Oil poured out of engine?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iitsfrost

Reaction score
City, State
Piedmont, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Long story, so yesterday I decided it's time to replace my timing chain tensioners before they get worse, I also had a very small leak from my oil pan. So we pulled the old tensioners out, drained the oil, replaced the oil pan gasket, got the oil pan on nice and tight. Put in new tensioners which was a pain in the ass, filled her up with oil. And when I started it, it sounded like it was running brand new, way better than I've ever heard it run. About a minute in and all of a sudden I hear a loud clicking/knocking sound, not even sure how to describe it. So I turn the engine off and hear almost like a peeing sound, we look under the car and all the oil we put in the engine is just straight pouring out. Not from the oil pan, not a drop came from there. It was coming FROM the engine. But not from either of the tensioners or the oil pan. I have absolutely zero clue what happened and really need some insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will definitely help with the diagnosis if you can locate where the oil did come from.

Gotta be the tensioner surfaces. Maybe check again.… Just gotta be.

Good luck.

Those tensioners can be a little tough to seat… need super clean surface. Need crush washer, as I recall. Need a LOT of torque.

Good luck.

Hmmm...can't think of anywhere other than the drain plug or maybe the oil filter where oil could run out that fast. Any bad seal or gasket would at least limit the flow to steady drips.

Hmmm...can't think of anywhere other than the drain plug or maybe the oil filter where oil could run out that fast. Any bad seal or gasket would at least limit the flow to steady drips.
Yeah I mean there was no oil coming from anywhere on the pan, didn't think about checking the oil filter, although I didn't change that, maybe it could be. Because it was a steady stream of POURING oil.

EDIT: It's not the oil filter. Funny enough the passenger side of the engine is completely dry but the drivers side is where all the oil residue is.

Long story, so yesterday I decided it's time to replace my timing chain tensioners before they get worse, I also had a very small leak from my oil pan. So we pulled the old tensioners out, drained the oil, replaced the oil pan gasket, got the oil pan on nice and tight. Put in new tensioners which was a pain in the ass, filled her up with oil. And when I started it, it sounded like it was running brand new, way better than I've ever heard it run. About a minute in and all of a sudden I hear a loud clicking/knocking sound, not even sure how to describe it. So I turn the engine off and hear almost like a peeing sound, we look under the car and all the oil we put in the engine is just straight pouring out. Not from the oil pan, not a drop came from there. It was coming FROM the engine. But not from either of the tensioners or the oil pan. I have absolutely zero clue what happened and really need some insight.
Alrighty, so ran it again after putting some more oil in it so I can see where its coming from. It's coming from the timing chain tensioner, the one on the top. Any thoughts? I mean the tensioner is brand new.

Get a new gasket washer from local ford dealer cheap
Try again this time pay attention to the gasket
Tighten to 35 foot pounds
Be sure everything is clean

Get a new gasket washer from local ford dealer cheap
Try again this time pay attention to the gasket
Tighten to 35 foot pounds
Be sure everything is clean
so I can just go up to any local ford dealership and ask for it?

Back