Full Electric Ford Explorer coming in 2023 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full Electric Ford Explorer coming in 2023

There definitely is no quick solution. Anyone who thinks electric cars will be the complete end all short term solution in just a few years, is not in tune with how stuff works. The only way for us to move into a fully green and electric future, will be if we completely develope fusion energy. Its the only way we can generate enough power to feed the actual demand. Nothing else can touch the output. For those unfamiliar, fusion is the reaction that makes the sun exist. Until very recently, it took more energy to fire a fusion reaction than what we got out of it. A lot of ground has been gained recently, but its not at all close to the point it needs to be. Not only to be reliable but also to be the major source of power it would take to be completely green.

Completely green also requires minimal or no batteries. So the reaction would need to be local and controlled, but able to be started and supplemented by outlying sources. Energy would need to be produced as its consumed. That's really hard to do when you begin to think about it. It changes the design and engineering of nearly everything we have done in the last 200 years. If we can harness it though, wow. You think stuff is changing fast now! That would definitely be the start of something huge. It would make the industrial revolution look like the days of the invention of the wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw that the other day. I was trying to figure out if they gut the original block and put the electric bits into it, or if its a new cast piece or fiberglass or something.

Hot rod's project X 57 Bel-Air is an EV now. GM sponsored the build for SEMA and is showcasing thier eCrate motor system for performance builds.

Ford built a 78 F100 the same way. Like it or not, here they come.

More like a electric wolf in wolf's clothing.
I saw that the other day. I was trying to figure out if they gut the original block and put the electric bits into it, or if its a new cast piece or fiberglass or something.

Hot rod's project X 57 Bel-Air is an EV now. GM sponsored the build for SEMA and is showcasing thier eCrate motor system for performance builds.

Ford built a 78 F100 the same way. Like it or not, here they come.
I don't mind the Tesla motor swaps into the older hot rods. Some of them are very cool, and crazy fast. I drove a Tesla right after they came out and it was a fun car with crazy acceleration, but I couldn't get over the lack of engine noise. It will never feel like a performance car to me without the growl.

What I really don't like is people thinking that they are saving the environment by going with electric vehicles. The battery technology isn't available yet. From what I understand, the current battery technology uses precious resources that are nonrenewable, and in much more limited quantity than fossil fuels. My San Diego neighborhood is full of self absorbed Tesla owners. Most seem to think that driving one gives them priority over us less civilized internal combustion engine powered vehicle driving heathens.

I was disappointed when I saw a Tesla on Stockton Hill Road north of Kingman the other day. It was probably en-route to the Grand Canyon Skywalk or desperately searching for a EV station.. This area is full of hot rods and well maintained older trucks.

More like a electric wolf in wolf's clothing.

I don't mind the Tesla motor swaps into the older hot rods. Some of them are very cool, and crazy fast. I drove a Tesla right after they came out and it was a fun car with crazy acceleration, but I couldn't get over the lack of engine noise. It will never feel like a performance car to me without the growl.

What I really don't like is people thinking that they are saving the environment by going with electric vehicles. The battery technology isn't available yet. From what I understand, the current battery technology uses precious resources that are nonrenewable, and in much more limited quantity than fossil fuels. My San Diego neighborhood is full of self absorbed Tesla owners. Most seem to think that driving one gives them priority over us less civilized internal combustion engine powered vehicle driving heathens.

I was disappointed when I saw a Tesla on Stockton Hill Road north of Kingman the other day. It was probably en-route to the Grand Canyon Skywalk or desperately searching for a EV station.. This area is full of hot rods and well maintained older trucks.
Haven't yet seen or heard a Tesla around here. Can you tell me, are they loud enough you can tell they're approaching? And regarding batteries, the lithium might run out before fossil fuels do.

Haven't yet seen or heard a Tesla around here. Can you tell me, are they loud enough you can tell they're approaching? And regarding batteries, the lithium might run out before fossil fuels do.
They’re as loud as any car coasting. Unless you’re accelerating most of a cars noise comes from the tires.

I would say that around Southern California, about 15-20% of vehicles are full electric. They have become some type of status symbol.

When out walking, I've become accustomed to looking for them because you can't hear them coming. And it seems the driver of those vehicles aren't looking where they are going, so you have to be careful.

I would say that around Southern California, about 15-20% of vehicles are full electric. They have become some type of status symbol.

When out walking, I've become accustomed to looking for them because you can't hear them coming. And it seems the driver of those vehicles aren't looking where they are going, so you have to be careful.
That's what I was wondering about. Seems an electric motor would be rather quiet. No muffler or exhaust to make noise.

We're actually looking at ordering a Mach E. It cost me a $100 to fill up the Jag the other day, because it takes premium. That was my "this is ridiculous" moment. It's actually cheaper to drive my Ranger.

We have solar panels, and the wife only commutes about 20-25 miles a day. So I think it could make sense. We take the Ranger on longer trips anyway, so it will not change much. I still have JP has a back up and will have the Navajo up a running soon hopefully.

Now start charging them the highway tax. Gas powered vehicles have been paying their way for too long. Next up is the remove any tax credits for their purchase.

Meanwhile what is CA going to use to charge them all?

California is racing to secure large amounts of power in the next few years to make up for the impending closure of fossil-fuel power plants and a nuclear facility that provides nearly 10% of the electricity generated in the state.

California has already been strained to keep the lights on this year. Wildfires have disrupted power transmission and a severe drought has crimped hydroelectric production throughout the West.

Yeah, well that would be expecting our state leaders to plan ahead. They don't do that here, sorry. They push electric everything while decreasing electricity production. They already have brown outs, imagine what it will be like in 10 years. I am hoping to be on the other side of the iron curtain by then.

Yeah, well that would be expecting our state leaders to plan ahead. They don't do that here, sorry. They push electric everything while decreasing electricity production. They already have brown outs, imagine what it will be like in 10 years. I am hoping to be on the other side of the iron curtain by then.
Electric vehicles are for the most part owned by those who have a home or at least condo. What will those living in high rise or apartments that don't have a garage or the charger installed? Or those who have to part on the street? Before coming home for the evening find a charger and sit for a while or get up a hour or two early to charge?

They will mandate apartments and businesses to have charging stations, if they haven't already.

They will mandate apartments and businesses to have charging stations, if they haven't already.
I can't imagine that working with the legacy electric systems like my duplex and many others around here. Would have to upgrade the wiring/electric service for sure. Glad I'm not in California.

They’d put in new drops, not use what the existing buildings have.

I can't imagine that working with the legacy electric systems like my duplex and many others around here. Would have to upgrade the wiring/electric service for sure. Glad I'm not in California.
There you go again, thinking practically. You need to forget all that nonsense about it not working with older electrical systems and just pass a law that mandates it regardless of if it can actually be done or not. Then, and only then, can you become a California politician. None of them would understand what you were talking about anyway because they are basically worthless people.

Just some random thoughts

Ever wonder why most appliances which require rotational torque are electric? Add most shop equipment is electric?
Is a gas powered air compressor really better? More economical?

It takes quite a bit of energy to get the fuel into the tanks for us to use. Where it is pumped to us by electric pumps.

When electricity is not available neither is fuel.

Electric vehicles are for the most part owned by those who have a home or at least condo. What will those living in high rise or apartments that don't have a garage or the charger installed? Or those who have to part on the street? Before coming home for the evening find a charger and sit for a while or get up a hour or two early to charge?
Pretty sure they made cars before gas stations. Gas stations will have to convert.

edit. The market will always support demand. Could be every block or 2 there is a secured garage-charging station, paid for in many different ways.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There you go again, thinking practically. You need to forget all that nonsense about it not working with older electrical systems and just pass a law that mandates it regardless of if it can actually be done or not. Then, and only then, can you become a California politician. None of them would understand what you were talking about anyway because they are basically worthless people.
Any needed conversion can be made - with enough money! WHO PAYS is the relevant question. Taxpayers are already paying for the rebates, highway taxes, and any incentive tax money to be given out. Any tax on a company gets passed through to its customers. And electricity rate rises will be the hardest on low income workers who need to drive to work.

Back