If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+)

cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 King Ranch 4wd 3.0T
As the title says - if you were in the same position today - You would still buy your 6th Gen (2020+) Explorer or something else/different trim?

As I am considering a 22 Explorer (would be my 4th) i am strongly considering a 22 King Ranch or the all new 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trail Hawk or Overland)
These vehicles are in the same group, but aren't at the same time. I took advantage of the crazy used market and sold my Outback XT Limited a few weeks ago to Carmax for more than purchased 18 month ago. So we are putting the money aside and any payments that we would have been making to apply towards the new purchase next year. As such we are now we are one car house - a slightly modified Subaru Forester and want my next purchase to have some light off-road ability as well.

My next purchase likely narrowed down to 22 King Ranch or the all new 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trail Hawk or Overland) (Wanted an F-150 but just won't quite fit in our garage (just slightly too long) ... SO - I am wanting to stay under or very close to $60k and of course Jeep (Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis has some history for quality issues but certainly have improved) and not like Ford doesn't have their issues as well.

Not really interested in the Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride or Chevy Traverse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure if I understand what your question is? We purchased a 2022 XLT EX with SAP in December of 2021. Received roughly 4.5-5 k off MSRP which from my understanding those deals are a thing of the past. The owner of the dealership is an acquaintance of mine and I have bought several other vehicles from his dealership group. We looked at an ST but the power 100hp increase wasn't worth it and the black out wheels and trim is not for me. In the SAP models this is carbonized grey and not black. We really do not have any regrets other than some quality issues as has been stated from the Chicago plant. It is under warranty and we have the ESP to 100k miles. So far mechanically it has been a good vehicle but we have had some issues with the drivers seat, a bad connector on an airbag and some other questionable quality issues.

Jeep has some good quality and their vehicles are fine, the new Cherokee looks like it bench-marked the Explorer. As far as the rest, your Subaru will be worth more money long term and has better resale value than either the Ford or Jeep. I am a Subaru person myself and still have my WRX/ STI and they are great vehicles. The AWD on the Outback and Forester is very good and in a lot of ways better than the AWD systems offered by Ford in the Explorer and on par with the Jeep systems. Symmetrical half shafts and a locking center diff with vectoring controls means the Subaru system will just simply out perform the Ford system and more than likely the Jeep system as well.

With that said, the Ford Explorer is a great SUV and is more than capable for light off road use and as far as the street goes, it is very comfortable.

As the title says - if you were in the same position today - You would still buy your Explorer or something else/different trim?

As I am considering a 22 Explorer (would be my 4th) i am strongly considering a 22 King Ranch or the all new 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trail Hawk or Overland)
These vehicles are in the same group, but aren't at the same time. I took advantage of the crazy used market and sold my Outback XT Limited a few weeks ago to Carmax for more than purchased 18 month ago. So we are putting the money aside and any payments that we would have been making to apply towards the new purchase next year. As such we are now we are one car house - a slightly modified Subaru Forester and want my next purchase to have some light off-road ability as well.

My next purchase likely narrowed down to 22 King Ranch or the all new 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trail Hawk or Overland) (Wanted an F-150 but just won't quite fit in our garage (just slightly too long) ... SO - I am wanting to stay under or very close to $60k and of course Jeep (Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis has some history for quality issues but certainly have improved) and not like Ford doesn't have their issues as well.

Not really interested in the Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride or Chevy Traverse.
Nope

Yes. I would definitely get another Aviator. No hesitation about that at all.

Peter

We had several issues with our 2020 Aviator to the point we were done with it. We cross shopped pretty much all the other luxury brands and still ended up buying a new 2022 Aviator.

If the new Navigator would have had the hybrid option we would have moved to it, to avoid the Chicago plant.

If you are worrying about issues maybe price an Aviator and see where you end up. With Lincoln you get pick up and delivery. That is where the bring you a loaner and take your car in when you need any maintenance or repairs (if your Lincoln dealer is nearish by I do not remember the mileage but my dealer drives over 30mins one way to get ours).

However like I said we never had repeat issues with our old one but just several dumb issues. Someone will likely get a good used vehicle ha.

Granted I say all this and our brand new 2022 has to go into the shop to have the front end disassembled all way down to the core support so it can be put back together correctly so there is a 1in gap between the hood and headlight. However, oddly I haven't had any issue that has made me question the long term reliability of of either vehicle.

If I was given the same deal I got our Platinum for (50k~, fully loaded), definitely would. Getting almost 5k more than what we owed on our Explorer Sport made this a much sweeter deal.

At MSRP or near? Would've gone for the Aviator.

Yes, I have the 2021 Platinum and would purchase one again. In spite of the acoustic issues I've dealt with and partially solved with the help of forum members and my own engineering expertise, the vehicle is very much to my liking.

Depends if it's all that's available. If it is...then yes. I'd buy it again. Good station wagon with zero problems. 20,000km.

Yes,
I am very pleased with my 2020 Platinum, it came standard with almost everything except the tech package, which I added. Only a couple of minor issues, waiting on the rear camera recall letter.

1963 427 Galaxie, 1970 Maverick w/Cobra suspension from a Mustang, 1991 Explorer 4X4,
1992 Mustang GT, 2000 Expy 4X4, 2003 Expy 4X4 2008 Ford Edge.

What is a Jeep?

Yes,
I am very pleased with my 2020 Platinum, it came standard with almost everything except the tech package, which I added. Only a couple of minor issues, waiting on the rear camera recall letter.
Dont need to, you can call a local dealer, give them your vin number and itll appear on their end.

Or, if you have the Ford pass, itll show an announcement on the top left corner in the main home screen. You can schedule an appointment for that in the announcement.

As the title says - if you were in the same position today - You would still buy your Explorer or something else/different trim?

My honest answer to this would be the jeep GC overland or summit, with air suspension option. I sold my 2015 jeep gc high altitude tp try out the 20 explorer st because i wanted to try something other than jeep. The minor flaws in the ford around the car is a bit too much to pass quality control. Specially for a 60k+ car. And if you like the ability to customize your settings and screens. The new jeep infotainment system is much much more intuitive and faster as the ford is pretty slow. Jeep GC has front facing night vision camera that is able to show u animals, humans beyond the headlights can see. Heads up display, cornering lights, N most importantly the off road capability of a jeep in my opinion from experience is unbeaten. Like the slogan says. Jeep, theres only one. But even after knowing all that i decided to give the explorer st a try. And while it has his flaws its a fun car to drive! My next car no doubt will be a jeep again. Once u see the quality work n dedication put into a jeep its hard to move on to something else 😬

I have had loaded up explorers since I was in college. I had a used 1992 Eddie Bauer, and new 2003 eb, 2007 eb, 2011 limited, and have a 2017 platinum now. I have had a rivian r1s on preorder for over a year.

The explorers have been great and I loved them for off road camping in college, road trips with the wife, and now for the family with three kids but for the coin they want for a platinum explorer these days I want the performance of an electric SUV and software and tech that part of the vehicle design and not a "cheapest we can do" afterthought. I think Ford is getting there is the f150 hybrid and electric, the tech looks good, but my father (who has owned a number of expeditions and explorers over the years) just got a 2021 explorer and I found it really disappointing with things like a receiver hitch and center tech panel that both look and function like they both added by the car carrier driver in the parking lot.

Honestly, if I were in your shoes I would wait. The Explorer is 1 Model Year away from a refresh and that includes finally getting rid of the garbage 10.1” Sync 3 display. That’s my biggest complaint on my 2022 Explorer Platinum is the back up camera and 360 camera are the size of the 4.2” screen LMFAO. Actually the worst designed screen and lay out of all time. Sync 4 will come out for the Explorer in 2023 and they’ll probably give them the 15.5” like the Mach e and expedition. Either that or they’ll get the bad ass 12” sync 4. Long story short, wait one more year unlike me. & if you don’t want to wait. I’ll sell you my 2022 platinum when it arrives and I’ll wait to order a 2023 lmao.

.....................................Sync 4 will come out for the Explorer in 2023 and they’ll probably give them the 15.5” like the Mach e and expedition. Either that or they’ll get the bad ass 12” sync 4. Long story short, wait one more year unlike me. & if you don’t want to wait. I’ll sell you my 2022 platinum when it arrives and I’ll wait to order a 2023 lmao.
Ford is already looking at Google Android to replace 'Sync' so even Sync 4 won't be around very long.

Peter

I bought a CPO Explorer Platinum in April. It only had about 23K miles and we got a decent deal.

We subsequently decided to buy a travel trailer and we're limited by the towing capacity. Even a couple thousand more pounds would greatly increase our options, especially for dual axle models.

I probably would have purchased an Expedition instead because I really wanted a 4WD SUV.

I already have an older 2WD F150 that's lowered to make it easier to load my race motorcycles, and it doubles for general hauling, but it's a short cab.

Despite your garage size issue, an F150 would have a level of utility that can't be matched by an SUV.

By the way what's wrong with Chicago plant?

21 explorer xlt with sport appearance package....would not consider anything else. Love my explorer. 2.3 is great in it also

I've had 7 explorers and one mountaineer and 2 currently right now. But I have no regrets with any of them... a friend at work lives with mommy and daddy and last year bought a new ST for $52000. No freaking way at $800 plus a month!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 18 Jeep GC as a company vehicle and it has been really solid with no returns for repairs in 70k miles. This is pretty good for a company vehicle that goes off road (construction sites) with different drivers. Meanwhile, my personal 16 Explorer has been in for numerous issues and just back from 5 weeks at the dealer for a transmission rebuild at 50k miles only to find the plastic trim on the D pillar (behind the windows by the rear hatch) is cracked on one side and stressed on the other (you can see the bend in the plastic).

I would probably get a JGC in retrospect, but not necessary the new models (although I have been looking at the JGC L). I'd give it a year or two to get some bugs worked out, especially after my current ordeal with the Explorer.

One item of note though is the regular maintenance costs. Our JGC runs 0W-20 synthetic (maybe it's 0W-30?). The Jeep/Ram dealer near me wants $125 for essentially "the Works" (oil change, filter, and tire rotation) whereas that's more like $65 at the Ford dealer, if you don't do you own maintenance.

Back