• Register Today It's free!

2014 sluggish starting

IAMCANADIAN_EH

Reaction score
City, State
Lloydminster
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
Just curious if anyone has had a solution for a sluggish start? Starts 100% after sitting over night. But after sitting for a > hour this is the result...sometimes longer drag time. New primary fuel pump, new mass flow sensor, all coils are .7 ohms, newer spark plugs ( just checked gapped to .51), throttle body cleaned and same with the plastic intake manifold.

In other threads, others have changed the starter and it fixed the issue... can that be really the fix here?

Morning start

2013 Ford Explorer - Cold Starting

After 90 mins of sitting (+27c)

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having a problem with sluggish starting, but opposite from you. Mine is sluggish when cold.

Typically, one of the indicators of a failing starter is having trouble starting when engine is warm. The heat has an effect on the starter motor.

I am having a problem with sluggish starting, but opposite from you. Mine is sluggish when cold.

Typically, one of the indicators of a failing starter is having trouble starting when engine is warm. The heat has an effect on the starter motor.
Yeah, that sucks... I was able to figure it out. I had a leaking injector. We clean them, but one was operating correctly. Replaced it, and it hasn't missed a beat. I am a little disappointed with the dealership, they gave me the list of items to replace, had the vehicle in the shop the entire day with zero mention it could be injector related.

Have you checked your battery?

Peter

Yeah, that sucks... I was able to figure it out. I had a leaking injector. We clean them, but one was operating correctly. Replaced it, and it hasn't missed a beat. I am a little disappointed with the dealership, they gave me the list of items to replace, had the vehicle in the shop the entire day with zero mention it could be injector related.
How did you track down which one it was did it give a misfire code?

I just put a new battery in it because it was due.

I hooked up FORScan, and it’s charging at 13.9v. There are no error codes, and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Of course, it started perfectly today. Nothing worse than intermittent problems. Those are typically electrical in nature.

I just put a new battery in it because it was due.

I hooked up FORScan, and it’s charging at 13.9v. There are no error codes, and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Of course, it started perfectly today. Nothing worse than intermittent problems. Those are typically electrical in nature.
Did you let the vehicle sit undisturbed (sleep) for an 8 hour period after changing the battery?

Peter

Back