF’ :)

Rock Auto parts for the '95 4.0L suggest it has a 2.0" O.D. pipe, and this tip is 2.0" inlet and 2.25" outlet so yes it should fit to weld on with no further hardware needed.

My '98 still has the factory exhaust, but it started sounding aggressive a couple years ago, hole in muffler and back pipe is pretty rusty too, so I bought cat-back parts to replace it, BUT I got an aluminized back pipe/resonator instead of stainless, so am not in a hurry to put it on because the stock stainless pipe may still have as much life left in it as the replacement... am waiting till it changes from aggressive to obnoxious sounding.

I don’t believe the factory pipes are stainless. I replaced my first second gen complete exhaust over 15 years ago. Even in a salted area that’d be a terrible lifespan for stainless.

As for the tip, just measure your tailpipe size. Get a tip in that size that clamps on. If you’re paying someone to weld it on, just buy it from them.

Out of curiousity, I measured the O.D.'s of the factory stock exhaust tail pipe and short extension tip on my '98 using calipers. Exhaust pipe measures about 2.08" O.D. and short tail pipe tip welded on the end is about 2.25" O.D. I'm thinking that the polished stainless tip you're looking at that shows a 2" inlet indicates the I.D...which should allow it to slip over your existing pipe (after you remove the rust buildup). If not, you'll need a coupler to join the two.

I’ve heard they’re 409 stainless. No confirmation though.

I’ve been through a ton of aluminized tailpipes. The Walker SS stainless mufflers last a while (5-6 years) but those tailpipes barely last 2. I coated the hell out of my current one with BBQ paint, inside (best I could) and out and that seems to have made it more resilient

I don’t believe the factory pipes are stainless. I replaced my first second gen complete exhaust over 15 years ago. Even in a salted area that’d be a terrible lifespan for stainless.

As for the tip, just measure your tailpipe size. Get a tip in that size that clamps on. If you’re paying someone to weld it on, just buy it from them.
I'd be convinced except that my original pipe is now 24 years old, having been driven on winter salted roads every year, which I doubt a mere aluminized pipe would survive. I did occasionally hose off the undercarriage but couldn't do that right away back when it was a daily driver to work.

I am confident they are SS, at least on the two that I own. On the one from up north everything is pretty rusty... except the pipes. Muffler shields and resonators/muffers are all falling apart but the pipes are rust free.

^ That's somewhat the opposite of what mine did. The pipes are uniformly rust covered (but no rust-through yet), muffler and resonator similarly rusted, but the pipe and muffler heat shields have less rust (probably partly due to not getting as hot), and the band holding the muffler heat shield on is practically rust free. However the following pic is from 8 years ago, just convenient to pull up because I already had it, obviously it has rusted more since then.

exhaust_rust.jpg

Rock Auto parts for the '95 4.0L suggest it has a 2.0" O.D. pipe, and this tip is 2.0" inlet and 2.25" outlet so yes it should fit to weld on with no further hardware needed.

My '98 still has the factory exhaust, but it started sounding aggressive a couple years ago, hole in muffler and back pipe is pretty rusty too, so I bought cat-back parts to replace it, BUT I got an aluminized back pipe/resonator instead of stainless, so am not in a hurry to put it on because the stock stainless pipe may still have as much life left in it as the replacement... am waiting till it changes from aggressive to obnoxious sounding.
tip not a problem but if pips under car are leaking aka noisy there's a good chance of carbon monoxide poisonings so at least use muffler seal. or replace pipe it can be deadly

^ Good advice. I don't use that vehicle in scenarios where I'm sitting in traffic for long or parked with engine running. Never smelled exhaust intrusion.

I've got one of those home CO detectors and eventually plan to hook a battery pack up to it (currently AC/DC adapter powered only) so I can check CO but more so for my '14 because of the potential CO issues surrounding the 5th gen even without exhaust leaks.

nice, where did you get your catback?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice, where did you get your catback?
Bought as separate pieces, where I got the best prices. Amazon for rubber hangers and the rear pipe, beat Rock Auto because big pipe had higher shipping at Rock Auto but free at Amazon. Muffler, 2 clamps & a gasket were Rock Auto, Lowes for flange bolts/nuts.

I'm not bothering to list the pieces because they'd be different for your '95 than my '98 SOHC. The muffler and pipe were Walker brand. IIRC Walker also sold the pieces (besides the rubber hangers) as a kit but was more expensive than buying separately, or maybe the kit didn't have the stainless muffler, I don't remember.

Back