• Register Today It's free!

Rear disc brake shields

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
Just replaced my front rotors, and pads. While replacing the rears I noticed one side had an axle seal leak.
So I figured out how to pull the axels, and replaced both the seals (a first for me).

When taking off the rear parking brake shoes I noticed that the hole for the pin that pushes through from the rear of the assembly through the slot in the shoe, and is held on by a spring clip is rusted out. It's stopping all progress.
I can see that to replace the shields I would need to pull the axels. Since I haven't put the differential cover back on removing the axels again wouldn't be much of a problem at this point. The problem is I cannot find any of the rear dust shields. Ugh !!!
I hope I am calling this part (dust shield) correctly I have seen mention of backing plate maybe it's the same thing.

Anyway if anybody has any ideas I'm all ears ! I have momentarily thought maybe I could place some sort of patch on the rear of this shield to keep the pin head from pulling through, but sure would like to do it right by replacing the rusted out shield.

Maybe if I loosened the bolts that hold the shield on I could slip some sort of U shaped metal under to cover up both pin holes, snug the bolt back down, and drill them out for the two pins ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those shields are probably not reproduced :( My bet is that you would have to find used ones in good shape, or start modifying as you already mentioned.

Thanks for responding Rick. Searched high, and low nobody has any. As far as used parts around here with all the salt they are likely to be just as bad. Wish I has access to the bone yards down south or west where salt isn't used.

Well I finally had enough time to pull the axel again, a little PB blaster a few days ago on the threads and they back right out.

Today probably in vain I'm going to ask the O'Reily parts store to compare a Dorman 924-230 with my rusted plate. Thought about repairing the old plate on the Sport Trac, realizing that would not work I pulled it. It's currently sitting in my home made electrolysis tank getting de-rusted. Love how the rust just falls off when you rinse it off. The majority of the old plate is solid.
Anyway my latest thoughts are trying to repair mine with epoxy. Once all the rust is gone and I now see bright shiny metal I'm thinking the epoxy will bond with the plate.

What is the part number?
For the rear Drivers side which I need the most 3L2Z-2B636-BA the right which I would replace since I have everything apart is 3L2Z-2B636-AA

I did soak the part in my home made electrolysis tub. I was trying to think how I might mix up epoxy and cover the plate. Maybe pie in the sky or should I say plate in the sky !

Just thought I would say what has transpired with my rear brake backing plates. I did contact surplus yards around the western U.S., but unless I was willing to buy the entire rear end and pay for the shipping across the country no separate backing plates were available. I tried contacting the manufacturer of JB Weld asking about reinforcing the existing backing plate with JB Weld. Their support group thought it was not the best idea. They did however suggest trying to locate a metal fabricator. A few weeks ago, I located a local fabricator who informed me that he was taking delivery of a large piece of machinery (big enough that it is moved by a rigger I can't remember how many tons the rig weighed) about the end of March 2022 on which he could make me backing plates.

So, in about 3 weeks I'm headed back with my rusted backing plates hoping for the best. What's it going to cost?

Wish me luck!

Yup none for 2005 thanks

The 2005 Explorer Sport Trac is basically a 2nd gen Explorer, with the different bed and some interior items like door panels.

In any case, that plate you have should be possible to weld to. If it's just the dust shield, it shouldn't be a critical part for the parking brake parts etc. So it sounds like it's the backing plate needed, which is thicker steel, and easily welded to. The dust shield should be thin sheet metal.

I had a worn through backing plate on my 93 Explorer, the brake lining plates wore through where they rest against constantly. They made two slots on each of the two backing plates, mileage was about 105k miles. I had a friend weld up the holes, and I used a big grinder to smooth it down to be level with the original surface. It worked as good as new, the cost was my labor of about an hour grinding etc, and about ten minutes of welding by my friend.

Post a picture here if you can, it's easier to suggest the best answer if we can see it clearly.

It is the backing plate. Welding at this point doesn't seem feasible I think it would just burn right through. They are pretty thin. After taking the backing plate off I soaked it in an electrolysis bath. Once de-rusted, cleaned and held up to the light you could see through it in multiple places. It doesn't do too much other than support the rear parking brake shoes and the brake cable. Thankfully there is enough of it left that the fabricator was able to examine it. Not sure if he can replicate the little nubs where the parking brake shoes ride, but if he can't I will have some small welding done and grind those to fit.

It sounds bad enough that they should be replaced. I would stop and think about converting to the rear discs of any 95-01 Explorer. Those parts are readily available, and it's a relatively easy swap to do. Many people on the forum have done it and I keep forgetting that the Sport Trac's got drum brakes until some later year.

I do have disc brakes in the rear, but the rear parking brakes are the old shoe type. Correct me if I am wrong, but the conversion you mention isn't that for Explorers having rear shoes for braking?

I'm sorry, you have the discs, which must have begun in the 2004 range I'm guessing.

In any case, you should be able to use the backing plate from the 2nd gen Explorers, if the calipers and rotors didn't change. I suggest researching the part numbers for the rotors and calipers, if they match then it may be as simple as buying the backing plates from a decent 95-01 Explorer. I had a whole rear end that I planned to sell the brakes and scrap the rear. I got it for the axles of my 99 and I think we got rid of the rear long ago.

It might be cheaper to buy a entire 8.8 from a yard than have someone fabricate backing plates.
I searched Amazon, eBay, RockAuto, etc., no backing plates for 95-01 Explorer.

It might be cheaper to buy a entire 8.8 from a yard than have someone fabricate backing plates.
I searched Amazon, eBay, RockAuto, etc., no backing plates for 95-01 Explorer.

That is a big problem, sellers don't spend time to list parts to sell, which they rarely have a buyer for. It might be easier to find those backing plates from a member here. So this thread might be the best path, I would change the title to backing plate and put it in the wanted forum.

For one example, I need front caliper brackets from a mid 70's mid sized Ford, for my Ranchero. The rotors got 1" bigger in mid 73, and the only change was that bracket. So any 1974-79 non-large Ford car has the brackets I need. But no eBay seller or online parts source will list that type of part separately. Sourcing parts is not much easier now than it was 30 years ago, there's more, but it's far more complicated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CDW6212R That's a good idea I'll try the wanted section!​

Trying to find the wanted section?

Back