D35 TTB D44 6lug knuckle conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

D35 TTB D44 6lug knuckle conversion

Goal is to convert the D35 to 6 lug while increasing strength and durability.

Please save your breath about why I should just save all the time time and money and just do a SAS because it’s better in every way. I’m a nerd and TTB is one reason I love old midsize Ford Junk.

Subject is currently 200% stock 93 X
3.73 5spd
Build goal - Budget minded daily driver with good road manners, decent flex, max traction (lots of snow) Family friendly trail rig for hunting camping and dicking off.
I’m aiming for comfy suspension and will retain small tires for now so I can still hit highway speeds with the stock gearing. Will probably go to a max of 33’s if I get the hybrid gear swap done in the trans.

After looking at current wheel tire availability and trends of manufacturers I have decided to swap to 6 lug. This will allow wheel tire commonality with my other rigs as well as make sourcing a set of modern OE 6 lug wheels easy. I’m thinking some 17” 2019 ranger or raptor takeoffs could be cool

Yes I know they make adapters and at least on the front I’m against it.

I haven’t seen this exact setup except for some in the desert crowd so please let me know if I’ve got something wrong.

In order to attain the front 6 lug conversion I’ll be performing the D44 knuckle swap from a full size F-150. I use the D44 outer stub and ream the beam to fit the D44 ball joint as has been discussed many times. To get the 6 lug gm pattern from here I need help. From what I’ve read I should be able to interchange the GM D44 spindle, brake bracket, bearings, rotor, hub.

I know there is a year change for “big bearing” or “small bearing” in the GM D44
And I know there are also some differences in the for D44 as far as abs or not etc.

Has anyone done this? Anyone have any more pieces to my puzzle?

I’d also consider just doing the spindle swap if that gets me there but it seems like the knuckle swap is preferred.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I’ve read I should be able to interchange the GM D44 spindle, brake bracket, bearings, rotor, hub.

Ford and Chevy spindles are not interchangeable. Ford uses 5 studs and Chevy/FSJ use 6 studs. The brake brackets do not either for the same reason. Bearings, rotor and hub might, I dont recall the specifics on that.

he's talking about using the entire che*y knuckle I believe?

No, I don’t think any SFA knuckle will swap to the TTB. I had read that a GM D44?spindle can interchange with a Ford D44 spindle. I’ve also read of guys swapping “GM brakes” onto their D35 but not many details offered of how that was accomplished other than that with the GM spindle and brake bracket you have to use the longer GM bolts to attach it because of the brake bracket. Possibly this is achieved through some re-drilling or machining?

he's talking about using the entire che*y knuckle I believe?,

Ford and Chevy spindles are not interchangeable. Ford uses 5 studs and Chevy/FSJ use 6 studs. The brake brackets do not either for the same reason. Bearings, rotor and hub might, I dont recall the specifics on that.
Ok well I dug this up and is probably what is the missing link some years of Ford spindle were actually 6 hole pattern.

D5A0D807-0655-4980-9F84-C8C7DB47A513.jpeg

Yes I have the 6 bolt
Hole spindles on my 86 Bigfoot cruiser f250 plow truck it had a hybrid Dana 44/50 ttb
Plowing with it I have now broken both axle shafts and replaced both knuckles. We went from Dana 44 u joints and axle shafts to Dana 50 u joints and axle shafts using junk yard parts.
Let me tell you how much fun it is to learn about the Dana 44 hd and Dana 50 ttb parts differences in the middle of winter with a broken plow truck on the road and the closest junk yard 1.5 hours away. Why ford ever used Dana 44 small parts in a heavy duty 460 powered f250 is beyond me. Regardless
Both sides are now Dana 50 parts, which uses the 1330 series i joints and the 6 lug spindles, however the bolt circle for the wheel is still 5 on 5.5

Fun fact did you guys know there is a Dana 44 ttb diff out there that is very rare because it uses a pass side axle retainer that bolts on, no c clip, if you find one of these diffs it is rumored to be worth $800-1500 on eBay because many desert trucks run the d44 ttb and having that external axle shaft retainer for the pass side is super desirable
Shhhhhhhhh

Fun fact did you guys know there is a Dana 44 ttb diff out there that is very rare because it uses a pass side axle retainer that bolts on, no c clip, if you find one of these diffs it is rumored to be worth $800-1500 on eBay because many desert trucks run the d44 ttb and having that external axle shaft retainer for the pass side is super desirable
Shhhhhhhhh
I had one of those once. I did sell the bare housing on ebay to southern California but for nowhere near that amount but it was for more $ than a normal 44 diff. I remember the outer axle being incredibly hard to remove and yes the retainer was unbolted :D

DSC_1233.JPG

Back